HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:22 PM
Joined May 2010
26 Posts
well so much for my grand scheme to use my 7E for more than just my Super CP... Looks like it would have been equally smart to just go for the Nano CP X with the DX4E - the 7E while programmable is almost just as limited as the DX4E in that it's only good for small heli's and really short range... Looks like I'll still need to buy a DX6i eventually now anyway.
brad24 is offline Find More Posts by brad24
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:12 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,460 Posts
To get the full 7mw of the Devo7e module. Make sure to set within DeviationX software to the 150mw setting. There was a post on by PhractureredBlue about that.

I don't have a Devo so I can't direct you directly.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:02 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
Results - well this is a bit disappointing at best.
Thanks for posting your test results. It's a bit of an eye opener, isn't it?
When you consider the types of helis this radio comes bundled with, from the factory, it's a real cause for concern. e.g. Master CP, Hoten, 450d03 and other larger rigs.
Buyers , especially those new to the hobby, believe that the radio that comes in an rtf, must at the least be up to the job, if not marvelous in other aspects. However, the cold light of reality reveals another truth.

@brad24
If you eventually get a Dx6i, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It is an excellent radio.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:50 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,879 Posts
Quote:
t. I wonder if I can use this antenna wire, whatever there is stuffed in the cute little plastic housing, and get it at 90 degrees up, down or sideways to the model.
You can remove the plastic antenna cover if you open up the tx, then just have the antenna wire hanging out loose. Wouldn't recommend it though, as you can get dirt/moisture inside the tx then.
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:34 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono View Post
Thanks for posting your test results. It's a bit of an eye opener, isn't it?
When you consider the types of helis this radio comes bundled with, from the factory, it's a real cause for concern. e.g. Master CP, Hoten, 450d03 and other larger rigs.
Buyers , especially those new to the hobby, believe that the radio that comes in an rtf, must at the least be up to the job, if not marvelous in other aspects. However, the cold light of reality reveals another truth.

@brad24
If you eventually get a Dx6i, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It is an excellent radio.
What sucks is that the previous Devo 7 has a much stronger transmission.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:28 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
The 7 _IS_ a full size TX though, the 7E is more like an advanced programmable toy TX; plastic gimbals, sticks, fewer switches, etc.
It's really aimed at the indoor market rather than flying larger stuff outside. I mean... flying an LB at 50m away I don't know how you manage to keep orientation - even with LEDs attached...
If you want to fly outdoors then I think you have to have a fullsize TX really - the worst thing is that they bundle it with the 450D03, but flying a master in a baseball diamond is reasonable.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:57 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
If I may also add a comment regarding the Devo 7, although definitely an improvement over the 7E's output power, it's not significantly higher.
The docs show 13 dBm (20mW). Forum member Hajile did some range testing with the 7 and found that the signal was okay out to 80m, beyond that it became hit and miss.
He made a thread about it here.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:32 PM
Joined May 2011
656 Posts
Quote:
Results - well this is a bit disappointing at best. With Tx turned 90 degrees to model I get about 75 to 80 yards before signal loss. With Tx pointed at the model (which is by default the way you have to fly unless you stand with your head turned 90 degrees) I got around 50 yards before signal loss. Full batts in Tx and model, 50 degrees F & humidity at 22%. This with Tx on the ground and me walking away in straight line of sight. I wonder if I can use this antenna wire, whatever there is stuffed in the cute little plastic housing, and get it at 90 degrees up, down or sideways to the model.
Actually if the tx was higher, it would probably give better range.
Not much, but should be better...
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:31 AM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
I was hoping to use it on an Armattan quad with the RX701 but will seriously reconsider now. I may get the Rx and do it anyway, it's not like I'd be flying the Armattan great distances away till I get used to it anyway, since I already have the radio that is.

@mono - where are you getting access to those docs for actual numbers?
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:18 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,971 Posts
@BD - I think mono was quoting from the FCC docs.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:58 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,212 Posts
That would be correct.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
FYI, while I haven't tried it myself, I believe a Devo8s module when connected properly will give full range on a Devo7e. The Devo7e transmits at max power all the time as far as I can tell, so you'd be running between 100 and 150mW with the stock firmware (due to rolloff, it is not clear exactly what you'd get, and I don't have any way to do precise measurements).
You would need to replace the antenna at the same time though. If I were to do it, I'd definitely switch to Deviation at the same time (well, I already am running it so we're not really talking about me here), because running at max power all the time is rude to others using the 2.4GHz spectrum if you don't need to.
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:44 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
FYI, while I haven't tried it myself, I believe a Devo8s module when connected properly will give full range on a Devo7e. The Devo7e transmits at max power all the time as far as I can tell, so you'd be running between 100 and 150mW with the stock firmware (due to rolloff, it is not clear exactly what you'd get, and I don't have any way to do precise measurements).
Just to make sure I'm on the same page...the 7E transmits at 100-150mW with stock firmware standalone or with stock firmware and the 8s module?
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined May 2011
656 Posts
Quote:
Just to make sure I'm on the same page...the 7E transmits at 100-150mW with stock firmware standalone or with stock firmware and the 8s module?
The second.
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:49 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,879 Posts
Quote:
Without any module mod your stuck at 7mw with official and deviation firmware.
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk