HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,292 Posts
Hi Lincoln,
Do you also have an arrangement with wire instead of rubber bands for the single servo arrangement like Craig's in post 9.
Thanks
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:40 PM
"Get 'er Up"
Wichita, KS
Joined Nov 2008
103 Posts
I've used both cable/string and direct wing servo methods for actuating spoilers and I much prefer the servo route. Servos in the wing provide a very positive and precise spoiler control movement which is very easy to adjust with end-point travel and trim adjustments from the transmitter. Another big plus is that plugging in the servos leads is much more convenient than connecting the strings/cable in the fuselage when attaching/removing the wing. Here's some pictures and a video of my typical setup. In this case I'm using a HS-55 in a Houston Hawk, which BTW, has worked out very well over the last few years:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1637433
lktroiani is offline Find More Posts by lktroiani
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Jun 2004
219 Posts
Iktroiani has nailed it. Light weight servos (and low cost). Precise adjustments. Convenience. All worthwhile and superior to strings.

If light weight and low cost servos would have been available years ago, we may not have ever considered string acutaued spoilers.
Riserflier is offline Find More Posts by Riserflier
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:55 PM
Zeus
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
I like that setup. I am building a Windlord flying wing (build log at www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680750). I am going to use your installation method for the spoilers. If the Hitec-55 is sufficient for the Hobby Hawk spoiler, it should be enough torque for the Windlord spoilers.

The blue Hitec HS-55 looks cool. But, due to the brown laser cut edges in my partial kit, I am going with opaque covering. So, I may use Futaba S3114 servos since they are about the same weight with a higher torque rating and a bit smaller, albeit $5 more per servo.

Futaba S3114 - .21 torque, .28 oz weight
Hitec HS-55 - .1527 torque, .27 oz weight
jdveirin is offline Find More Posts by jdveirin
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:59 PM
VegasRay
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2005
191 Posts
Fickle Flier - here's the link to a spoiler setup I first showed in RC Groups almost four years ago. There are many sailplanes using this linkage with great success. The photos show how to install. Easy, precise control, light weight and reliable.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955499

My advice to you is to pick any of the versions described here either strings, springs, rubber bands, servos, etc.

Over the years I have tried all of them and finally developed the E/Z Links. To me it's a keeper.

Ray
VegasRay is offline Find More Posts by VegasRay
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:55 AM
Zeus
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
Ray,

Wow. That is about as easy a setup as you can get. That's clever.
jdveirin is offline Find More Posts by jdveirin
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,292 Posts
Thanks for the setups! I have tried several with some success but am always looking for a better mousetrap!
Thanks!
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:18 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostuk View Post
Hi Lincoln,
Do you also have an arrangement with wire instead of rubber bands for the single servo arrangement like Craig's in post 9.
Thanks
Ray
Unless I'm missing something, the same arrangement ought to work.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Aug 2010
48 Posts
Kostuk:

I haven't actually used spoilers on anything yet, so can't speak to how well what works, but have been collecting ways to do it - mainly with servos in the wing. They all came from RCGroups posts originally.

See attachments:

Mike
Mike-O is offline Find More Posts by Mike-O
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:04 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,517 Posts
If you want a super easy to install and very light spoiler set up try some simple torsion springs-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...sagitta&page=7
ak79 is online now Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:26 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
875 Posts
Here is how I have done my spoilers for years http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=59 and here is how I keep them closed with a magnet http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=86

Hope that helps ... just keep every thing simple. small servos are a great way to go not strings and more linkages.

Clarence
onethermal is offline Find More Posts by onethermal
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:56 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,766 Posts
Just keep everything simple. Strings are nice and simple, not more wires, soldering and connectors! ;-)

I think that one's idea of "simple" probably depends on which way you've done it yourself. I've done both, and I don't think servos are easier. Unless the fuselage is so tight that you don't have room for the servo in it.

Maybe a miniature receiver and battery in a one or three piece wing and no wires or strings to connect at all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by onethermal View Post
Here is how I have done my spoilers for years http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=59 and here is how I keep them closed with a magnet http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=86

Hope that helps ... just keep every thing simple. small servos are a great way to go not strings and more linkages.

Clarence
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:27 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2012
151 Posts
Still having trouble

I am still having trouble with my spoilers. I don't want to give up on them so I am asking here again. Can you guys see any alignment errors or something I am not noticing. I am using the method suggested by Vegas Ray but I have never build an aircraft so... I don't know.

Thank you for looking.
Fickle flier is offline Find More Posts by Fickle flier
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:10 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,408 Posts
FF, if I'm seeing correctly, your set-up looks like it will bind. The servo arm will rotate, and thus be creating an arc. Your horn on the spoiler also rotates, the connection point also making an arc. But the arcs are in 2 different directions. I know, my explanation is probably not clear at all. May I suggest sending Vegas Ray a PM, I'm sure he can get you all squared away.
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring