HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:28 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasairIII View Post
Well, I was on the fence in regards to antennegate. But, after seeing the radio being held by somebodys hands. I don't see an issue with the antenna

Radio appears to be sized correctly for thumb use. Nice
Personally, the antenna "issue" was always a non-issue for me. The thing that has me more concerned is the orientation of the side sliders. From the pictures (and from experience with other radios) having the sliders positioned so they operate vertically seems more natural than the current horizontal arrangement. Earlier pictures of the DS-16 showed the slider oriented so they operated vertically (like most radios).

grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:40 PM
Melbourne, FL
Joined Dec 2004
1,039 Posts
I know it is hard to tell without holding an actual DS-16 in your hands but the new horizontal position of the side levers is a big improvement. On the early prototype we have the side levers were vertical. There was practically no way to keep from hitting the levers when you held the radio. The new position is much nicer. The levers are still easy to reach when you want to and not in the way when you don't.

Danny
Esprit Model
F1 Rocket is offline Find More Posts by F1 Rocket
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:12 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
I like the position of the sliders, looks they will fall in a more natural position for the way I hold the transmitter (pinch style).
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:08 AM
Germany, HE, Frankfurt
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
Hello all,
it's my first post here at rcgroups and I am carefully following the discussion and the news about the DS-16.
I fully agree with grumpy42 above.
Because the question is how sensitive you are able to move the slider in that position?
Thus I am very curious about the day when holding the transmitter in my own hands for the first time.
MTee is offline Find More Posts by MTee
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:30 AM
Joined Feb 2004
530 Posts
Finally the penny dropped. The little plastic caps that came with my DC16 are to blank the holes if I want to remove any switches. Actually I could easily take out most of them.
Wetafly is offline Find More Posts by Wetafly
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:40 AM
USN (retired)
Idaho
Joined Jul 2007
218 Posts
I'm committed to buying one of these radios, but it's difficult to decide on which one without being able to hold them. Would it be possible to get a demo video showing someone holding them as if flying and showing how the switches, pots and sliders are accessable with thumbs(fingers) on the sticks?
flymustangs is offline Find More Posts by flymustangs
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:55 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,048 Posts
DC-16 or DS-16 ?

This video shows the DC-16 sticks geting a pretty good workout, but nothing on switches, pots or sliders (other than one stick-top switch):
IITOP 2012 JETI dc-16 in action (2 min 10 sec)

There is also this one of the DS-16. Skip to the last 1/3 to see some closeups.
JETI DS-16 DUPLEX EX (1 min 18 sec)
Geoff_S is online now Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:30 AM
USN (retired)
Idaho
Joined Jul 2007
218 Posts
Thanks! Those are great, but I was hoping for some interaction with the switches and levers.

Here's the dilemma. I currently use a "normal" radio, but use it with a small, underneath tray. That way my hands still wrap around the TX so I can access the switches quickly. The primary reason is to be able to use one of the top switches for a throttle hold while flying helicopters.

The only tray radio I've tried is the FX-20. I didn't like it at all. Besides the fact that it felt like a toy, the switches weren't positioned in a very good place for use as a throttle hold (without moving a hand from the sticks).
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
It was about time someone realised it was stupid to put the computer screen below your hands, as far as possible from the thing you're trying to see (plane/heli). I see most computer transmitters progressively shifting to the above-stick screens in the future, it just makes more sense.
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:38 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymustangs View Post
... The primary reason is to be able to use one of the top switches for a throttle hold while flying helicopters.
Could you use a stick-top switch for throttle hold ? Gernot uses his a few times in that first video (e.g. around 40 seconds in). I've no idea what he was controlling with it though.
Geoff_S is online now Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:43 PM
USN (retired)
Idaho
Joined Jul 2007
218 Posts
I thought about that, but that wouldn't work. I don't do a full pinch on the sticks. I rest my thumb on top and have my index finger in front.

I have found a couple more videos on youtube and it might work with one of the other switches. I might have to swap/remove them to get a longer one in the correct position without other ones being in the way.

I'm kind of leaning toward the DC-16 at this point. I guess part of that is they will be available at least a couple of months before the DS-16.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined May 2010
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_S View Post
Could you use a stick-top switch for throttle hold ? Gernot uses his a few times in that first video (e.g. around 40 seconds in). I've no idea what he was controlling with it though.
I think he used it for changing pitch on the propeller. His routine for indoor 3D is quite impressive.

Zb/Esprit Model
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined May 2010
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymustangs View Post
I thought about that, but that wouldn't work. I don't do a full pinch on the sticks. I rest my thumb on top and have my index finger in front.

I have found a couple more videos on youtube and it might work with one of the other switches. I might have to swap/remove them to get a longer one in the correct position without other ones being in the way.

I'm kind of leaning toward the DC-16 at this point. I guess part of that is they will be available at least a couple of months before the DS-16.
Hard to say, I would determine my preference with the way I rest my palms. If you are used to supporting your hands by the tray of the radio go for DC-16. I was always tray flyer, this way I am not holding anything.

Zb/Esprit Model
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:17 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
He doesn't use VPP in his freestyle. Almost certainly rates.

This view of the flight is much more interesting: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=BkJ39...%3DBkJ39Wr17fo

Jeti very good for indoor. The R6G is very small and light. Like all Jeti receivers it can run directly on 2S which is common practice.

Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:20 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Can use any switch for throttle hold. The momentary one probably better as less easy to flick :-)

I found the conventional switch on stick is most practical for tasks like rates or flight modes.

Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms