HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:06 AM
Chennai
Joined Oct 2007
7 Posts
Help!
DIY brushless motor

Dear Friends,

I would like start the thread with an apology if this post has been made at the wrong place and will gracefully retire if so.

I am simply fascinated by the videos on youtube showing different small brushless motors achieving an high rpm which are often home made. Getting interested into this I looked at varying resources and finally was able to understand the theoretical part of it. Since I am not from the electrical or electronics domain certain things are stopping me from doing my own as shown in the below video

Micro Brushless Motor (1 min 9 sec)

Saying having understood the theoretical part of it, I am not able to know how to build one practically. Like the steps involved in wiring the stators, the type of magnet to be used as a rotator, or the way the sensor has to be connected to the coil ends to detect the angular movements etc., Can someone point me to a step by step layman type guide to building a simple brushless motor and the components involved please. If the terms "layman" and "Brushless motor design" does not go side by side then kindly forgive me. I wish to make a motor as in the above video. And thank you all for your time.

Also I wish to share the video that taught me about brushless motors.

How the Brushless motors are made (BLDC) (7 min 43 sec)

Regards,

Ashok Srinivasan.
aalavandhaann is offline Find More Posts by aalavandhaann
Last edited by aalavandhaann; Jul 17, 2012 at 02:14 AM. Reason: changed the thread title type to help from discussions
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:33 AM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
You need to take alook at this thread, it is based on the motor you have posted here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596219
Veteran is offline Find More Posts by Veteran
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:41 AM
Chennai
Joined Oct 2007
7 Posts
Thank you for sharing this.

Veteran,

Thank you for having shared this. With a lot of posts in this forum and due to my bad searching abilities did not come across this thread. But still I have started reading it. Though the information is a bit textual but still useful to start with. Thank you once again for having shared this.

Regards,

Ashok Srinivasan.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:10 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
Here's another thread on another site that has heaps of good information started by a fellow rcg member
http://www.westknoxrc.com/index.php/...0d97942767ef77
Heliman420 is offline Find More Posts by Heliman420
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:00 PM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
Thanks for posting those vids! I had only a vague and theoretical concept of how BL works, nice to learn the practical side!
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:19 PM
Max
Joined Jul 2006
411 Posts
Micro brushless build

Hey, check out my blog post for a practical side of it :
http://maxoffsky.com/maxoffsky-blog/...ushless-motor/

Feel free to ask questions,
Good luck!
msurguy is offline Find More Posts by msurguy
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:40 PM
Chennai
Joined Oct 2007
7 Posts
Thank you guys.

Thank you veteran, heliman and msurguy,

So far your resources have been very useful to understand and i am on my way to make my first brushless motor. Wish me good luck and for sure i will bother you my friends in case i stumble upon any difficulties.

Regards,

Ashok Srinivasan.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:46 PM
Chennai
Joined Oct 2007
7 Posts
Hello Msurguy,

Can you list some details like

* what is the spec of the magnet used.
* the wire you used in your version of motor.
* finally the wiring to the sensor could be a bit explanatory

But ultimately your motor looks very great.

Regards,

Ashok Srinivasan.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:25 AM
Chennai
Joined Oct 2007
7 Posts
What is the tiny board on the top?

I have a couple of questions.

* If I make 200 turns of a coil then I will be left with two ends ultimately. Does supplying with the supported rating of power and voltage rotates the motor?

* So with a single coil winding is it known as Single phase motor?

* I am still not able to understand the controller part of the motor in the above video. The tiny board is a kind of sensor (maybe halleffect?) In another site this part has been mentioned as the Allegro A1442. I see that it has a VCC, GND and two Vouts and one Sleep. So do we need an external microcontroller to control the orientation and speed of the motor?

I agree that there is enough information out there and unfortunately the problem is that it is sometimes overwhelming either lacks good explanation. But after reading up a lot I was able to find and understand that A1442 is the magic control needed to run Brushless motors. Do we have any alternative IC's to achieve the same?

Kindly apologize me if the post is unclear for it shows the state of my mind

Regards,

Ashok Srinivasan.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:17 PM
Max
Joined Jul 2006
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalavandhaann View Post
I have a couple of questions.

* If I make 200 turns of a coil then I will be left with two ends ultimately. Does supplying with the supported rating of power and voltage rotates the motor?

* So with a single coil winding is it known as Single phase motor?

* I am still not able to understand the controller part of the motor in the above video. The tiny board is a kind of sensor (maybe halleffect?) In another site this part has been mentioned as the Allegro A1442. I see that it has a VCC, GND and two Vouts and one Sleep. So do we need an external microcontroller to control the orientation and speed of the motor?

I agree that there is enough information out there and unfortunately the problem is that it is sometimes overwhelming either lacks good explanation. But after reading up a lot I was able to find and understand that A1442 is the magic control needed to run Brushless motors. Do we have any alternative IC's to achieve the same?

Kindly apologize me if the post is unclear for it shows the state of my mind

Regards,

Ashok Srinivasan.
Hi !
I will provide you with some answers.

Yes, this is a Single phase brushless motor since there is only one coil.
The magical chip from allegro is indeed a hall effect + IC all in one, so you don't need a separate microcontroller to take care of sensing the magnet rotation.
The wiring is very simple, take a look at the photo of the Allegro chip and the wiring on my blog and do exactly the same. The Sleep pin and VDD should be connected together so make sure you do that.

I don't remember the exact details of the coil, but I believe it was something like 150-200 turns of 46-48 gauge coil.
The magnet was taken out of existing brushed pager motor and repurposed for my application.
I believe this could also be achieved by sandwiching two magnets around the shaft and gluing them, please take a look at this thread as it has very precise information about micro brushless motors : http://www.westknoxrc.com/index.php?topic=625.0
msurguy is offline Find More Posts by msurguy