Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:37 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,457 Posts
Question
Coming back to cars - questions about electric setups

Hello all, I'm an "old guy" that ran Tamiya cars in the early and mid 80's. I graduated to Associated off-road cars/trucks and raced for many years, back when there were tracks in this area. I had more cars and trucks than I could count! I moved on to planes in the late 90's and just recently got into helicopters also. My latest obsession has been FPV. I have two FPV aircraft; one plane and one heli. It's true that R/C can be really be a drug.

Anyway, that's what brings me here to the car part of the forums. Recently I have come across a few videos of guys with FPV-equipped off-road cars. It looks like an absolute blast so I thought, why not grab an inexpensive car and throw some FPV gear on it? Searching Tower Hobbies, I found the Tamiya Subaru Brat, one of my absolute favorites from my days of R/C cars. It comes with a brushed 540 motor and a brushed ESC (TEU-101BK). I'd like to get this car but I have a few questions....
  1. Can the stock ESC (TEU-101BK) handle a 2s LiPo battery?
  2. Would I still need a receiver pack and/or a voltage regulator if I use the stock ESC (TEU-101BK)? I thought I remember reading it does not step down the battery voltage to the receiver.
  3. I found a Jeti 35A brushed ESC in my spare parts. It is rated for 6-12 NiCd cells which should easily handle 2s - 3s LiPo (watching for LVC of course). Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?
  4. Finally, what would be a good inexpensive brushed ESC if none of the options I stated above work?

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm excited about my little project.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:44 PM
Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Hello all, I'm an "old guy" that ran Tamiya cars in the early and mid 80's. I graduated to Associated off-road cars/trucks and raced for many years, back when there were tracks in this area. I had more cars and trucks than I could count! I moved on to planes in the late 90's and just recently got into helicopters also. My latest obsession has been FPV. I have two FPV aircraft; one plane and one heli. It's true that R/C can be really be a drug.

Anyway, that's what brings me here to the car part of the forums. Recently I have come across a few videos of guys with FPV-equipped off-road cars. It looks like an absolute blast so I thought, why not grab an inexpensive car and throw some FPV gear on it? Searching Tower Hobbies, I found the Tamiya Subaru Brat, one of my absolute favorites from my days of R/C cars. It comes with a brushed 540 motor and a brushed ESC (TEU-101BK). I'd like to get this car but I have a few questions....
  1. Can the stock ESC (TEU-101BK) handle a 2s LiPo battery?
  2. Would I still need a receiver pack and/or a voltage regulator if I use the stock ESC (TEU-101BK)? I thought I remember reading it does not step down the battery voltage to the receiver.
  3. I found a Jeti 35A brushed ESC in my spare parts. It is rated for 6-12 NiCd cells which should easily handle 2s - 3s LiPo (watching for LVC of course). Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?
  4. Finally, what would be a good inexpensive brushed ESC if none of the options I stated above work?

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm excited about my little project.
Yes the 104bk will handle a 2s, but may need a BEC. Brushed esc I'd recomend a traxxas xl5.
Creepy1 is offline Find More Posts by Creepy1
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:23 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,457 Posts
While digging around Tower, I came aross this ESC. I guess that would be much better than the stock Tamiya ESC? Not only does it have LVC for LiPo batteries, it can accept a wide range of brushed motors for when the stock motor gets boring.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:41 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy1 View Post
Yes the 104bk will handle a 2s, but may need a BEC. Brushed esc I'd recomend a traxxas xl5.
Thanks for the reply. Yours didn't show up before I replied, that's strange. I'll check that Traxxas ESC, thanks. I picked the Tekin ESC I linked because it has LiPo compatibility. I also picked out a Reedy 17T motor to replace the stock 540 motor on the Brat if that's the way I go.

A buddy of mine has a Traxxas truck that I convinced him to fix. We're gonna try FPV on that first to see how it is before I buy anything. His FPV setup is on a pod that just rubber-bands to his plane so it will be easy putting that on the truck for testing purposes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:40 PM
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Yours didn't show up before I replied, that's strange. I'll check that Traxxas ESC, thanks. I picked the Tekin ESC I linked because it has LiPo compatibility. I also picked out a Reedy 17T motor to replace the stock 540 motor on the Brat if that's the way I go.

