Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:17 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraplayer View Post
I've noticed that rolls are slower at a full throttle than at minimum speed. I also feel no difference with or without SFGs.
That's a blowback issue. Period. Higher torque servos will fix that.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:27 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
as far as I my left aileron issue, I did get to thinking, it may just seem like its just left aileron and not right because I use left probably 80% of the time. I fly in a counterclockwise circle and when I do rolls, I usually push left aileron to do my rolls, so I may just not be noticing it doing it when I push right aileron because I dont do that very much. one idea. I have swapped servos, loosened all linkages, reset my Rx and Tx, rebound it, tried a different Rx......the only thing i can think of is that my servos just cant handle the blowback. maybe if I could put out 6V they might be able to.
FWIW, if you have a flight control that is simply unresponsive and the flight controls operate freely, it is absolutely not an airframe issue. I don't doubt for a moment that there is an issue with some of the wings being twisted (thus the recommendation to un-twist per 3DHS). FWIW, you're using a $4 servo. Please at least consider that this issue you're having with the "airframe" might entail a faulty $4 servo (or multiple $4 servos). I have been doing this for a very, very long time and once trimmed/rigged, the airframe is almost never the issue. Again, FWIW.

Scott
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:27 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx View Post
That's a blowback issue. Period. Higher torque servos will fix that.

Scott
or the epp flexing.
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:30 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Scott, great to see you on RCG.

Do you have this plane and have you flown it? Did you have a twist issue? Thoughts...
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:34 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
or the epp flexing.
Potentially, although not all that likely in the ailerons (airfoiled and braced). Ele/Rudder, more likely. Most likely is servo torque or setup- based on literally thousands and thousands of flights and hundreds of models. Again, FWIW.

Also, please keep in mind that Joe's is a stock proto.

3D Hobby Shop 40" EDGE 540 EPP Fun pilot Joe Smith (4 min 57 sec)

Scott
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:40 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
Scott, great to see you on RCG.

Do you have this plane and have you flown it? Did you have a twist issue? Thoughts...
Have flown one, no twist issue. Don't currently have one in the hangar (working on future protos coming soon...) That said, large props and high torque motors can reek havoc on shorter wingspan models. In a perfect world, I'd prop this for no more than 9-10 inches for best performance.

Not directly handling one of the models that guys are having issues locally, I understand what you guys are describing but haven't seen it personally. Unfortunately.

Scott
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:44 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2010
214 Posts
I had those $4 servos in mine at first. They are all in the bottom of my tool box now replaced with 65mg's. Flies way better now.
UDO999 is online now Find More Posts by UDO999
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:54 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
I have the solar a107 servos in mine and I'm not noticing anything out of the ordinary. Only have a few flights on it so far. Finally comfortable flying it so now I'll really start flying it. Hahah. So who knows if I'll see anything. Next time I put it up I'll look at high speed rolls and slow speed rolls to see if I am seeing any blowback. Easy enough to replace servos on this thing if I am. Hehe tried to get out and fly it this evening but as soon as I took it out of the car it started raining and wind started blowing. Figures. Hahaha. Maybe tomorrow.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined May 2011
7 Posts
Is there any plans to release a red or different colored edge?
3DHSISEPICS is offline Find More Posts by 3DHSISEPICS
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:53 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
FWIW, if you have a flight control that is simply unresponsive and the flight controls operate freely, it is absolutely not an airframe issue. I don't doubt for a moment that there is an issue with some of the wings being twisted (thus the recommendation to un-twist per 3DHS). FWIW, you're using a $4 servo. Please at least consider that this issue you're having with the "airframe" might entail a faulty $4 servo (or multiple $4 servos). I have been doing this for a very, very long time and once trimmed/rigged, the airframe is almost never the issue. Again, FWIW.

Scott
I appreciate the input. I already stated that i feel the servos could be the problem. I just dont have $100+ to spend on four hitech servos. I am going to try the new power mg servos that are rated at even more torque then the hs65mg.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:03 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,249 Posts
When I had the A107 servos in mine, it was still rolling to the right pretty bad. We had not figured out the wing twist yet and swapping them out was one of the first things I tried. I have not flown mine with the A107s in the straight wing but they are still in the tail and doin' fine.

