Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:04 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiend View Post
Bah..just checked order progress, and it's on backorder! I wish they'd show it on the product page..At least they're gonna send out my v939, but they say 5 days for stock to arrive for the transmitters...yeah right!!
Who did you order from? Oomodel ? 9imod ?
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:02 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
33 Posts
So, pardon my ignorance, but.... The Devo7 seems to have, well, more knobs and switches (can't tell the size). The 7e lacks those - so how do you set the throttle speed?All pre-programmed with "standard" and "stunt" modes?

The display looks awesome, but I don't want to give up functionality, and 15 helis will be FINE. :-P
AbeFM is offline Find More Posts by AbeFM
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:21 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
you use the software and the buttons to get to throttle curves
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:31 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
33 Posts
As basically someone new to 6 channels (other than my honey bee king2), it seems the knobs are nice to have till you figure out where you are comfortable.

You feel you're a lot better off with a proper "curve" then?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:41 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Rather than using a knob...yes way better off. Far more adjustable than a dial could ever be and you get a nice graph. You can adjust the full range of stick movement to match what output you would like.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:12 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
33 Posts
Cool. Sold.
If only I could find a place that will sub one controller for another at a reasonable price - on banggood, they are only $5 different, but to get the heli and controller will set me back $50 since I can't get a package deal.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined May 2011
655 Posts
If size doesn't matter, I would consider the DEVO 10 instead.
That has the most value for the price...
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Jun 2008
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Who did you order from? Oomodel ? 9imod ?
Banggood..if something looks too good to be true, it often is... more fool me!
fishfiend is offline Find More Posts by fishfiend
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:24 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,717 Posts
I'm with FDR_, if you're an adult with big enough hands then the Devo 10 is the best entry point.

The Devo7E is best for children and ladies who might have trouble to reach around the larger Tx or if you travel with your flying things and need a compact Tx.
The only problem with the 10 is that it does so much and noobs might get overwhelmed by the huge range of options.

The Devo7E gives a much simpler entry point than the 10 with a much better interface than the 7.

I would forget the 7 unless you *REALLY* must have 100mW power, a full size Tx (because you have big hands) and have no money... but even then, save a little longer and buy a 10.

Devo 7E means you can take your models anywhere anytime. Smaller, less hungry on batteries and perfect for indoor fliers too.

A year ago, I'd have said 15 entries was enough... this year I'm happy to have 30... though my wife and friends are seeking to get me in to rehab!
Cue Amy Winehouse (rip) song...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:30 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,717 Posts
Quote:
It'll arrive I'm sure and honestly I doubt there are so many places that have the 7E yet so you're not going to be any further behind than if you bought anywhere else.

Hard to be patient but with new stuff out of China, unless you pay Helipal prices you may have to wait a little until they get a decent number of orders for a bulk discount.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:35 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR_ View Post
If size doesn't matter, I would consider the DEVO 10 instead.
That has the most value for the price...
If want a few fun toys to fly about and don't really understand about RC then a 7E is for you, if you want to be a pilot, understand (or even want to understand) things like yaw, collective, flaperons and don't have tiny child hands, get a 10.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:48 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
I see the devo 7E lack of switchs...what is the use of having 7ch and no switch to control? Even the devo 6 have additional gear & D/R switch for me to toggle the spare channel..
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:05 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,717 Posts
It has one switch for TH or Gear and one for FLT mode. You program DR/Expo as you want for NORM/ST1 and then fly.
The point is to make it easy for beginners. If you need 4 or more switches then you're not a beginner and Devo 7E isn't targeted at you. That's what the 10 is for!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:06 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAFly View Post
I see the devo 7E lack of switchs...what is the use of having 7ch and no switch to control? Even the devo 6 have additional gear & D/R switch for me to toggle the spare channel..
Yeah - that was kinda the gist of my question. It looks easier to set up, and what sold me was the programibility of it.

Quote:
I'm with FDR_, if you're an adult with big enough hands then the Devo 10 is the best entry point.
Probably should have given it a more careful look - given the price jump to the 8s, I figured it would be a killer.

Quote:
I would forget the 7 unless you *REALLY* must have 100mW power, a full size Tx (because you have big hands) and have no money... but even then, save a little longer and buy a 10.

Devo 7E means you can take your models anywhere anytime. Smaller, less hungry on batteries and perfect for indoor fliers too.
I definitely mean to take it places in my backpack on a motorcycle, so in this case small is beautiful. The 7e has the same transmit power, no?

Quote:
I ended up getting the 'copter and 7e for $203 shipped from 7-11. Actually, I added in "trainer" main rotor blades (cause, what ARE they? Curious to see, only set me back $3) and a case, which pushed it closer to $250. Not bad for the 2012 version. Basically it cost $50 to get the Walkera branded, late model and 7e over the XH and a 7.

I'll let you know if it ever shows up - they say it's in stock right now.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:37 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,717 Posts
I've not seen any specs on the transmit power of the 7E but it has no 'AMPLI' setting which means whatever it it, it's fixed.
My guess is that it's 10mW not 100mW, but a multiple of 10 in power output only equates in an ideal situation to a doubling of range (read more on inverse square laws and EM radiation).