HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
2.4GHz is not a dedicated RC band. WiFi, cameras, even car alarms are using it. Are you flying over a parking lot?
Shouldn't matter one bit... 2.4ghz is simply the carrier frequency. The real magic and security happens in the data exchange between the xmit and rcvr... modules...
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:05 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin View Post
You may be flying into a telecommunications microwave radio path.
May not have been there a while ago, and recently established.
Communications between cell towers, telephone company central offices, fire, police, etc.
The transmitter can be 20-30 miles from the receiver.
This. Btdt. Matter of fact my favorite field has such a critter on one side of the perimeter.

I have also implemented similar antenna boosted signals.

Likely there is a new linear path, a cylindrical space where your rx gets hosed. Figure where that lies and avoid.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:34 PM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Aug 2004
130 Posts
As everyone else has said massive probability in favour of some issue other than a jammer but,...

OP, do you fly anywhere close to what might be considered a sensitive location? Potential terrorist target? A certain famous FPV'er stated that he abruptly lost control when in the vicinity of a US embassy due to very intentional jamming.
Just a thought.

Kev
Zagadka is offline Find More Posts by Zagadka
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:17 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
A "certain (in)famous FPV'er" is probably full of crap.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:18 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,542 Posts
Quote:
A certain famous FPV'er stated that he abruptly lost control when in the vicinity of a US embassy due to very intentional jamming.
Aliens! Maybe not from space, but score one for me and Barticky.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:30 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Don't some of those security alarm systems work around that freq for the wireless systems? Could be that too. I'm inclined to believe it could be a recently established communications relay as was stated...read the FCC label on the back of your Tx, "must accept unwanted interfence..."
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:10 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
I usually fly at 2 different parks. This local park is giving me the problems. Jammers do not have to be crazy sophisticated to jam 2.4ghz spektrum. I have a jammer myself, and can easily block all cell phone and wifi signals within 10-20meters (that would kill anything in 2.4ghz!)... If the guy was between me and my plane with a 1+ watt jammer from dealextreme (not saying thats where my jammer came from), he will cause me to loose signal for sure!
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:21 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCut View Post
I usually fly at 2 different parks. This local park is giving me the problems. Jammers do not have to be crazy sophisticated to jam 2.4ghz spektrum. I have a jammer myself, and can easily block all cell phone and wifi signals within 10-20meters (that would kill anything in 2.4ghz!)... If the guy was between me and my plane with a 1+ watt jammer from dealextreme (not saying thats where my jammer came from), he will cause me to loose signal for sure!
So you have an illegal 2.4ghz jammer, and you're complaining about someone jamming you.
TomM is online now Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wood shavings
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:26 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM
So you have an illegal 2.4ghz jammer, and you're complaining about someone jamming you.
Illegal. Not always. I guess, you do not know what cell phone jammers are used for. Ever had a classroom full of teenagers who incessantly say they're paying attention yet over 75% of them are discreetly sending SMSs ... and not really paying attention to the lecture? Come test time and those 75% often fail the exam.

But once they realize their cell phones don't work in your classroom, you'd be surprised how many quickly learn to overcome the fidgeting and techie deprivation. Their attention and test scores soon go up; the next semester you have students who really want to be there.

And nobody is flying a model airplane within the confines or reach of a classroom or conference room.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Last edited by James Frolik; Jul 17, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:40 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
You fly at two parks. Its the local park you are having issues with.
simple solution to your problem..

if you are having no problems at the non local field, then fly there from now on and find another "local" park.

there, problem solved
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:41 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Frolik View Post
Illegal. Not always. I guess, you do not know what cell phone jammers are used for.....

I'm un-aware of their legality in you homeland.
TomM is online now Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wood shavings
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:45 PM
Happy on 72
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Jul 2005
496 Posts
My electric company installed SmartMeters that communicate over WiFi over to newly installed access points on posts that are almost as high as street lights. They are allowed to transmit at up to 1 Watt while a typical wifi base station is allowed up to 100mW. I think 2.4GHz RC transmitters are at about 200mW.

Is it possible that a stronger 1 watt signal over the same carrier frequency is stomping on the weaker signals?

Have there been new smart meters installed near the OP's park?
mwhitman is offline Find More Posts by mwhitman
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:49 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,542 Posts
Quote:
Ever had a classroom full of teenagers who incessantly say they're paying attention yet over 75% of them are discreetly sending SMSs ... and not really paying attention to the lecture?
This past year my high school gave an iPad to every student but failed to place adequate restrictions on the devices and the wifi network. Talk about distracted students... They'll be locked down tight this year, so I graduated just in time
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:12 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
Maybe he jammed himself.

I was told too much self-jamming makes you go blind.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:25 PM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
check and see if your RX antenna is still attach to your RX, i broke one of my receiver antenna, one of the solder joint goes bad but you couldn't tell unless you pick it up and give it a close inspection.
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC
Closed Thread