Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
View Poll Results: Which of the 4 Brushless motors should i buy for Plane
Emax BL3526/04 860kv Outrunner Brushless Motor (3 cell lipo 13x6.5e est. 620w 90oz thrust) 0 0%
Emax GT3526/05 710kv Outrunner Brushless Motor (3 cell lipo 15x5.5 rough est 600+w 115oz thrust) 1 33.33%
Tacon Big Foot 32 770KV Outrunner Brushless motor (4 cell lipo 14x5.5 6-700watts rough est 90+ oz thrust) 1 33.33%
Turnigy G46 Brushless Outrunner 420kv (5 cell lipo 15x6 rough est 800 watts 100+ oz thrust ) 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:18 AM
houstonia,mo
Joined Mar 2010
43 Posts
Build Log
hobbico superstar 40 size wing rebuild and glow to electric conv

Need help with a hobbico superstar 40 size wing rebuild. She had a rough dead stick landing, came in a bit hot landing lets just say corn stocks are tougher than they seem to appear
-Oh well what i get for flying in the back yard Building r/c planes can be just as fun and relaxing as flying them in my opinion.

My plan is to make it somewhat resemble a super cub why i used yellow covering. Also would like to buy or fabricate spring main gear like the full scale bush pilot style main gear tail dragger style. The reason being wanted to use 4'' wheels i have sometimes. Not fun dealing with a broken prop every time i hit a tiny bump LOL.
I'm not a novice i have build 3-4 kits myself nore do i think im an expert

I have became quite interested and intrigued with how far along electric has come along Lipo batteries, Brushless motors. and chargers. Impressed I'd have to admit, prices have went down quite a bit if you shop around also.
Neways..

There are a few wing ribs broken and needs to be re sheeted again no big deal. Wanted to get some opinion on making sure the wing is flat and not warped. I converted it from a 40 size removed dihedral to 0. Also changed over to barn door flaps and ailerons was gonna change to singed servo flaps instead of duals to save on weight.

Opinions and advice/help tell me what you all think
Thanks for taking the time reading/posting
stinger0518 is offline Find More Posts by stinger0518
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:05 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Well, something to help figure which motor to go with is what your next model might be. If it's going to be larger, start with 5S batteries that you can move to that next plane.

I had a hobbico flightstar 40 until my DX5e recently killed it, I had a 770kv motor that could handle a good bit of power without heating up, was running it on 4S and with a 13x10 prop it would just hover with a weight of about 5.5 lbs.

Motor and 100A ESC stayed cool, but it stressed my 4000mAh 45C batteries a bit, they got noticeably warm.

What I noticed with 12x6 and 13x6 props was it took a lot of throttle (and noise and wasted power) to 'cruise', and it seemed a good bit happier with an x8 prop, where I could fly it pretty well at closer to 1/2 throttle rather than 3/4.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:38 PM
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,176 Posts
Tacon 32. I have a Tacon 60 and it works very well.

Another one to think about is an EMP.

http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.a...48&Location=LA

http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.a...16&Location=LA

Buzz.,
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:56 AM
houstonia,mo
Joined Mar 2010
43 Posts
Thanks for the input blvdbuzzard's and cny.
I have decided and will be going with a Emax GT3526/050,
Want breathing room for other models if need be, did some digging and they seem pretty rugged and designed well for the price. I like heads up rc, based out in FL forgot his name but they are honest and post a lot of motor data put it to you straight.
My ideal setup with 40 size trainer would be:

Emax GT3526/05
HURC 80 Amp OPTO and 100 amp burst does 2-7 lipo
ubec i have laying around think its 3-4 amp plenty..
sky lipo 5000mAh 30C 11.1V has a Hardcase 5000/30c cont. = 166 cont amps?
15x8e apc

so with that setup and prop/battery/esc math = out to
45-50 amps 11.1 3s
500-550 watts maybe more depends

model weights about 5 lb gas will have to see with electric

Plane is 3/4 build only needs a few ribs fixed and a few sheets of balsa. Think im gonna go with the cub style spring gear along with a lighter foam 4in wheels. The plywood on fuse needs replaced with lighter ply little thick.
I really like the spring gear tailtragger setup i have seen. A lot more forgiving and i don't rip off the ply in fuse at all . Reminds me of trainer gear, come in hot just bend it back and done...
So this should give me plenty of room for that big battery and maybe a nice digital hd cam i have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Well, something to help figure which motor to go with is what your next model might be. If it's going to be larger, start with 5S batteries that you can move to that next plane.

I had a hobbico flightstar 40 until my DX5e recently killed it, I had a 770kv motor that could handle a good bit of power without heating up, was running it on 4S and with a 13x10 prop it would just hover with a weight of about 5.5 lbs.

Motor and 100A ESC stayed cool, but it stressed my 4000mAh 45C batteries a bit, they got noticeably warm.

What I noticed with 12x6 and 13x6 props was it took a lot of throttle (and noise and wasted power) to 'cruise', and it seemed a good bit happier with an x8 prop, where I could fly it pretty well at closer to 1/2 throttle rather than 3/4.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:06 AM
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,176 Posts
Here is an online caclutor. You can pick a motor that is close to the one you want then pick custom and change the settings to match yours.

http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm

Try not to let the magic smoke out. . If you do not have a watt meter, you should get one. They will save you a lot of head aches.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/aeo-p0-watt-meter.html

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:56 PM
houstonia,mo
Joined Mar 2010
43 Posts
Thanks for the link to the moto calc. pretty nifty tool. Ya i'll order one for my r/c stuff. I'm a sparky so i keep one handy for my work, will order one online thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard View Post
Here is an online caclutor. You can pick a motor that is close to the one you want then pick custom and change the settings to match yours.

http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm

Try not to let the magic smoke out. . If you do not have a watt meter, you should get one. They will save you a lot of head aches.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/aeo-p0-watt-meter.html

Buzz.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:19 AM
houstonia,mo
Joined Mar 2010
43 Posts
sorry for slow thread guys been pretty busy lately

Cameras are nice for fvc systems, gov. has drones why can't I LOL.
Off subject but the military's uavs are pretty nice r/c style but made more ediot proof seems like they have a head lock gyro with gps programmable setup. a mighty price tag i might add also ...

Have that flightpath programmed in with gyro/gps equip.
Would be ideal with 2 cameras flight cam low cost hud unit
2nd cam high quality cam with everything tied into gyro/gps unit and fvc

Would help to have i high gain db signal booster for 2.4 system radio/4-6ghz video so the waves won't crosstalk LOL
1 watt no FCC licence

That would give me enough power to punch a mile easy {line of sight}
So i could climb to 1000 ft agl and fly around with hawk eyes LOL. That would be some serious fun, eye in the sky is no joke....

I have some experience want to build a custom setup to cut cost homebuild electronics can be "fun"

So i plan on having a 2 man crew setup with a HUD display/LCD screen i know a bit about electronics so the gps system might come cheaper if i can mod an old phone etc what do you all think?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:14 PM
houstonia,mo
Joined Mar 2010
43 Posts
re: sorry for so much time inbetween post

My bad guys for such a long time in between post; been attending college full time, so I'm quite busy. Hopefully, I'll finish work on plane and possible make an aerial video setup. Little bit tight on funds poor college student at the moment. Things are looking up though
Last edited by stinger0518; Mar 19, 2013 at 04:19 PM.