HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:30 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
You shouldn't let engineers get involved they'll want to build a radio that works when what us important is how pretty it looks

Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:32 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2004
431 Posts
It's not how good you are, it's how good you look, and Darling, you look Mahvelous.
/Billy Crystal
drice is offline Find More Posts by drice
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:46 PM
USN (retired)
Idaho
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
OK. I'm confused now. You're taking pre-orders on a radio before the final production model is estabished. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning there.

I also thought the FCC testing was all completed and you were just waiting for the go ahead. Is this just for the DC-16? I'm not an RF engineer, but it sure seems like antenna placement could have an impact on the RF performance and should be part of the FCC testing in its final form.
flymustangs is offline Find More Posts by flymustangs
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined May 2010
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymustangs View Post
OK. I'm confused now. You're taking pre-orders on a radio before the final production model is estabished. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning there.

I also thought the FCC testing was all completed and you were just waiting for the go ahead. Is this just for the DC-16? I'm not an RF engineer, but it sure seems like antenna placement could have an impact on the RF performance and should be part of the FCC testing in its final form.
We are taking pre-orders for DS-16 (Handheld Type). Design of the radio is 99% finished we just need to finalize antenna covers. Just for your information RF performance has nothing to do with antenna Covers, they must be transparent to RF energy. And after finishing testing with DC-16 we already know power levels of the tray type handle/cover set up.

The DC-16 (Tray Type) FCC is certified, we just waiting on official FCC number.

Zb/Esprit Model

Took more pictures this afternoon.
Used antenna is just for our evaluation. The design is 99% finishes but antenna cover is still being decided.
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Jul 2004
431 Posts
I think it looks nice.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined May 2008
204 Posts
Antennagate...

The concept model on the left would probably be the best from a signal standpoint assuming the aluminum back for the screen isn't too much of an RF blocker. It would also serve double-duty as the handle-- much like the DC-16.

Any update on final formal FCC approval and a possible ship-date for us DC-16 buyers? Looking forward to some hands-on time with it.
Kiba is offline Find More Posts by Kiba
Last edited by Kiba; Nov 05, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:06 PM
USN (retired)
Idaho
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
Thanks for the clarification and the additional pictures. How about some pictures of the DS-16 and DC-16 together?

If the final production version of the DS-16 hasn't been set, is January still a realistic delivery timeframe?

I'm just trying to decided if I want to wait for the DS-16 or go ahead and get the DC-16.
flymustangs is offline Find More Posts by flymustangs
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:59 PM
Soaring in Sol Cal
San Diego, CA
Joined Jul 2007
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
Great news!
We just received ours first functional DS-16 radio from Jeti. A limited number of pre-orders are available at the introductory price of $1295.00. Pre-orders include (1) R9 receiver. The pre-order period expires November 30th 2012. Starting December 1st 2012 the TX only price will be $1495. Deliveries are expected in January.

Used antenna is just for our evaluation. The design is 99% finishes but antennas are still being decided.

Zb/Esprit Model

--------------------------------------------------------------

I feel rushed on this purchase now. Not a good feeling! After waiting all this time for the transmitter to finally be developed, we are told to pre-order now before most will ever be able to hold the thing.

Since your attending the AMA show in California in Janurary, will you offer a similar pre-order price for that specific event. I would attend the show just to be able to hold the radios in person and place an order that day.
rcGman is offline Find More Posts by rcGman
Last edited by rcGman; Nov 06, 2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Jul 2004
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcGman View Post

I feel rushed on this purchase now. Not a good feeling! After waiting all this time for the transmitter to finally be developed, we are told to pre-order now before most will ever be able to hold the thing.

Since your attending the AMA show in California in Janurary, will you offer a similar pre-order price for that specific event. I would attend the show just to be able to hold the radios in person and place an order that day.
+1...Mee too.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:07 AM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Mar 2002
316 Posts
Would it not be possible to make the whole display case out of plastic and the hide the antenna inside?

Would it not be possible to use patch antennas? I know it would mean to change the board layout, testing etc, but in long term ...

Is there any reason that the DS-16 (handheld) has two switches less than the DC-16? Is this final?
Viktor is offline Find More Posts by Viktor
Last edited by Viktor; Nov 06, 2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:23 AM
Joined Nov 2007
20 Posts
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...dsender/page27

Quote:
My german is poor at best, but this link to google might help:
http://translate.google.com/translat...ender%2Fpage27
I can't see anything obvious there discussing technical issues with the antenna - just people moaning about the styling effects
Exactly.

JETI should consider a circularly polarized patch antenna as used by Weatronic. Okay, w'd mean 3dB basic loss in connection with a linearly polarized receiver antenna but: So what?

Tom (Kraut)
dl7uae is offline Find More Posts by dl7uae
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined May 2010
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcGman View Post

Please remember you are not buying anything, you just securing your price with deposit. If you change your mind you do NOT have to buy radio, deposit is 100% refundable anytime you like. Unfortunately we have to somehow organize the sale.

Zb/Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined May 2010
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymustangs View Post
Thanks for the clarification and the additional pictures. How about some pictures of the DS-16 and DC-16 together?

If the final production version of the DS-16 hasn't been set, is January still a realistic delivery timeframe?

I'm just trying to decided if I want to wait for the DS-16 or go ahead and get the DC-16.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:29 PM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Mar 2002
316 Posts
How many switches does the handheld TX has, it seems to me the tray has 10, on the handheld I can see only 8, are they any switches on the back?

Thanks, Viktor
Viktor is offline Find More Posts by Viktor
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:34 PM
Lover of fast slope gliders!
United States, AZ, Goodyear
Joined Apr 2004
538 Posts
Well, I was on the fence in regards to antennegate. But, after seeing the radio being held by somebodys hands. I don't see an issue with the antenna

Radio appears to be sized correctly for thumb use. Nice
glasairIII is online now Find More Posts by glasairIII