HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:12 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,682 Posts
You're right about the Torx screws handling the driving forces better, I just haven't stumbled across them yet in the 3mm-0.5 x 6mm size yet.

The fact that most of the 3mm tapped holes that I put the screws in are in aluminum is also a consideration. When I tighten the screws with only 4-5 threads of engagement I have to remember that I am approaching the threshhold where the threads will be stripped out of the aluminum by the steel screws.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:51 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,551 Posts
Ran across this torkscrew set at Princess Auto, one of our larger hardware stores up here. Not sure of their sizing system but the smallest one shows CRVT6 stamped into it and measures 2MM across the tip. Upper end is the standard 1/4 in. drive. May show up in Home Depot or some such.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:23 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,682 Posts
The Torx wrench numbers, T1 to T100, are arbitrarily assigned. So the number does not really relate to anything you can measure on the wrench or socket.

The T6 you measure at 2mm is for a socket that, by the specs, is 1.7mm across the socket point-to-point. The specs on the T7 say it is 1.9mm point-to-point.

http://www.wihatools.com/Marketing/torxspec.htm

Of course, there will be tolerances so the wrenches fit sockets and the like and measurements will vary a little.

The Trox drive is a good system. It probably applies more driving forces perpendicular to the rotation than hex, square, spline, or any other screw drive system. Now if we can just get everyone to use it everywhere...

Jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:04 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,864 Posts
Nawww.. Torx is largely a GM affectation. Mercifully
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:58 AM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,588 Posts
im not sure why but ive used the type allen drivers the rc car guys use , they work much better , also like was said above , heat it up a bit , will soften loctite if it was used to make removing easier ....
Dennis Everett is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:01 AM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Houston, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2004
987 Posts
Avoid rigging in the 1st place

The short answer is take the time to find VERY TIGHTLY fitting wrenches.
Avoid temptation to whomp down on it if your wrench has ANY slop at all.
rc crashburn is offline Find More Posts by rc crashburn
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:30 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
AMC Jeep introduced the world to Torx in the late 70's and now there every where.
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,207 Posts
sometimes I have to use a thin dremel wheel and cut right down the middle of the hole and into the screw then use a small jewlers driver to get the bugger out, dont laugh it worx
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Now that the screw is out where can I find small metric set screws ? I think 2.5mmX5mmX.45mm

Got lucky today and broke a motor shaft and what do you know, the screw has Loctite from He... on it. Heating got to a point of concern and it wouldn't budge with the best wrench and finally stripped. I have a set of larger extraction tools with a similar profile to the Torx bit which gave me this this idea. I drilled into the screw using cutting oil and few of dull drill bits later bottomed out on the way over hardened shaft. I found a fresh bit a little smaller than the Torx bit. Once the hole was opened up I tapped the Torx in until I felt it bite. With reheating and a good grab on the screw it came out. Saved the motor from the parts pile.
Last edited by zeroback; Jul 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:06 AM
Joined Apr 2010
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I've just rounded off yet another couple of shaft retaining set-screws (grub screws to those of us in the UK) while attempting to remove a motor shaft
I'm using a new good quality allen key but yet again I'm going to have to drill the screws out (which is always a bit of a worrying job). Is it just me, am I doing something wrong?

Maybe i should heat the part to soften any locking compound before trying to shift them?

Steve
If you have them, use a ball end allen wrench to remove them. Sometimes a quick jolt to the wrench will pop them loose.
icarus46 is offline Find More Posts by icarus46
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:12 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
old or cheap allen wrenches, soft grub screws, too much or too high-strength thread lock compound... all cause problems ... and don't mix metric with imperial allen keys ...

applying heat from soldering iron is always a good 1st port of call ...
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:37 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,682 Posts
"..and don't mix metric with imperial allen keys..."

Except in the case of forcing a 1/16" wrench into a 1.5mm socket that has been molested by the unwise use of a 1.5mm ball ended wrench, a loose fitting wrench, or a locking compound that has not given up yet.

Jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:26 AM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
421 Posts
Another old trick is to put some valve grinding compound in the hex hole, then try and wrench it out. It helps close the "slop," so you can apply torque to the screw.
bfaulguy is offline Find More Posts by bfaulguy
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfaulguy View Post
Another old trick is to put some valve grinding compound in the hex hole, then try and wrench it out. It helps close the "slop," so you can apply torque to the screw.
Another fellow some where mention A&P guys have a compound specifically for cammed out fastener head's, one of the ingredients is diamond dust. VG compound sounds cheaper.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:16 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Great information here, it inspired me to post this in another section.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post22360875

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete