HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:18 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,766 Posts
Good to know ... and yet, that module is not even listed as an accessory on the Jeti website, let alone any vendor's website. Is it included with the transmitter, perchance?
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:03 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
I'm guessing that these 'trainer' modules will be low power variants of the standard modules. They don't appear to exist as yet.

I have tried using my old original TU module fitted to my Multiplex 4000 as a slave and it works OK.

Only problem I see is that trainer mode is used for the four primary controls. I've not investigated in any depth as not a feature I normally have any use for.

Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined May 2010
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
Very nice transmitter indeed. But as an FPV pilot I have special needs, and I don't mean I ride the short bus

Nice to see it has PPM out, which I will need to use it with my UHF box. I trust it will work with that flawlessly.

But how is it possible to get my headtracking signal into the DC-16? I need this to control the camera pan and tilt channels for my video camera on the plane. My headtracker uses a std buddy box wire (Futaba or JR connector, but I can customize to anything). The Jeti uses a proprietary wireless buddy box signal instead. Is there some kind of interface I can use to get my headtracker control into the Jeti? Will Jeti release a way to do this via the USB?
I sent your question directly to Jeti, let’s wait for they respond. Theoretically I do not see any problem, but we will see.

Zb/Esprit Model
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:09 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
They will say yes. 'Cos I have it running here on the bench.

You get slave control over any functions you define. I made a 'pitch' function with no stick/switch assigned. In the trainer menu you enable this function only and away you go. Any functions not assigned to the slave are controlled by the master.

In the post above I thought it might only be the primary control functions. I used a model that only had primary functions so that was all it displayed.

Got to say it is very freaky having two servos on the bench each being controlled by a different TX.

I guess the head tracker outputs a couple of PPM channels of data if you can already plug it into a trainer port.

Dave
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:19 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,766 Posts
OK I am sold. Hope to plug my 1/8" ppm-out trainer plug from my goggles into this wireless buddy box, when it comes out. (I also have Futaba connector if needed) I plan to order a glider from Espirit anyways, so why not get this piece of fine furniture also! Very nice being able to turn the camera with my head, though only 1 of my 3 FPV planes have a panning camera.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:31 AM
Joined Feb 2004
543 Posts
Does anyone know of a good place to get a comparison between the DC-16 and the DS-16? IE what are the differences?
Wetafly is offline Find More Posts by Wetafly
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:40 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2004
433 Posts
Hmmm...I have been looking for a good tray radio, and was excited when I saw the Jeti many months ago. It's looking like a very real thing now.

But much of the discussion here is above my head. I have been flying JR for donkey's years now, and I'm wondering if the DC16 is compatible with the JR/Spektrum Rx's, or will they all have to be replaced with new Jeti Rx's?

And, I have to admit I didn't understand the telemetry schematic back on post 103. I'm not sure which of those items was an actual receiver, and if servos plug into it, or into the 4-channel expanders. Do telemetry sensors take the space of 1 servo channel?

So many questions...
drice is offline Find More Posts by drice
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:00 PM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
Wetafly - AFAIK, the DS-16 is a DC-16 in a different case.

Drice - Jeti Tx only works Jeti Rx - nobody is yet selling clone receivers. The servos plug into the servo outputs on the receivers. The sensors connect to the 'EXT' port. If you want to use more than the one sensor, you need to use an expander, into which the sensors all connect.

PS - I love my DC-16
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Jul 2004
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTarling View Post
Jeti Tx only works Jeti Rx - nobody is yet selling clone receivers. The servos plug into the servo outputs on the receivers. The sensors connect to the 'EXT' port. If you want to use more than the one sensor, you need to use an expander, into which the sensors all connect.
Thank you Gordon. This could be an exceptionally expensive changeover then.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined May 2010
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drice View Post
And, I have to admit I didn't understand the telemetry schematic back on post 103. I'm not sure which of those items was an actual receiver, and if servos plug into it, or into the 4-channel expanders. Do telemetry sensors take the space of 1 servo channel?

So many questions...
We created page for faster and simpler telemetry overview explanation. We updated page to be fully interactive.

The receiver has dedicated EXT connector for telemetry output. All expanders can be daisy chained, like you can see on the picture.
Expander = 4 Input or 3 Input + Next Expander ->

Zb/Esprit Model

http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-dupl...telemetry.aspx

Site Sponsor
Last edited by Esprit Model; Oct 13, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined May 2010
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drice View Post
Thank you Gordon. This could be an exceptionally expensive changeover then.
Not really, I have sold almost all my Spektrum Gear. Got good money for it.
On the top of it, telemetry saved my $7000.00 scale composite Ventus 2cx sailplane. Retract servo got stock and drained both Rx packs.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Jul 2004
433 Posts
The interactive model is pretty nice. I'll have to spend some time doing more research, as my current project uses 16 servos. Currently using Matchboxes for some of the doubling on my JR11X for ail/flap/elev/retract/etc...but I need to get a better understanding of how the DC16 lets me use 16 channels, and if I still get Telemetry with 16 channels, and how I get 10's of Amps through the Rx to all 16 servos, and and and and and...

Research time...
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:46 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
One thing Jeti receivers are good at is emulating Matchboxes. The receiver outputs can be set to whatever input channel you want. Each output has endpoint, subtrim adjustment as well as reversing. Can also synch output channels should you wish.

I set two receiver outputs to my single elevator input. Set each servo up on the receiver. Makes transmitter programming a little easier if nothing else.

Can also make 2 receivers into a single system. Have an 8 channel RX set to channels 1 to 8 and a second 8 channel RX set to 9 to 16.

Can get receivers with external power connectors as well. Rather than having all the battery current coming through normal servo connectors it is attached to the power bus with thicker wires and a multiplex high current connector.

Dave
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Jul 2004
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpalms View Post
One thing Jeti receivers are good at is emulating Matchboxes. The receiver outputs can be set to whatever input channel you want. Each output has endpoint, subtrim adjustment as well as reversing. Can also synch output channels should you wish.

I set two receiver outputs to my single elevator input. Set each servo up on the receiver. Makes transmitter programming a little easier if nothing else.

Can also make 2 receivers into a single system. Have an 8 channel RX set to channels 1 to 8 and a second 8 channel RX set to 9 to 16.

Can get receivers with external power connectors as well. Rather than having all the battery current coming through normal servo connectors it is attached to the power bus with thicker wires and a multiplex high current connector.

Dave
Sounds good. Where can I read up on all this? Where do I find all the options and flying hardware setup information?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Feb 2004
543 Posts
Took the plunge and ordered a DC-16 from Esprit. Got the R18rx with satellite too so I can eliminate the Powerbox as this is ultimately for my 42% Slick 360. Will use a current meter to monitor the rudder servo and temp sensors for the motor (DA200). Ideally I would use EGT sensors but the telemetry seems mostly aimed at Electric and gliders. Looking forwards to having a proper tray radio after all these years..
Wetafly is offline Find More Posts by Wetafly