SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:44 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3171scott View Post
HS 45's were never intended to be used on a 20 to 30 oz plane! They are used on foammies. 3Dhs is now recomends using 65's on the ailerons on the 34 inch EPP edge, that plane finishes out at 6 maybe 7 oz.

With a 40 inch span, take away the fuse with lets say 4 inch for instance, subtract that and divide by 2, you mostlikley have a 13 to 14 inch aileron and with a 20 to 30 oz plane thats a lot of torque for a 45.
Again just some food for thought.
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/41-Edge-5...e_p_14908.html

Says you can use HS45s and I used them on my 41" with no problem for hundreds of flights.
Park_aviator is online now Find More Posts by Park_aviator
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:45 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
I think i am going to attempt to use these...

http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...ini-servo.html
I would check to see how well they center? I tryed to use towerpro's about 6 years agao and they were junk. they might be better now not sure. I would google them and see

The servo is the direct link between you and the control surfes, I dont like to skimp here. you can have the best radio system but skimp here and you could lose your plane.
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:48 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/41-Edge-5...e_p_14908.html

Says you can use HS45s and I used them on my 41" with no problem for hundreds of flights.
again do what you want. but reed the fine print. QTY 4 Hitec HS-45HB is the lightweight option, but these require perfect setup for best performance.
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:49 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
42" Aj slick: Servo notes:
The HS-45HB is only for use with very light setups such as the 72g Omega or 480-sized outrunners. Being a very light servo, it requires perfect installation for best performance. The HS-65MG is a heavier, but much more rugged servo that is more forgiving of less-than-perfect installation.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:50 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
again do what you want. but reed the fine print. QTY 4 Hitec HS-45HB is the lightweight option, but these require perfect setup for best performance.
Yeah he is running the 72g not the 103g so his would be the "lightweight" setup. Anything requires perfect setup for best performance.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:52 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,028 Posts
Quote:
But it doesn't say the HS-45s will not work. Let's not argue about a setup It's all for fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
42" Aj slick: Servo notes:
The HS-45HB is only for use with very light setups such as the 72g Omega or 480-sized outrunners. Being a very light servo, it requires perfect installation for best performance. The HS-65MG is a heavier, but much more rugged servo that is more forgiving of less-than-perfect installation.
Yep.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:52 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
I think i am going to attempt to use these...

http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...ini-servo.html
Do not get those last time I heard someone used them on the 42" and they get all crappy really quick, get solar servo's from hobby partz, I have yet to hear bad thing about them.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:55 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
I think Wamsy's EPP Edge had HS-45s all around with the Omega 72 and the plane gave out before the servos did. I've used 45s in my Buck Huck ailerons since day one and they have been great but not this time. I'm going with 4 Solar A107s and I should probably get my Motrolfly 2810-1200 ordered but I'm in no hurry. I've got my Sbach and thanks to it, I'll know what to beef up and what to do differently during the Edge build.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:58 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
I think Wamsy's EPP Edge had HS-45s all around with the Omega 72 and the plane gave out before the servos did. I've used 45s in my Buck Huck ailerons since day one and they have been great but not this time. I'm going with 4 Solar A107s and I should probably get my Motrolfly 2810-1200 ordered but I'm in no hurry. I've got my Sbach and thanks to it, I'll know what to beef up and what to do differently during the Edge build.
Can you let us know what all to beef up?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:03 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
I thought we talked about the solar servo's for this plane already, I forget what size would be the best.

Oh nvm I come back and everybody is already talking about what I was looking for lol.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:28 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
Do not get those last time I heard someone used them on the 42" and they get all crappy really quick, get solar servo's from hobby partz, I have yet to hear bad thing about them.
Thats interesting. I have heard lots if good things about these tp servos. Never heard if the solar ones. The torque is not near as high on them. Think they will still hold up? I see they are in stock and super cheap.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:34 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
Sure. I'd like to see the kit first. It may not need it. This is 3DHS we're talking about here.

The landing gear slot on the Hokusei gave out on me last weekend after oh... 150 or so flights. I don't think CA is enough there. Epoxy does the trick though. You can get to the front side of the gear slot through the ESC hole in the bottom of the plane for more epoxy coverage. You can cut and peel back the foam behind the gear to access the back side of the slot. A bit more epoxy in there and the wire landing gear will bend like it is supposed to without breaking the slot that holds it. I think I'm even going to epoxy the wire and slot plug in as well.

These fuselages have seams in the foam that you can slice open, peel back, do whatever you need to do to the guts inside and then glue it back together with Welders. The end result looks exactly the same as it did before you started.

I'll be reinforcing my firewall with epoxy instead of CA. Have you seen the KE spins this thing can do?

I am going to run a bead of UHU-Por or Foam safe CA along the hinged edges of all my control surfaces before installing them. They are made of three layers, EPP / Depron / EPP and they will eventually split at the hinges from the forces exerted on them. UHU- Por will not eat the depron layer and is slightly flexible when dry.

My Sbach needed carbon rods to reinforce the horizontal stabilizer. The stab on the Edge is smaller so it may not need this.

Battery strap. Before installing ESC, cut two slots through the foam floor near the side walls in the battery area. Feed strap through from top, run around wood frame underneath and feed back up through the other slot. Easy peasy.

Dont forget to glue the tire onto the tail wheel if it isn't already.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:50 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
Quote:
Thats interesting. I have heard lots if good things about these tp servos. Never heard if the solar ones. The torque is not near as high on them. Think they will still hold up? I see they are in stock and super cheap.
22.2 oz VS. 25 oz at 4.8V, that's not so bad. The Solars have held up just fine for me after 100+ flights on the A107s and 60 flights on the D650s. I think I like the A107s better though. Just remember that they are cheap. They dont come with all the little doodads that more expensive servos come with. Also, I tend to not crash my planes. If I was going to crash my plane, I'd probably go with HS65MGs. Although, I've seen my share of Hitecs go bad lately from things like... riding in the bed of my truck, a mild crash that did no damage to the plane but killed the elevator servo and of course, Wamsy's flying.

Never had much problem with TowerPros either but I've only used their MG90s servos in my scratchbuilt bipe.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:53 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
22.2 oz VS. 25 oz at 4.8V, that's not so bad. The Solars have held up just fine for me after 100+ flights on the A107s and 60 flights on the D650s. I think I like the A107s better though. Just remember that they are cheap. They dont come with all the little doodads that more expensive servos come with. Also, I tend to not crash my planes. If I was going to crash my plane, I'd probably go with HS65MGs. Although, I've seen my share of Hitecs go bad lately from things like... riding in the bed of my truck, a mild crash that did no damage to the plane but killed the elevator servo and of course, Wamsy's flying.

Never had much problem with TowerPros either but I've only used their MG90s servos in my scratchbuilt bipe.
I am not super knowledgeable about servos....so what little doodads are you referring to?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:21 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I am about to order those solar servos from hobbypartz. I was looking at getting a gens ace 1300mah 25c. Think that would be good in this plane?