Closed Thread
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:52 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Discussion
Landing a tail dragger?

Hey guys. Im getting VERY close to the point where i am ready for my parkzone P47, but the problem i see is its a taildragger and i have no clue how to land a "large" taildragger. Ive landed micro tail draggers, but not "large" ones. So how do i land a taildragger on a grass runway?
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:29 PM
Go Ducks
United States, OR, Milwaukie
Joined Feb 2012
136 Posts
Hopefully this will be helpful. Link
RexSe7en is offline Find More Posts by RexSe7en
Last edited by RexSe7en; Jul 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexSe7en View Post
Hopefully this will be helpful. Link
Thanks. One question...what is a stick/yoke in RC terms? Im assuming that is a full scale term?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:24 AM
Go Ducks
United States, OR, Milwaukie
Joined Feb 2012
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Thanks. One question...what is a stick/yoke in RC terms? Im assuming that is a full scale term?
Yup, the stick/yoke is what controls the elevator in a full scale plane. So think of it as pulling back on the stick of your transmitter in the r/c world.

I'm obsessed with taildraggers, but they can be a tricky beast. It seems like one day I will go out and grease all of my landings, and then the next trip I'm happy if it doesn't nose over. Some of this has to do with weather and landing strip conditions, but a good majority is definitely on me
RexSe7en is offline Find More Posts by RexSe7en
Last edited by RexSe7en; Jul 17, 2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:02 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
landing is the easy part it lands like a trike you just hold the flare all the way to the ground
take off is the tricky part you have ease on the throttle to keep from ground looping

video of my Edge
Edge 540 9/9/11 (6 min 40 sec)

just keep the nose level or slightly down till you get to the runway and then ease off the power and slowly pull back to keep the nose up
the plane will settle down on its own
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:57 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexSe7en View Post
Yup, the stick/yoke is what controls the elevator in a full scale plane. So think of it as pulling back on the stick of your transmitter in the r/c world.
They also control the ailerons; left and right on the stick controls ailerons, forward and back controls the elevator... so it's essentially the same as the right stick on a mode 2 transmitter. A yolk is basically a steering wheel and a stick is just a stick, like you'd mostly find on early planes and military aircraft. The yolk is being phased out (and mostly appears in small general aviation planes) as more and more planes come with "fly by wire" side sticks which can be programmed to feel however you want them to while flying with moderate to almost no physical pressure needed to control the plane as servos and other hydraulic systems actuate the surfaces.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Okay thanks guys! By the way, what is ground looping?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,099 Posts
Ailerons lose effectiveness during slow part of landing, use rudder to level wings. Slow to 1/2 throttle, trim for level fliight, reduce throttle and let model settle to runway.Do not try to flare a warbird until you really know it's stalling tendencies. Real fighters normally land with some speed, on the main wheels, reduce throttle until tail wheel touches down, then raise elevator to keep tail on the ground/prevent nose overs, as you slow to a stop. Don't force model down to runway with down elevator, it'll bounce one or twice and fall out of the air.

You didn't ask, but for takeoffs, hold up elevator to keep tail down until speed increases , then release elevator to let tail rise, control yaw to the left with well timed gentle nudges of right rudder, as speed increases. Let model lift off at 3/4 throttle with little or no up elevator, keep climb gradual to avoid stalling, trim for level flight at comfortable cruising speed, retrim for full throttle, retrim to return to cruise speed or to prepare to land.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jul 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Thanks for the info E-Challenged!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Okay thanks guys! By the way, what is ground looping?
spinning in a circle. In car terms you spun out or did a donut...
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Oh okay thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:13 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,327 Posts
I find taking off to be more of a challenge than landing. That said some tail draggers are easier than others on the take off roll.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:27 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,995 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys. Im getting VERY close to the point where i am ready for my parkzone P47, but the problem i see is its a taildragger and i have no clue how to land a "large" taildragger. Ive landed micro tail draggers, but not "large" ones. So how do i land a taildragger on a grass runway?
I thought warbirds 'sickened' you?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22001037

Quote:
I just absolutely hate warbirds whether it be they killed the nazis or whoever...just sickens me. Theres something about those over powered propeller death machines that i hate....absolutely hate. I only have 2 warbirds and won't be buying any more.
So you bought a 3rd warbird then?
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
I thought warbirds 'sickened' you?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22001037

So you bought a 3rd warbird then?
Nope. The two warbirds i have are the parkzone P47 and Micro T-28....as you can clearly see from the link below. And yeah they sicken me, but since i have it i might as well fly it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1693312
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:15 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,995 Posts
Quote:
Nope. The two warbirds i have are the parkzone P47 and Micro T-28....as you can clearly see from the link below. And yeah they sicken me, but since i have it i might as well fly it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1693312
But you said
Quote:
.i guess its just that military aircraft (except the P51 and EDF really don't interest me at all...theres just something about them that sickens me.
So, whatever.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Closed Thread