Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 11, 2001, 04:06 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2001
466 Posts
Would like to set up TwinStar for aerial shots

I've searched the posts, and everyone seems to recommend the TwinStar for camera applications. Lucky, because I have one! I was thinking about getting a cheap 35mm camera with autowind - for the price, you can't really go wrong.

Where is the best location on the airframe for pictures? Under the wing? On the fuselage side?

Can anyone recommend a cheap 35mm camera (under 20) that is also LIGHT? There are loads in the Argos catalogue, but of course they don't tell you the weight.

Has anyone used an electronic switch instead of a servo to work the shutter? You could open up the camera, and put a relay switch in place of the shutter button. It would be lighter and more reliable than a mechanical link (IMHO).

Thanks for any replies,
Ben C
Ben C is offline Find More Posts by Ben C
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2001, 04:35 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,488 Posts
Ben,

The APS format camera's are smaller & lighter than 35mm, although processing costs are higher.

I'd say that putting your camera below the wing, not only robs you of a fair chunk of wing area, but also tends to yield plan/map type pictures. A fuselage mounted camera won't disrupt airflow too much and gives you shots with depth.

The camera doesn't need auto-focus, because everything is at infinity, and disabling the flash will lengthen battery life too!

Details of the installation I've using can be found under my name on Steve DiStasios site;
http://www.squid-ink.com/hpn/rc-photos/index.htm

The TS is a great platform for aerial shots; being lightweight & handlaunched you can fly it virtually anywhere. A lot of fliers have attached cameras to heavier models quite successfully, only to find that they can only fly at the club strip.

I get a success rate of around 25%. Having selected my target, a couple of flights will see off 25 exposures.

Anyway, here's a skyscape shot of the Shropshire Plain from several hundred feet above our club strip.

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Nov 11, 2001, 05:10 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2001
466 Posts
Now THAT is a shot worth flying for. Nice one, Tim!

I did consider APS film but the processing costs are way too high. I'll stick with 35mm film, I think.

How did you bypass the flash? Cut the wires going to it?

How do you mount the camera on the fuselage, behind the wing, and still maintain balance?

Do you know of anyone who has used an electronic switch? Or, put another way, what is the lightest servo that will do the job without being damaged on landings?

Thanks,
Ben
Old Nov 11, 2001, 12:20 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben C
Now THAT is a shot worth flying for. Nice one, Tim!

How did you bypass the flash? Cut the wires going to it?

How do you mount the camera on the fuselage, behind the wing, and still maintain balance?

Do you know of anyone who has used an electronic switch? Or, put another way, what is the lightest servo that will do the job without being damaged on landings?
[/B][/QUOTE]

Ben,

Thanks for the compliment!

No need to permanantly nobble the flash - just turn it off! The camera is velcro'd to a balsa plate which, in turn, is screwed to small blocks recessed into the fuselage. The mount is on the CG itself.

I've no details on fancy actuation systems; preferring the quick'n'dirty method myself!

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Nov 11, 2001, 12:29 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,100 Posts
"Quick'n'dirty method?" Tim is entirely too modest. Did you notice that cleverly designed "safety system" where the strap for the camera is separately attached to the plane? Now that's superior engineering!

BTW, I just dispense with any fancy ply plates and such, and just hold the camera to the fuse at the CG with a couple of big rubber bands that go all the way around the fuse. I use a little wedge of foam to angle the camera down slightly so I don't get a hunk of wing in the top of the photo.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Last edited by Neil Morse; Nov 11, 2001 at 12:33 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2001, 12:31 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2001
466 Posts
Is the camera pointing down slightly? I assume that it is, otherwise the prop and wing would be in the shot too.

Ben C