HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2001, 03:56 AM
Joined Nov 2001
82 Posts
JR Voyager E

Is the JR Voyager E any good? If I get one, what extra things would I have to buy? Do I need to have a gyro (yes im new)? Can I use a 4 channel radio on it? How long would be the flight time for one fully charged 2000 mah 9.6v (do you use 9.6v?) battery?
ry_goody is offline Find More Posts by ry_goody
Last edited by ry_goody; Nov 11, 2001 at 03:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2001, 04:54 AM
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England
Joined Jul 2001
29 Posts
In order of asking - the answers are yes, yes, no, and about 5 minutes.
I have seen a Voyager being put through it's paces and there is nothing an IC model can do the Voyager cannot except stay up in the air for a long time. I am currently learning to fly one and it is an obedient bird when it is set up correctly so get somebody to set it all up with your transmitter, get lots of simulator time in, put the training carriage on and go for it!
st.george is offline Find More Posts by st.george
Old Nov 11, 2001, 11:39 AM
Joined Sep 2001
37 Posts
I new also

I'm also new to Helis and after *a lot* of reseach I ordered a voyager E from CyberHeli. You need at least a 5 channel radio that offers CCPM (which is type of mixing), I recommend getting at least 6 channels though as then you can use the remote gain feature of some of gyros that support it. Also avoid the hi-tec radios, there are a few problems with the elcipse 7 and the yovager (might be fixed now though?).

As for gyros, I recommend the futaba 401 & tail servo combo.

You can get a lot more duration if you go brushless with the voyager and the right gearing, the hacker 8L or 9L might be worth looking at but that's extra cost. Finally, my best advice is to join the voyager E mailing list which is hosted by yahoogroups, also check out www.raptoronline.com for DJ's review and details about the Voyager E.
DaveAnks is offline Find More Posts by DaveAnks
Old Nov 11, 2001, 05:45 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,792 Posts
The Voyager is a great little heli. It will fly on the stock motor and ESC on 8 cells. But it really shines with the Hacker 8L on 10 cells.

The Hitec Eclipse will not do 90 degree CCPM, but does 120 which is what the V uses. So the Hitec Radio is just fine.

If niether of you has flown helis before. The best training will be on a sim, like Real Flight Deluxe.

Have a local heli guy setup the heli for you and test fly. Use large training gear.

Do you need a gyro with remote gain? Not really. The Hobbico micro Piezo gyro works fine on mine.

Keep the AUW low, the V is much happier that way.
Fred Bronk is online now Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Nov 11, 2001, 06:27 PM
Joined Sep 2001
37 Posts
Voyager

Fred,

Thanks for the correction about the Hi-tec, I new there was something, maybe it affects the raptor then... not sure.

I have flown a Raptor before for about an hour and could hover it BUT I had done 10 to 15 hours on realflight G2 before that, I feel the money spend on the sim will pay back serveral times over in crash avoidance. The sims are different to the real thing; not matter how hard you try, you will also know in the back of your mind that if you crash on the sim it doesn't cost anything :-) The one thing is has tought me is this which way to move the sticks.

I guess the remote gain isn't needed but I want the Heli to grow with me; learn to use normal hold first and then go to HH for flying backwards / 3D stuff and it would be nice to have HH link to an idle up (or something like that). I mentioned it without telling the whole story, I orginally ordered a expensive JR gyro and servo which I would need to land to switch to HH. The 401 has a lot better reviews and is cheaper than the JR.

I also ordered the 8L which I will run on 10 cells but to start with I'll use the stock motor on 8 until I can hover it without problems.

The major problem I'm going to have is to set it up, I know nobody close by that flys Helis so its going to be a bit of a shot in the dark & a lot of help requests on ezone & the voyager list :-)

What AUW?
Old Nov 11, 2001, 06:35 PM
Joined Apr 2000
2,300 Posts
Fred: I understand that the Eclipse can do 180 degree CCPM. If it can do 180, it can do 90. I think 90 is the same as 180 with one servo unused.
HankF is offline Find More Posts by HankF
Old Nov 11, 2001, 07:02 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,563 Posts
There was a problem using one of these transmitters because while it could do 120 degree CCPM it could not change the CCPM mixing on the elevator function to a negative value. This was necessary to accomodate the placement of the elevator servo link to the front of the swashplate with the Voyager instead of the more normal rear placement. Has this been fixed with improved software?

Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Nov 11, 2001, 07:07 PM
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England
Joined Jul 2001
29 Posts
I must be getting the hang of this bird, today is the second time I've come back from the flying field with 4 flat batteries and no damage, must be the new balls I put on the training gear!
I found that the practice golf balls just fitted nicely and in dayglo colours are easier to see as the light is going!
As encouragement for the two beginners, I only fly on Sundays, I get some time in on the CSM simulator but it won't work with the Voyager settings, I have to use a spare slot.
I bought the Voyager back in June and it scared the pants off me!
I'm on my third set of blades now and only slightly dinged these ones once (so far).
Best tip is keep your nerve and if you need to dump it keep the pitch positive, that way it lands quickly but doesn't suffer a boom strike on the bounce.
st.george is offline Find More Posts by st.george
Old Nov 11, 2001, 08:13 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,792 Posts
If you have that much time on a sim, you are on your way.

Yes, fly until the stock motor wears out, then go to the BL system.

If you need a stock motor and ESC I can make you a deal too!
Fred Bronk is online now Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Nov 12, 2001, 02:53 PM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey

well, when I got my voyager , I tried to fly it on the stock motor , but I couldnt get the shacks or wobbles out , so I bought a borchert brushless motor , no problems sence I threw that new stock motor in the garbage, I have about 150 flights on her now , and all I done was put oil on the bearing , hey if you want I have a 10 second flick of the ccpm , ( I think ) that I can send to you , and if you go by the JR instructions and use the radios they suggest you cant go wrong , it gives all the setting for flight , and it does help to have someone that knows whats going on too , but if you dont then you will be like me , I learned with a sim and the net , Tony
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Nov 12, 2001, 03:17 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,347 Posts
hard to imagine why the stock motor would cause shake and brushless wouldn't. The shakes must have came from elsewhere.

The stock motor is actually a very high quality motor, it's just the brushes have short life span. It's a good match for the Voyager.

Voyager is different than other E-helis in that it has high gearing. So it needs a high RPM (low winding, stock is 12 turns) motor to take advantage of the gearing.

One of my future project is to test the Kyosho motors on Voyager. After seeing how effective the Endoplasma works on gearbox in Gary Wright's E3D, I am convinced there has to be a good alternative low cost motor for the Voyager.

I fly my Voyager more than all my glow helis now due to field restrictions. It's a sweet flying bird.
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Nov 12, 2001, 03:41 PM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hi

it was the motor , it wouldnt produce the needed rotor speed of 1350 to get out of the wabbles , but that was on 7 cell batteries too , but as soon as I put my bl motor in there and my 7 cell batteries I got 1450 rpms and on 8 cell she turned 1650 , which thats all I run now till my new pinions come in to run 12 cells , 2 6 cell scr packs and I also want to run my 10 cell 2000 match pack too , the motor has to many unanswered questions in my book and its just not worth the trouble , maybe you will get a good motor or maybe like mine , Tony
Old Nov 12, 2001, 03:49 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,347 Posts
ok that clarify it. Wobble is different than shakes caused by inbalanced parts.

With the stock setup, you should be able to go beyond 1350RPM with proper pitch and throttle curve setup, even on 7 cells.

I have been flying mine with Hacker since day one, and have noticed that the head will wobble even at high speeds now. Apparently the dampners are worn out on mine. The shrink tubing method didn't help all that much either. I just kind of ignore the wobble now. To me the head design is one of the weakness on the Voyager.
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Nov 12, 2001, 03:55 PM
Joined Sep 2001
37 Posts
Dumb Question....

Everybody talks about the RPM value of the rotors on this board and other voyager related lists but how do you guys know what the RPM of the rotors are?

My guess is that you must use some kind of tac? I guess I'm going to need one, or at least it would be useful?
Old Nov 12, 2001, 04:03 PM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey

yeh , it is kinda cheesie hu? but it does work well when the head is up , I do think , " think" that when the head speed gets to low the tip of the blades lose lift , and then the rubber dampers catch the loss as a reaction !!!!!! what do yall think Tony
I use a tail tac, it mounts on the tail and you see your reading all the way through your battery life , Tony