HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:08 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
As always great work KTM. Still love that 33 epp extra you lit up in you avatar.
I do probably 10 times more night flying than I do day flying in the summer. It's a friggin blast!

I'll tell you one thing for sure... I'm very used to planes that have the light strips on them. COMPLETELY different trying to fly something with the fuse lit up like this one. Mind plays tricks on you when the LEDs come in and out of view at different angles. Have to get used to looking at the PLANE, not the LEDs!
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:18 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,021 Posts
Those who fly this on the omega 72, do you think its enough power? It feels lacking to me...
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:51 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
Those who fly this on the omega 72, do you think its enough power? It feels lacking to me...
I think the 72 is fine. Going to run out to the park and get it in some more open space and see what I think after that. Note that I am no where near a good enough pilot to push this thing to its fullest potential however.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:54 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Alrighty! Six good flights under the belt.

I think this plane will take a bit to grow on me. It definitely flies different than anything else I've had before. This is my first "full fuse" foamie. This thing begs to be flown aggressively! I'm still trying to acclimate to the night lights lighting up the air frame. Just not used to that yet. So it was difficult for me to fly it like it wants to be flown.

I really thought this thing would be more floaty. The air frame with no battery weighs 21.5oz. The Genesis Power 1600 mAh packs I'm using weigh 4.7oz. So that is an AUW of 26.2oz, which is well below the advertised AUW of 28-32oz. I guess this thing just flies more like balsa and less like a small foamy.

I had 45 degrees of elevator deflection and it feels like it wants more than that to do harriers. 35 degrees of aileron seems to be about right. The New Power XL-9HMBs seem to work fine and have no issues with the ailerons. Although I haven't done any sustained full throttle rolls to really check it out, they seem to run them just fine for me. Which is what I would have expected as they also work good on the 44" Telink Extra Slick I have...

This thing did knife edge pretty good out of the box. I added in a little bit of mixing and it seems real good now.

Did half of a blender to finish the night off. That thing spins so wicked fast it scared me. I think I better not do those at night just yet. =)

I like the plane and I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with it. Wish my flying skills were up to its task! Maybe another winter of indoor flying will have me more prepared to wring this thing out next year. In the mean time... I think I'll fly it within my abilities and try to learn something. Might need to spend a little time with it in the day to help acclimate myself.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:51 AM
Yury
Россия, город Москва, город Москва
Joined Nov 2010
96 Posts
Quote:
Have Omega 72g and Hacker A30-16m
Decided to use Omega first and was really surprised as the bird has monster power with this motor on 3s 1800mah 30C and VOX 11x5 prop.

The timer is set for 7 min
uraplayer is offline Find More Posts by uraplayer
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:47 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraplayer View Post
Have Omega 72g and Hacker A30-16m
Decided to use Omega first and was really surprised as the bird has monster power with this motor on 3s 1800mah 30C and VOX 11x5 prop.

The timer is set for 7 min
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
I think the 72 is fine. Going to run out to the park and get it in some more open space and see what I think after that. Note that I am no where near a good enough pilot to push this thing to its fullest potential however.
Hmm, maybe I was just using tired packs... I'll try with some of my newer ones today.
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:49 AM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Yeah the 72 is plenty. It's a rocket ship going vertical. At least mine is. Hoping to get some flights in later on but looks like rain the next couple of days.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:34 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,353 Posts
Quote:
72g is plenty, had a friend fly it the other day who has the 48" epp and does a lot of balsa 3d and he said he could not imagine putting a larger motor in it, already has tons of power with the 72g. I'm running only 1300mah batteries and get 5 to 7 min flight times. I love having live battery telemetry on the Hitec A9 instead of using a timer.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:25 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,290 Posts
Weak batteries make motors sad.

My 25-35C 1300 Turnigy's are adequate but make me want MORE POWER!!! My 30C 1300 Skys turn it into a rocket, as do the 40C 1600s. Unfortunately, both of my 1300 Sky packs are starting to puff after 25 or so flights each and they have never been flown more than 4:30 per flight. On the bright side, they were $11 bucks apiece and they still put a big grin on my face every time I fly them.

