HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:31 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
Good flights this evening. Edge still doing well. I put a streamer on it and tried to cut it off in a KE Spin but it didn't happen. Looks funny hovering with a streamer.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:40 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Sky lipo 1600's slide right under the wing. No cutting of the wing necessary.
Thanks nickel I'll have to look into getting a couple of those.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:58 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
Oh quick question my gens ace 1300s are pretty tight under the front of the wing. Anyone found anything that slides under a bit more easily or did folks just cut a bit out of the nose of the wing? I would like to keep the wing in tact as it does a nice job of helping to hold the battery down. Hehe.
Oddly my plane balanced with 1300s pushed up against the firewall. Exact opposite of yours.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:59 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Yeah mine are tucked just under the wing. Not real far but definetly tucked under.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:06 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Oddly my plane balanced with 1300s pushed up against the firewall. Exact opposite of yours.
my 1300's go against the firewall too. 1600's go under the wing about 1/4
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:13 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Hmmm weird. Mine was extremely nose heavy up there. Like scary almost put it on the ground nose heavy.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:13 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Pancake...it's not just for breakfast anymore.

Pancake Anyone? (1 min 52 sec)

My poor plane - that sound at the end reminded me of the funny/sick sound people make when they get the wind knocked out of them. All's good, though - a little bit of CA and she was back in the air for more abuse. This is why I like EPP planes - if you reinforce them up front, they can take a lot of abuse.

Note to self - rolling hovers overhead is a BAD idea. It never works out in RF6, so I don't know why I did it...other than it looks cool.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
I was plugging in the batteries to the charger when I heard the splatter and saw Jboy's EPP flat on the ground. Quite a scene . It was a great 3 hours of flying. I managed to rip one of the SGFs in half doing high power snap roll over and over.

Flying the EPP was fun. However, landing the bigger balsa planes today was a bit sketchy on super short runway and without the aid of the wind.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:38 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm weird. Mine was extremely nose heavy up there. Like scary almost put it on the ground nose heavy.
Strange. I re-inforced the nose of mine EPP and the nano-tech 1300 is neither against the firewall nor at the leading edge of the wings.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:11 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,259 Posts
Quote:
Put heavier servos in the tail All depends on how you built it and with what. Doesn't take adding much weight in the tail to change the balance. Though generally you don't want to add weight unless you have to.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:32 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
That's true grim I can probably do that. And it wont take much to move the cg a little bit. I sent with the solar a107s. Maybe jump up to the slightly heavier ones. Or before doing that I'll tape a couple quarters back there to see. It doesn't fly bad at all but if I could get the battery from having to jab a quarter of it under the wing it would make life easier.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:04 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
My 1300s just go where they fall. They don't touch the firewall because of the motor shaft sticking through it but they don't go under the wing either. Wherever they land, I strap em in and fly.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:11 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Well, it was inevitable given the way I was flying it. I destroyed mine today doing rollers. Nothing I hadn't done before, but today the wind must have caught it while it was inverted, causing it to dive. Rather than pushing on the elevator to catch it, I dumb thumbed it and pulled. Nosed right into the ground at full speed. I knew when it hit, that it was a goner.

Now it's back practicing on my 48" EPP planes for the day I bring my balsa planes to the deck for more than just landing. It was fun while it lasted, though.

Final flight of my 3DHS 40" EPP Edge 540 (0 min 45 sec)
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:30 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
Well, it was inevitable given the way I was flying it. I destroyed mine today doing rollers. Nothing I hadn't done before, but today the wind must have caught it while it was inverted, causing it to dive. Rather than pushing on the elevator to catch it, I dumb thumbed it and pulled. Nosed right into the ground at full speed. I knew when it hit, that it was a goner.

Now it's back practicing on my 48" EPP planes for the day I bring my balsa planes to the deck for more than just landing. It was fun while it lasted, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds4MHnQuhWM
Bummer
Hoped you liked it though
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:34 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
Sorry to see a that happening. comparing to your 48" extra's vedio, you brought the edge much closer the deck and did a slow roller at near WOT... Seems that at least the edge boosted up your confidence a lot.

Anyhow, it looks repairable to me. I would use CF rods and straps and cut some plywoods to rebuild the front. Should be a nice weekend project.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT