HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:22 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Discussion
Best Caliber/Type Handgun For Concealed Carry

Personally I want a versatile handgun that is close to the most powerful I can conceivably carry in pocket. I settled on a compact .357 revolver.
That said, carry is a nuisance a lot of the time and during summer months I frequently carry a .22 auto due to cheap, plentiful ammo and ease of carry when wearing shorts and a tee.

Pitty this older gent wasn't carrying something with a bit more pop but his .380 mostly got the job done.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2...-Internet-Cafe

If you carry, what are your thoughts. If you do not or are opposed to carry, never mind.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:42 PM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Not sure about .22lr ... sure, it's better than nothing, but my primary concern is reliability of the ammo. Even CCI Mini Mags have had some failure to fires for me. For me, .380 is about the smallest I'd go with a pocket pistol, but if I'm carrying IWB, I'd go for a subcompact single stack 9mm, perferably in double action.

The Springfield XDs is very interesting, but the .45acp in such a small poly frame seems like a little much to me. Rumor is that they will also be avilable in 9mm soon. Smith and Wesson M&P Shield also looks good and that comes in both 9mm and .40 S&W.

Regarding the video, I'm a little concerned that the armed patron continued firing after the criminals were clearly running away.
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:55 PM
Santo, Tx. La Tierra de Dios
Joined Nov 2005
151 Posts
Here's a pic of one of the thugs. http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/D...erson_8162102/
Whizz is offline Find More Posts by Whizz
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:01 PM
Smoke & Fire
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2001
215 Posts
ruger lcp .380 fits in my pocket without imprinting. easy, and will always carry it because it is so easy. the best weapon is the one you find easy to carry and always do so.
Naja Kaouthia is offline Find More Posts by Naja Kaouthia
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:04 PM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintQytRite View Post
ruger lcp .380 fits in my pocket without imprinting. easy, and will always carry it because it is so easy. the best weapon is the one you find easy to carry and always do so.
I carry a Taurus TCP in a pocket holster. No complaints. Come winter, I will be carrying something a little bigger ...
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:18 PM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
I am partial to my XD 9mm sub compact. 12 round and 16 round mags. 3 3/8 inch barrel.

Accurate for size, it's a bit heavy but I believe it helps when it being fired...

The gun actually has 2 safetys, the web safety on the back and a triger safety, if you look at the triger it has a smaller trigger in the larger one, pretty much tou have to have a good slid grip to fire it. Unlike the Glock if you drop the magizine it will still fire the chambered round.

The magazine buttons can be used by right and left handed shooters. I bought mine at $425. For the money it is a nice weapon.

XD Subcompact 9mm Review.m4v (10 min 25 sec)
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:26 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,499 Posts
Take a hard look at the Kel-Tec PF-9. http://keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pf-9/

It's the smallest and lightest 9mm made and weighs in at 12.4 ounces. It's made in Cocoa, Florida. DAO trigger that's VERY smooth without stacking and is a pleasure to carry. Loaded with Hornady Critical Defense ammo it's a fomidable tool. Seven round magazine and comes with a spare. If you need more ammo, you either need to call in an airstrike or you're in the wrong place to begin with.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:16 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
317 Posts
The PF9 is a good gun for the price, just not quite small enough for a pants pocket. I ended up with the Taurus 380, but the Keltec, Ruger, Diamondback and S&W tiny 380's are all worth looking at. I also have an NAA .22 Magnum Mini revolver which will disappear in your pocket...I just wanted something that looked more like a gun. I also tried a Ruger LCR which was punishing to shoot, and I'm used to snubbies. How it feels in your hand is a major consideration.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:51 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Last edited by Highflight; Jul 20, 2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:03 PM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
I carry a bunch (not all at one time ), but I'd say that any compact 9mm is the best compromise for round capacity in the onboard mag, and firepower for stopping an attack if good hollow points are used.

The problem with carry pistols is that you really can't stop at one. You find various and different situtations that call for different ways to carry.
Reminds me of Axle Foley looking in Billys room and saying "Billy, we have to talk."
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:15 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
.380 will work. 9mm guud too
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
91 Posts
I guess my take on it is that Yes, there are plenty of dead bag guys as a result of a 22LR, I would go with a 9mm at the smallest. I've been looking for a small CCW for about the past month and I'm deciding between the KelTec PF9 or the Taurus PT709 Slim. Other 9mm's I've tried just dont feel quite right in my hand.
Peacemakr40 is offline Find More Posts by Peacemakr40
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:30 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
You do not want to injure anyone
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:36 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Same as AintQytRite. Ruger LCP (for now). I carry it all the time (ALL the time) and no one has ever even noticed. I wear cargo shorts and Ts 95% of the time.

I also have the XD9sc same as RCWorks. I really love that pistol as far as function and feel. A little big to CC depending on what you wear. What I've noticed is the smaller the guy, the bigger the gun they can carry. Guess it's because their cloths are looser. My son-in-law carries a full frame .45 1911 and you cannot see it. He's skinny as a rail so even dress clothes blouse on him.

I will be picking this up in the next month or so:

http://www.xdspistol.com/

Slightly bigger than the LCP but chambered in .45 ACP. Functions same as the XD9 but a smaller package.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:37 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
You do not want to injure anyone
Well then, this guy probably handled the situation the best:

To the Guy who tried to mug me in downtown Savannah night before last:

I was the guy with the black Burberry jacket that you demanded I hand over, shortly after you pulled the knife on me and my girlfriend. You also asked for my girlfriend's purse and earrings. I hope you somehow come across this message. I'd like to apologize. I didn't expect you to crap in your pants when I drew my pistol after you took my jacket. Truth is, I was wearing the jacket for a reason that evening, and it wasn't that cold outside. You see, my girlfriend had just bought me that Kimber Model 1911, .45 ACP pistol for Christmas, and we had just picked up a shoulder holster for it that evening. Beautiful pistol, eh?

It's a very intimidating weapon when pointed at your head, isn't it? I know it probably wasn't a great deal of fun walking back to wherever you'd come from with that brown sludge flopping about in your pants. I'm sure it was even worse since you also ended up leaving your shoes, cell phone, and wallet with me.

I couldn't have you calling up any of your buddies to come help you try to mug us again. I took the liberty of calling your mother, or "Momma" as you had her listed in your cell, and explaining to her your situation. I also bought myself and four other people in the gas station this morning a tank full of gas on your credit card. The guy with the big motor home took 150 gallons and was extremely grateful! I gave your shoes to one of the homeless guys over by Vinnie Van Go Go's, along with all of the cash in your wallet.

I threw the wallet in a fancy pink "pimp mobile" parked at the curb after I broke the windshield and side window out and keyed the drivers side. I called a bunch of phone sex numbers from your cell phone. They'll be on your bill in case you'd like to know which ones. Ma Bell just shut down the line, and I've only had the phone for a little over a day now, so I don't know what's going on with that. I hope they haven't permanently cut off your service.

I could only get in two threatening phone calls to the DA's office and one to the FBI with it. The FBI guy was really pissed and we had a long chat (I guess while he traced the number).

I'd also like to apologize for not killing you and instead making you walk back home humiliated. I'm hoping that you'll reconsider your choice of path in life. Next time you might not be so lucky.

- Alex

P.S. Remember this motto ...... An Armed Society Is A Polite Society!

seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola