HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:12 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
It's the same model...the same QRLB. I wanted to also set it up as a second model, different name, different fixed ID & different settings. When I tried to bind it as a second model without a fixed ID it wouldn't bind. My questions are these...is that because it has a fixed ID already as the first model? Can the same aircraft be in the the Tx as two different models with two different fixed ID's? My guess is that it can't. I think it can be in as 2 or 3 or 10 different models so long as none of them have a fixed ID.
The point of FixedID is that you don't bind your 600 heli with the settings of your 450 size quad rotor and trash it/injure someone.
I've not tried it on Devo really because I've been using my 10, 8 & 7e to fly the same things but I am gradually moving to 100% Devo 10 usage and running everything non-Devo from the 8 with Deviation... side track...

What you can do, is set the same fixed I'd code for all your QRLB model memories since basically the controls are identical (reverse channel settings etc). I've not actually tried it on Devo but it used to work for WK2801Pro.

I had one model for setup (0,50,50,50,100) pitch curve and throttle curves of 0, 0 and 10% for NORM, ST1 and ST2 respectively. The other was set with my flight settings.
I don't see why they'd stop doing that on Devo.

Why do actually want the same model on the same TX with 2 FixedIDs? It is impossible anyway. The RX can only deal with 1 fixed ID at a time and for now I don't see any benefit to be gained.

I'll try to check if 2 model slots can have the same ID, but I guess it works just fine.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:43 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
PhracturedBlue has done it again.

"Seems there is some workleft to do be we are getting closer to a working deviation for 7e .
I know this is a great thing but being a newb I don't know or understand the specifics of what this means to my usage of the 7E...would you mind just a bit of elaboration / explanation? And thanks in advance.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Why do actually want the same model on the same TX with 2 FixedIDs? It is impossible anyway. The RX can only deal with 1 fixed ID at a time and for now I don't see any benefit to be gained.
A bit of context...this 7E is my first and so far only programable Tx so I'm still just trying to figure out what I can & cannot do. The only benefit to having two fixed ID's on the same Rx in the same Tx would be bind speed...again just curious if it could be done but certainly not needed.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:42 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
A bit of context...this 7E is my first and so far only programable Tx so I'm still just trying to figure out what I can & cannot do. The only benefit to having two fixed ID's on the same Rx in the same Tx would be bind speed...again just curious if it could be done but certainly not needed.
Ok I still don't understand why you don't have your two model memories using the same fixed ID... the result is the same even if the RX has one or two Fixed IDs, no?
And I'm certain you can make 2 models on one TX use the same Fixed ID ['cos I just tested it]. Two TX with the same Fixed ID doesn't work either (though really it would be stupid if it did).

What's your actual goal? To have 2 model memories for your LB but one indoor and one outdoor (or something similar) and to use FixedID for both.

This you can do.

Just set the second profile to use the same FixedID as the first in the TX (enter Fixed ID setting, turn it ON, edit the number - it'll be the same as before if you didn't turn the TX off but you have to edit it, press ENT to confirm and wait for it to do it's thing, turn the TX off and on to confirm).
Last edited by thwaitm; Jan 14, 2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:59 AM
Joined Oct 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
I know this is a great thing but being a newb I don't know or understand the specifics of what this means to my usage of the 7E...would you mind just a bit of elaboration / explanation? And thanks in advance.
Probably the biggest advantage of running Deviation on a 7e, or any Devo that is supported, is the ability to use multiple protocols. Which means that you can use one transmitter to fly models from Walkera, Blade, Nine Eagles, WLToys, etc. instead of needing separate transmitters for each brand. It also allows you to use smaller, lighter, and cheaper DSM compatible receivers instead of heavier and more expensive Devo receivers.

Deviation is also much more flexible as far as programming for models is concerned. And model configurations are compatible between all of the different transmitters supported and can be copied between them.

Having all of that power and flexibility on a TX as inexpensive as a 7e is going to be pretty amazing. It might eventually also allow for a bit of easy hardware hacking to, for example, add extra switches to the 7e and have them work.
Byrdwyngs is offline Find More Posts by Byrdwyngs
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:10 AM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
What's your actual goal? To have 2 model memories for your LB but one indoor and one outdoor (or something similar) and to use FixedID for both.

This you can do.

Just set the second profile to use the same FixedID as the first in the TX (enter Fixed ID setting, turn it ON, edit the number - it'll be the same as before if you didn't turn the TX off but you have to edit it, press ENT to confirm and wait for it to do it's thing, turn the TX off and on to confirm).
Thanks this is indeed what I was after, I just didn't know it would have to be the same fixed ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdwyngs View Post
Probably the biggest advantage of running Deviation on a 7e, or any Devo that is supported, is the ability to use multiple protocols. Which means that you can use one transmitter to fly models from Walkera, Blade, Nine Eagles, WLToys, etc. instead of needing separate transmitters for each brand. It also allows you to use smaller, lighter, and cheaper DSM compatible receivers instead of heavier and more expensive Devo receivers.

Deviation is also much more flexible as far as programming for models is concerned. And model configurations are compatible between all of the different transmitters supported and can be copied between them.

Having all of that power and flexibility on a TX as inexpensive as a 7e is going to be pretty amazing. It might eventually also allow for a bit of easy hardware hacking to, for example, add extra switches to the 7e and have them work.
Sounds too good to be true and almost like magic...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:46 AM
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdwyngs View Post
Probably the biggest advantage of running Deviation on a 7e, or any Devo that is supported, is the ability to use multiple protocols.
Deviation currently supports 7e or it may happen in the future ? I'm asking because I've ordered a SuperCP + Devo 7e bundle.
lalelilo is offline Find More Posts by lalelilo
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:59 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
3,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalelilo View Post
Deviation currently supports 7e or it may happen in the future ? I'm asking because I've ordered a SuperCP + Devo 7e bundle.
Alpha version of it imminent. Do note it wont have the full user interface and mixers of a devo 8/10 deviation due to the ram beeing to small in the 7e.
It will however have full protocoll support and loading of modules from ini files.

"Now I just need to get eveything cleaned up and we should be ready for an Alpha release" - PhracturedBlue 13 hours 9 minutes ago
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:11 AM
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
Alpha version of it imminent. Do note it wont have the full user interface and mixers of a devo 8/10 deviation due to the ram beeing to small in the 7e.
It will however have full protocoll support and loading of modules from ini files.

"Now I just need to get eveything cleaned up and we should be ready for an Alpha release" - PhracturedBlue 13 hours 9 minutes ago
Kewl. Thanks Xermalk.
lalelilo is offline Find More Posts by lalelilo
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:35 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
But be very aware that once you go to DeviationTX on your 7e there is currently no way back.
It shouldn't put you off since the interface is similar (as far as I can tell from the info so far on the 10) but there is no firmware available from Walkera for the 7e.
If its your only Devo TX then I might be inclined to wait until SP1 is released, rather than hop straight on the train you can't get off. Unless you have another bird to fly then maybe think twice before doing it just because you can!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:36 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Thanks this is indeed what I was after, I just didn't know it would have to be the same fixed ID.
I guessed it was
Give it a go and let us know if it works out.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:44 AM
Joined Oct 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Sounds too good to be true and almost like magic...
Well in all fairness there are some negative aspects too. Of course you can forget about any support or waranty from Walkera after replacing the original firmware. And with all of the power and flexibility comes a certain amount of complexity. Deviation works differently than most TX firmware and it's not exactly 'user friendly', so some people are having trouble figuring out how to make things work properly.

There's nothing magical about it, PB, SUVSUV, FDR and the rest of the Deviation team have put a ton of work into getting it where it is. They've been able to do some things that nobody else has ever done before simply because nobody has ever tried. Most of the coolest parts of Deviation wouldn't make sense in a comercial environment, that's the great thing about open source software.
Byrdwyngs is offline Find More Posts by Byrdwyngs
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
I guessed it was
Give it a go and let us know if it works out.
Yep it worked like a charm, very nice to have different iterations of the same aircraft almost instantly at the fingertips, makes on the spot comparisons very fast & easy to do. Interesting though there's no mention of this in the manual.

Thanks again
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:55 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
3,018 Posts
An its here, after 3 weeks of hard work from PB, our supreme deviation overlord.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "PhracturedBlue"
Ok. I've released the 1st Devo7e build here:
"http://www.deviationtx.com/forum/builds/1312-deviation-2-1-21db796ae43d-devo7e-support"
It is only lightly tested, so if you aren't willing to have your Tx broken for a couple days, I don't necessarily recommend it.
It has been tested with all CYRF based protocols (see above) and found to work ok.
If anyone is willing to take the risk, I will attempt to provide quick resolution to issues that are found.
Edit: Seems the 7E can go as high as 150 mw transmit power with deviation.
No more flying out of range with the master cp
Quote:
Originally Posted by "PhracturedBlue"
If it has a T212, then yes it should be able to do 100-150mW with Deviation.
Seems the Devo 7E is only a 7 mW Transmitter, Walkera has added i diode that restricts maximum transmit power.

"Well, bad news I think. I removed the shield from the CYRF board, and took a look. There appears to be a diode between the transceiver chip and the power-amp on pin SWPA. I don't believe this diode is there on the other Devo modules. This results in the PASW having a voltage of 2.5V, whereas the threshold is documented as being 2.8V. The documentation is very slim, but it appears this may be a way of reducing the gain of the RDAT212. Additionally, I think the Devo7e runs the CYRF at max power all the time. This would correlate with having reduced gain on the power-amp.

So it looks like the power needs to be set at 100mW or 150mW in Deviation in order to match the Devo7e's default range (which is probably actually only 10mW). I'm not set up to measure the actual output gain of the system, so the only way to verify for sure is to do a range test. It is still possible I'm missing something, but I've confirmed that the power-amp and transceiver do seem to be configured correctly.

You could probably short-out the diode to get full gain back, but it requires pulling the shield off which requires a really beefy soldering iron, and then some delicate soldering to short the pins" - PhracturedBlue
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Last edited by Xermalk; Jan 21, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:41 AM
Italy
Joined Nov 2011
421 Posts
Can the stick of Devo 7E be hardened?
There is a pdf manual of Devo 7E?
Thanks.
matrixFLYER is online now Find More Posts by matrixFLYER