HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:28 AM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,780 Posts
I have only been back to RC for a year so my electric experience is limited. However, is it that common to have your motor temps high enough to get the mount bracket above 74C? If Loctite makes a similar material that goes to higher temps than maybe it is a better choice. The blue stuff is probably still fine too if you don't use too much and use a soldering iron to release it.

Also, the VC-3 can go above the temp limits and will be fine as long as it doesn't see continuous use at that temp.

Dave
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:02 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
Thanks Dave, I found it in a smaller size (5 ml) for $7.49, free shipping, and figured that would probably do a lot of motor set screws!

Also found 6mm button heads 2.5mm x 6mm, twenty for $6 so that should take care of 20 motors, all told. Shipping adds some, but one less wrecked plane would more than cover it.
Can you provide a link to this (free shipping ). I'm a bit of a chemicle pack rat and I would like to add this to my inventory. Another tool in the box.
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:07 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,215 Posts
Most of the motors will not get too much beyond that. The bearing tube is the path out for the heat and that puts most of the heat in the motor mount (CD-ROM style) or back plate (newer style motors).

I think the last place to get very hot is the front end of the magnet housing where there are usually one or two of these set screws. To get the magnet housing that hot you have to be really cooking in the windings and by that time the magnets (good up to 50C or so at best) will be giving up before the locking compound.

I use the Loctite blue almost exclusively. The red is just too aggressive for these little screws for me.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:10 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,780 Posts
I am wondering if the Loctite equivalent of VC-3 is Vibra-Seal 516. It appears to be pre-applied and I can't even find sample bottles. It goes to 150C though.

I will be seeing the Loctite rep. today so I will ask him.

Dave
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:00 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroback View Post
Can you provide a link to this (free shipping ). I'm a bit of a chemicle pack rat and I would like to add this to my inventory. Another tool in the box.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/1508652...Types&var=sbar
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:28 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,215 Posts
That seller offers it in the larger 30 cc bottle also, that would cost about three times as much but you would get six times as much of the locking compound.

Jack
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:57 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Thank you
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
This may be of help with the tools the the LHS recently did a reset and i was going through the car section and noticed a aisle of car/buggy tools. The car guys have some great tool manufactures. I found this Allen driver for three bucks. It has an almost to tight fit. It removed a couple of 80% camed out screws that other drivers were slipping on from a busted motor I bought. I tested it on a couple of new Exceeds and it barely fit, had to be perfectly square to get it in the hole. There were more expensive brands with replaceable tips. A good tool can prevent allot of grief.
The second find of the day was at Wall mart. This kit was $8.99 the best part is it has a magnetic extension for deep reach. The hex head drivers are an average fit but good enough at the field. The Phillips heads fit Phillips screws but I would not use them on the JIS screws used to mount the back plate to the firewall mount, other than that a good assortment that doesn't take up allot of space in the field box.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:08 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,215 Posts
"..doesn't take up allot of space in the field box..."

Yeah, but you are required to also have to carry enough pairs of goggles so that you and everyone else on the field can put safety goggles on when you use them. Doesn't that take up a lot of space?

To say nothing of the sanitation issues with wearing goggles that may have been previously worn by someone else? And someone is bound to sneak away and try to keep them...

All those issues!

Jack
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:25 AM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,558 Posts
I found these to be a perfect set and the price was right to.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
SteveC68 is online now Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:33 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
"..doesn't take up allot of space in the field box..."

Yeah, but you are required to also have to carry enough pairs of goggles so that you and everyone else on the field can put safety goggles on when you use them. Doesn't that take up a lot of space?

To say nothing of the sanitation issues with wearing goggles that may have been previously worn by someone else? And someone is bound to sneak away and try to keep them...

All those issues!

Jack
Depends how fast you turn a screwdriver. If you turn under 1000 RPM, you can probably get away with shutting your eyes and warning others to turn away for a minute.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:10 AM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
687 Posts
One of the many problems with Allan or similar set screws seems to be thin walls.
I've had not a few split. Heat and penetrating solvent/lubrication can help with removal.

Another problem area was the head to shaft bonding of more or less conventional screws.
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
You have to understand the translation. What they mean is wear your bystanders goggles safely. You know like safe...
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:13 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,072 Posts
You can't comfortably wear a bystander while screwing, even if you use their goggles.

I think what they mean is 'ware you standards by is google safety, and watch you i's.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:10 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,515 Posts
What if I'm sitting in a chair?
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