HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:32 PM
Gas Only
Fokker DII's Avatar
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,052 Posts
Discussion
New Ignition Much Better DLE 30

After damaging a wire, I replaced my stock DLE 30 #3 ignition module with a standard RCExl unit. A world of improvement.
After the first start of the day it always fires and runs on the first flip,. Idle is very smooth and the midrange burble is mimimal. Transition is crisp. All without needing to adjust the needles.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:50 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
ignition change

Nice to know. Thanks for sharing that tid bit. Brian
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:33 PM
Registered User
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
896 Posts
Are you saying you went BACK to an older version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker DII View Post
After damaging a wire, I replaced my stock DLE 30 #3 ignition module with a standard RCExl unit. A world of improvement.
After the first start of the day it always fires and runs on the first flip,. Idle is very smooth and the midrange burble is mimimal. Transition is crisp. All without needing to adjust the needles.
sailr is offline Find More Posts by sailr
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:57 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Soon going to gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker DII View Post

After damaging a wire, I replaced my stock DLE 30 #3 ignition module with a standard RCExl unit. A world of improvement.
After the first start of the day it always fires and runs on the first flip,. Idle is very smooth and the midrange burble is mimimal. Transition is crisp. All without needing to adjust the needles.
Fokker DII,

I am trying to save my nickels (no more pennies in Canada) to soon buy a gasoline engiine. I am trying to learn as much as available about their usage.

I would appreciate it if you would post your understanding of what caused the much improved performance.

I do not mean changing the ignition unit did it.
I mean is it a stronger spark provided by the new unit ?
Is it a better spark timing ?
Did the improvement use the same spark plug as before ?
Are you using the same fuel ?
Any other changes were done simultaneously ?

Your deductions and findings would be highly appeciated.

Thanks from Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Last edited by Zor; Aug 23, 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:12 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
The # 3 module is much like the problematic # 4 module shipped with the early DLE20's in that it uses a single step to advance/retard the timing. The difference being it does it at a higher rpm (42-4400?), which masks the issue. As most of us with DLE 20's know, with the #4, that step was just off idle, creating quite the mess for those new to gas setup issues. So the #3 has a single "stepped" advance/retard, and replacement modules get a real timing curve, spreading the advance/retard out in multiple steps.

If Fokker DII's new module is the version that's now good for up to 6v input voltage, it's a total redesign of his original, and I understand that module offers a much hotter spark.
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:35 PM
Gas Only
Fokker DII's Avatar
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
The # 3 module is much like the problematic # 4 module shipped with the early DLE20's in that it uses a single step to advance/retard the timing. The difference being it does it at a higher rpm (42-4400?), which masks the issue. As most of us with DLE 20's know, with the #4, that step was just off idle, creating quite the mess for those new to gas setup issues. So the #3 has a single "stepped" advance/retard, and replacement modules get a real timing curve, spreading the advance/retard out in multiple steps.

If Fokker DII's new module is the version that's now good for up to 6v input voltage, it's a total redesign of his original, and I understand that module offers a much hotter spark.
Take note that my original post was over a year ago! And I purchased a RExel (sp) single cylinder module, not a DLE specific module.
Anyway, I have since replaced the carb with a Walboro and the DLE 30 has been in 3 or 4 different planes and still runs strong and starts in one flip.
And No Zor, I am not going to write a novel on this.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 01:25 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker DII View Post
>
>
>
And No Zor, I am not going to write a novel on this.
I did not ask for a novel.
Ahicks just gave some good clues. Thanks ahicks.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 24, 2013, 08:19 PM
Registered User
kerwin50's Avatar
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,519 Posts
I'm using the stock ign and I don't have a problem.
MX loose left aileron (12 min 12 sec)
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Is the new AeroFly 5.7 that much better then AeroFly Pro videorov Simulators 3 Jul 07, 2012 01:00 PM
Question DLE-20 and DLE-30 have same Ignition? snoshoe62 Engines 17 Apr 22, 2011 03:52 PM
Help! New to gas, ? test DLE 30 ignition? JBAZ4 Engines 12 Apr 21, 2011 06:19 AM
Found DLE-30 Ignition Module snoshoe62 Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 1 Sep 03, 2010 08:30 PM
Sold DLE 30 New in box, with muffler, ignition, everything jongurley Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 0 Aug 07, 2010 10:01 PM