A buddy of mine has a Traxxas truck that I convinced him to fix. We're gonna try FPV on that first to see how it is before I buy anything. His FPV setup is on a pod that just rubber-bands to his plane so it will be easy putting that on the truck for testing purposes.
You made a great choice. Enjoy the return to addiction.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:25 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,783 Posts
That Tekin ESC will work, but it's much more than you need to spend. There are lots of brushed ESC's that'll work with lipos and handle low turn motors for under half that much $$$.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:02 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,457 Posts
Quote:
You made a great choice. Enjoy the return to addiction.
Thanks. I started in rockets when I was 12 (my father was an aerospace engineer) and I had a boat around the same time but that - the boat - didn't last long. In 1984, when I was 13, my jaw dropped when I saw a Grasshopper in the hobby shop at the mall. It was sitting next to a Frog. I had never seen anything like it and I was just transfixed. I just *had* to have one. I swear at some point, I had almost every car that Tamiya made. Grasshopper, Blackfoot, two Clodbusters, Subaru Brat, Mitsubishi Pajero, an F-1 chassis with foam tires, on-road 4WD sedan, a "Royal Ripper", Kyosho Optima Mid, gold-pan RC-10 (yes, the original), RC-10T that I converted to a T2, and many many more. I raced on dirt tracks and then we moved to indooor venues until that shut down as well.

I got rid of it all in the late 90's once I discovered planes, which was my true love. In fact, my mom found a gigantic grocery bag of tires and rims that I sold at a swap shop for $20, lol. I mean there must have been 3 dozen different combinations of wheels and tires. I currently have around 13 airplanes and three helis. I have all kinds of planes... aerobatic, EDF, slow flyers, fast flyers, warbirds, etc. Two of the three helis are set up for scale flight, and the third is my FPV heli. It's an addiction, no doubt.

And now, as you have suggested, I am seriously contemplating a return to cars, which feels like being reunited with an old friend. I'd really like to do an FPV setup as I have delusions of driving around my neighborhood with my goggles, having a blast. In reality, I'll probably be able to go down my street and back and that's it, because I'd have to sink a lot of money into a ground-based FPV setup that can penetrate houses, trees, etc. And since I don't know how long this love affair will last, I don't want to go crazy on cost.

The two vehicles I've narrowed it down to is the Tamiya Subaru Brat and the Duratrax 1/10 Evader. The Evader is $220 and comes with truck, brushless motor/ESC, and 2.4 GHz receiver/transmitter. The Brat is $170, plus $125 for the expensive ESC I picked (I'd rather have more ESC than not enough... I learned that years ago from plane/helis), plus $22 for an upgraded motor. Total that up to $317 and that's about $100 more for the Brat and I'm not quite sure that nostalgia is worth $100. I'm also wondering about availability of spare parts... I'm assuming the Evader will have parts more readily-available than the Brat?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:05 PM
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I started in rockets when I was 12 (my father was an aerospace engineer) and I had a boat around the same time but that - the boat - didn't last long. In 1984, when I was 13, my jaw dropped when I saw a Grasshopper in the hobby shop at the mall. It was sitting next to a Frog. I had never seen anything like it and I was just transfixed. I just *had* to have one. I swear at some point, I had almost every car that Tamiya made. Grasshopper, Blackfoot, two Clodbusters, Subaru Brat, Mitsubishi Pajero, an F-1 chassis with foam tires, on-road 4WD sedan, a "Royal Ripper", Kyosho Optima Mid, gold-pan RC-10 (yes, the original), RC-10T that I converted to a T2, and many many more. I raced on dirt tracks and then we moved to indooor venues until that shut down as well.

I got rid of it all in the late 90's once I discovered planes, which was my true love. In fact, my mom found a gigantic grocery bag of tires and rims that I sold at a swap shop for $20, lol. I mean there must have been 3 dozen different combinations of wheels and tires. I currently have around 13 airplanes and three helis. I have all kinds of planes... aerobatic, EDF, slow flyers, fast flyers, warbirds, etc. Two of the three helis are set up for scale flight, and the third is my FPV heli. It's an addiction, no doubt.

And now, as you have suggested, I am seriously contemplating a return to cars, which feels like being reunited with an old friend. I'd really like to do an FPV setup as I have delusions of driving around my neighborhood with my goggles, having a blast. In reality, I'll probably be able to go down my street and back and that's it, because I'd have to sink a lot of money into a ground-based FPV setup that can penetrate houses, trees, etc. And since I don't know how long this love affair will last, I don't want to go crazy on cost.

