HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:18 AM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,828 Posts
Discussion
SOMEONE is using Jammers or wayyyy overpowered 2.4ghz near my local park

I've flown in this park for years. This year I cant make it a block out of the park at like 200ft high without losing signal with 2.4ghz spektrum (dm8 on my futaba 9c, with ar6200 without remote, or ar6100)... Before, I could fly as far as possible without a single glitch (until it was seriously a moving dot in the sky)... This really really sucks, I actually lost a plane already (it was only worth $80 but still), what can be done about this?
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:22 AM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,828 Posts
I always test the waters of how far i can go, I'd slowly go further and further until I get a dropout and know the limit, but this PERSON must be spotting my plane and then puts on the jammer when I'm far out only. Complete loss of control, yesterday I was lucky enough that my last inputs caused the plane to come back down slowly towards me, and I recovered signal right before it was doomed to hit the ground like 200 feet away from me...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:30 AM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,775 Posts
if i had to bet... it sounds alot more like a bad antenna on the TX than a super jammer... might wanna check it out
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:33 AM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,828 Posts
i took the dm8 apart, everything looks good. I'll test everything with an ohm meter in a minute...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:46 AM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,828 Posts
the antenna extension inside the dm8 is good, the antenna doesn't come apart but I'm sure its good. It seriously has to be someone with a jammer. I've flown to the clouds and back a few times, and then suddenly I'd get complete loss of signal a block away the same day? Has to be a jammer.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:54 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,216 Posts
I've got a solution for you. 72 MHz.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:03 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,828 Posts
I use 72mhz too, but I like being able to switch rxs from plane to plane, with 72mhz I have to tape down my antennas. I can fly glitch free wayyy past LOS with 72mhz (fpv)... And with 2.4ghz I'm not at risk from someone else turning on their transmitter on the same channel.....

My whole point is, that I know someone is using a jammer, just what can I do about it?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:10 PM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCut View Post
My whole point is, that I know someone is using a jammer, just what can I do about it?
So you think someone electronics genius had designed and built some sophisticated jammer (it would have to be very clever to jam the spread spectrum frequency hopping 2.4GHz signal) and is now spending all his time watching out for you going to the park (maybe following you ?) just to spoil your fun?

That's a little paranoid, no

IMHO its far more likely just a hardware fault, or momentary loss of control due to wind/turbulence/dumb thumbs.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:11 PM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,326 Posts
I realize you suspect a jammer, but you really should trouble shoot a bit more. Use a different TX or rx at that location, also try your current TX and rx at a different location.
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:19 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
992 Posts
Send or take your radio to a qualified technician, and have it completely checked out. As stated above, it would take a serious and sophisticated jammer with some serious power to jam your signal to the rx. When these two mate up(tx and rx) that is it, unless there is a problem with your rx, which I suspect. Seriously, I would rule out Jamming, and look for the real culprit. After 53 years f flying, I have only been shot down twice, and that was on 72, when a very close friend turned on his tx and was on the same freq as me Stuff happens. Spend the money on some insurance in the form of a good tech. Roy
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:37 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
You may be flying into a telecommunications microwave radio path.
May not have been there a while ago, and recently established.
Communications between cell towers, telephone company central offices, fire, police, etc.
The transmitter can be 20-30 miles from the receiver.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:59 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
3,990 Posts
There is probably less than one in a million chance that you are being jammed by a jammer. You need to really check out your equipment, could be the transmitter, the receiver, the ESC, the battery etc. but almost certainly NOT a jammer.
Rodney is online now Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:11 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCut View Post
2.4GHz is not a dedicated RC band. WiFi, cameras, even car alarms are using it. Are you flying over a parking lot?
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:25 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,265 Posts
Likelihood of a radio issue = 99.5%, jammer = 0.45%, aliens = 0.05%. Like others are saying, it would take a serious device to mess up the communication between the transmitter and receiver.

If there IS some outside source causing the problem, it's almost certainly a commercial device and not a private person with a jamming device.

In any case, there's not much you could do about any outside source of interference. You'd have to figure out what it is, find its actual location, figure out who's responsible for it, and get them to shut it off. It would probably be easier to just find a new place to fly.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:36 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,146 Posts
+1 for aliens
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Closed Thread