She don't fly like other planes and as I've said before, some will like it and some won't. I do recommend giving her a dozen good flights before you make that decision. You might just change your mind once you begin to understand the madness that is the 40 Edge.

That is... if it's not rolling into the earth. Mine has held up great and I don't even worry about the twist anymore. It is sad but understandable to see so many giving up on it after their troubles with it.

Does anyone else enjoy the flat turns as much as me? I love slapping the rudder to full throw on this thing and just letting it go round and round across the field. It's a hoot!
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Last edited by SD One.; Sep 04, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:00 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Yea you said it "flew differently", its just hard to get a grasp on that until you fly it yourself!

It seems to me like this thing wants to have a prop spinning in order for the tail to have any authority. Chop the throttle and try to do an elevator and mine seems to get wishy washy and harder to control. Like I've said before, the only way I know how to describe it is "not as floaty as I expected".

3DHS advertises this thing as an extreme 3D machine. I imagined that meant good for doing high energy maneuvers and I think I was on target with that assumption. Big sky precision flying or graceful and slow high alpha maneuvers? Not so much. I've been wanting to learn how to do a pop top. I think this will be the perfect plane to figure that out on!

How much elevator throw do you guys have? Mine has 45 degrees with throw on the TX maxed out at 150%. Doing some harriers last night I found myself at full up elevator with the only way to get the nose up beyond that was more throttle. I'm already on the far outside hole on the servo arm, and 3 holes in on the elevator control arm. Could go all the way to the inner hole I guess, but didn't want to sacrifice resolution and compromise mechanical efficiency any more if I don't need to. You guys find you are wanting more than 45 degrees on the elevator?
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:05 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
I've got about 45 degrees on mine. Haven't done much harrier flying with it just been flinging it around they sky. I'll try doing some later of the wind and rain lets and report back how they were. This thing is a blast to fly and so different from all the profile foamies I have. Takes some getting used to how heavy it is and how much momentum it really carries thru stuff. So much fun.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,353 Posts
I'm new to 3D flying and don't really know much yet but a friend was able to do some impressive stuff with this plane. I was debating "cheating" for attempting harriers by having a mode where the elevator is mixed into the ailerons. Thoughts? Every time I try either I can't get the tail to drop or it stalls out on me. Can't find the happy medium.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:58 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I'm new to 3D flying and don't really know much yet but a friend was able to do some impressive stuff with this plane. I was debating "cheating" for attempting harriers by having a mode where the elevator is mixed into the ailerons. Thoughts? Every time I try either I can't get the tail to drop or it stalls out on me. Can't find the happy medium.
Elevator to aileron mix? Never heard of that one before! Not sure how it would help.......

I'm no expert, but in my limited experience, this plane isn't a good choice for a first 3D plane. It's just not that forgiving and the short fuse makes it twitchy for "normal" flying. My 41" 3DHS Edge (balsa) is more forgiving and flies more "floaty" than this thing. I think the best thing to start with for the new 3D pilot is a 32-34" profile EPP plane. I've got the 33" Extra and the 34" Edge from 3DHS and they are both awesome, but they don't appear to be selling them anymore. Looking to TwistedHobbies.com if I need to replace either of those planes. And I think my next try at finding the perfect plane to fly in a little more wind but still in the vacant lot across the street is going to be that RCF 39" Flash. I was going to get one of those over this Edge, but I already had batteries for the 40" Edge so I thought I would give it a shot!
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:03 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,353 Posts
The thought was to give it a little more lift with the ailerons. I'm sure I'll get it eventually. This thing is awesome in the wind so far which is what I wanted. Though making crosswind landings was a bit tricky this weekend. We have too many windy days here for a profile plane that small plus I fly off grass.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:33 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
The thought was to give it a little more lift with the ailerons. I'm sure I'll get it eventually. This thing is awesome in the wind so far which is what I wanted. Though making crosswind landings was a bit tricky this weekend. We have too many windy days here for a profile plane that small plus I fly off grass.
Small profile EPP plane is great on grass (don't put the landing gear on it, just hand launch for take off and harrier and belly flop to the grass for landing).

Small profile EPP plane NOT great in the wind. That is why I have night lights on two of mine so I can fly after the wind has calmed down a bit.

This Edge does handle the wind nicely!