The two vehicles I've narrowed it down to is the Tamiya Subaru Brat and the Duratrax 1/10 Evader. The Evader is $220 and comes with truck, brushless motor/ESC, and 2.4 GHz receiver/transmitter. The Brat is $170, plus $125 for the expensive ESC I picked (I'd rather have more ESC than not enough... I learned that years ago from plane/helis), plus $22 for an upgraded motor. Total that up to $317 and that's about $100 more for the Brat and I'm not quite sure that nostalgia is worth $100. I'm also wondering about availability of spare parts... I'm assuming the Evader will have parts more readily-available than the Brat?
Go with the evader. If I could suggest something else, get a traxxas stampede or rustler. Both come as brushed or brushless, parts support is top notch, upgrades galore, and they are quite solid.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:11 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,457 Posts
Quote:
Go with the evader. If I could suggest something else, get a traxxas stampede or rustler. Both come as brushed or brushless, parts support is top notch, upgrades galore, and they are quite solid.
That's kinda what I'm leaning towards. It's everything I need in one box - minus the battery - for a low price. And it's LiPo compatible with no fuss either.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:02 PM
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,381 Posts
Quote:
That's kinda what I'm leaning towards. It's everything I need in one box - minus the battery - for a low price. And it's LiPo compatible with no fuss either.
They're also very durable I'm told, and you shouldn't have a problem finding parts either. Hope to have fun with it, and welcome back to 4 wheels my friend.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:45 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
Hi all, im new to this, but not to rc and just to put my 2 cents in. I used to play around with Tamiya trucks and loved them for their realism and different bodies like the lunch box, moved on to Traxxas for the durability and speed. I recently bought a Duratrax Evader and my friend bought a Traxxas of the same sort of price. Mine looks better but does noy go nearly as fast, after using it for about 3 hours total, 1 shock is busted, after very little jumps and I have noticed alot of deep scrapes on the chassis, with gearbox also needing attention as it seems to brake without my input.

All that said, parts are easy to get, but I was a little disappointed in the build quality, and I did buy the truck after Big Squid said it was indestructable.

I still have my nitro Traxxas to play with though.
padster is offline Find More Posts by padster
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:01 AM
ค๔๔เςtє๔ t๏ R/C
United States, WA, University Place
Joined Jul 2012
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by padster View Post
Hi all, im new to this, but not to rc and just to put my 2 cents in. I used to play around with Tamiya trucks and loved them for their realism and different bodies like the lunch box, moved on to Traxxas for the durability and speed. I recently bought a Duratrax Evader and my friend bought a Traxxas of the same sort of price. Mine looks better but does noy go nearly as fast, after using it for about 3 hours total, 1 shock is busted, after very little jumps and I have noticed alot of deep scrapes on the chassis, with gearbox also needing attention as it seems to brake without my input.

All that said, parts are easy to get, but I was a little disappointed in the build quality, and I did buy the truck after Big Squid said it was indestructable.

I still have my nitro Traxxas to play with though.
Yeah Traxxas' build quality is unmatched and Big Squid's 'basher approved' thing is a joke. They gave one of the awards to a light kit for short course trucks
resonatortune is offline Find More Posts by resonatortune
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:42 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,267 Posts
I have been pretty much sticking to Traxxas (Stampede, Rustler and Outlaw). I don't like their stock axles but beyond that, they are very durable and reliable. Parts are easy to get and are not too expensive. The other name brands I've tried (TA, Losi and HPI) seem to have more metal parts but are still not as durable.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:50 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,457 Posts
I was always a Tamiya and TA guy when I was actively into cars. Never had a Losi and back then I "hated" Losi because that's when Brian Kinwald was a Losi driver. I didn't like that guy for some reason, lol. He never did anything to me of course, but that's what immaturity will get you. Brian, if you're reading this, I apologize for all the bad-mouthing I did about you in the 90's!

This will be my first Duratrax product and I'm liking this one simple because it's the cheapest complete package that fits my criteria (brushless, LiPo-compatible ESC, radio, etc.). I only need to drop a battery into it and I've picked out a Venom 2s 5000 mAh 40C battery. Should be plenty of power and run-time for the type of driving I plan to do. I was going to get a Hyperion 2s battery but they are not hard-case packs and I think that's the best bet for a car. A plane doesn't need a card-case battery and if you do, you've got bigger problems.

Still trying to make up my mind. I've got the money because I decided not to build a ground station for FPV at this time, but I'm afraid I'll spend the money, play around with it 2-3 times, then it will sit there and collect dust.
RCG Plus Member