I have HS-65's in my wings running on 6V. My linkage is on the same holes as shown in manual. I set it to 35 degrees of travel in each direction as measured by my trusty AJ throw meter.

Mine rolls slower at full speed.

Solution: I cranked aileron travel to 40 degrees and let it rip! Blowback shmowback... she rolls faster now! It's foam. Push it harder!

The A107s have since been installed into the wings of my 41 Edge and man... I should have put bigger servos in it long ago. The speed of the high rate rolls and the precision of the stop points are very impressive. I used HS-45s in the wings until one of those died for no apparent reason. It rolled fast and stopped quick but not like it does now. I didn't know what I was missing!

Unfortunately, cheap servos, no... scratch that. Servos in general can always be hit or miss. I just pulled an HXT900 and two HXT500s out of a foamy that survived a beating like nothing I've ever seen. Those servos should have stripped, burned, melted and died a long time ago and yet they still work perfectly, as do all of my Solars. I've got HXT500s in the tail of my Crack Pitts and that little bipe takes a few beatings every week. No problems whatsoever. But... in my toolbox right now is an HS-82MG that flew less than dozen flights before it developed a random jitter after a mild crash (more of a flop in the grass) that broke nothing else on the plane. Also, the previously mentioned HS-45, never crashed, never abused but still died for reasons unknown. I guess what I'm saying is when it comes to servos, particularly cheap ones, buy spares and be happy if you don't need them.

I can't wait to hear more about those future prototypes. It seems that I have a preference for Mr. Stoops' designs. No Slicks for me. Only Edges and Extras here.

and Sbachs... err... XA42s.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Last edited by SD One.; Sep 04, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:45 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I agree with you SD. servos just seem to be hit or miss. the only servo i have ever had go bad on me is a cheapo Blitzrcworks one that came in a Bananahobby plane I bought. I have used HXT900's and Emax servos with no issues at all. I am using 9g Emax plastic gear servos in my Eflite Extra 260 3D ailerons and have had no issues with blowback or anything. And they arent even supposed to have the torque of the Solar A107's. And if the Solars are working great in your 41" Edge ailerons, I would think they could handle this planes. i have heard numerous stories of Hitec servos going bad quickly and for no reason as well, but also hear many good stories. seems just hit or miss.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Quote:
(working on future protos coming soon...)

Scott
Interested
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
I appreciate the input. I already stated that i feel the servos could be the problem. I just dont have $100+ to spend on four hitech servos. I am going to try the new power mg servos that are rated at even more torque then the hs65mg.
Why would you purchase a plane the requires quality servos and then say you cant afford them? I have been fallowing this thread from day one and hade discussions with a few pilots on the servos. FYI you cant purchase a high performance machine and put lesser equipment in it and expect great results!!!!!!!!!

Another FYI airframes are usually only 1/3rd of the cost of a complete quality 3d plane! The help has been given out by the experts if you chose to not fallow them, move on .Leave the forum to the pilots that are having fun and want to truly learn and listen.
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:55 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3171scott View Post
Why would you purchase a plane the requires quality servos and then say you cant afford them? I have been fallowing this thread from day one and hade discussions with a few pilots on the servos. FYI you cant purchase a high performance machine and put lesser equipment in it and expect great results!!!!!!!!!

Another FYI airframes are usually only 1/3rd of the cost of a complete quality 3d plane! The help has been given out by the experts if you chose to not fallow them, move on .Leave the forum to the pilots that are having fun and want to truly learn and listen.
dude, what the heck? that was really harsh. not everyone has money to blow on stuff. I would venture to say there are more people posting on here that are NOT using the Hitec servos then ones that are. Several on here are using the Solar servos and several have used the New Power ones too. You are acting like I am the only one not using Hitec servos. Did you not read the last few posts from others on here that are NOT using them and are using the same ones I am???? why the heck are you jumping on me and telling me to get out of the forums and out of the hobby just because I am not using hitec servos? geez man.....

who said I didnt want to learn and listen? That is all I have been doing on here is listening and learning. So I am supposed to "learn" by leaving the forums. right.....makes sense. I am using the recommended Omega motor and a CC ESC. the only thing I didnt get from 3dhs recommendations is the servos and as previously states by several, the Hitec brand servos can also go bad for no reason. I have read many reports of that happening in other forums as well.