HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:32 PM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,401 Posts
Discussion
Family can't get squatters out of home

I can't believe this adverse possession thing. You buy a house, go work in another state for awhile, come back and find another family paid for a false deed and now claims ownership. Even though you have the true deed and made the payments.

http://realestate.msn.com/blogs/list...0-7b5b05b3c2be
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:14 AM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,087 Posts
why all the pussyfooting around with the courts? if that was my house the squatters would have been physically removed on the spot, with extreme force if needed. want to sue me? the world is full of underworld types that will bust kneecaps for a few hundred bucks.
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:27 AM
Disgruntled Member
United States, OK, Anadarko
Joined Aug 2003
1,628 Posts
If it was my house I'd send the Pizza delivery guy, He would make his delivery and tell them he will be back... No one wants to see him twice.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:37 PM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
What a situation to find youself in. Especially if they possess any form of quasi legal paperwork. Actual rights of the individual are declining in general.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:19 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I agree with ZAGNUT. In that kind of situation, it might just be better to forcibly remove the occupants yourself, and let the courts decide who gets to stay. As the homeowner, you have that right, and any injunction the squatter could file would be shot down as soon as they presented the fake title deed.

A question which should be relevant, but I don't see it listed in the article, is who has been paying the taxes. The Sheriff will typically side with who can prove they are paying the taxes.
thunder1 is online now Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:26 PM
RC Newb/Gorilla Glue User
United States, OH
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Castle Doctrine. Problem solved.
WingNut64 is online now Find More Posts by WingNut64
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:32 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingNut64 View Post
Castle Doctrine. Problem solved.
The problem with claiming that is the squatters occupy the castle. They could probably more convincingly claim self-defense of their domicile, as they have been living there for months.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:45 PM
United States, OH
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1 View Post
The problem with claiming that is the squatters occupy the castle. They could probably more convincingly claim self-defense of their domicile, as they have been living there for months.
Not once I'm inside. And after the mess is cleaned up, and the paperwork sorted out, the only indictments would go to whoever sold them the false title deed.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:49 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Not once I'm inside. And after the mess is cleaned up, and the paperwork sorted out, the only indictments would go to whoever sold them the false title deed.
My point was, what if the squatter are quicker on the draw than you, and you wind up dead? They claim self-defense and get off scott free. Possession is 9/10ths of the law.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:51 PM
United States, OH
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
My point was, what if they draw on you first, and are quicker to the draw?
That's a chance that is taken, I suppose. But it's obvious that using the almighty government is less-than-effective.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:57 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
That's a chance that is taken, I suppose. But it's obvious that using the almighty government is less-than-effective.
I wouldn't say that the government is less than effective. But the government does work slowly, for good reason.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:08 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
733 Posts
Similar case in Texas involving a Manitoba couple. The squatters sold all their stuff as well, and afaik the legitimate owners were never compensated for their losses.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-manitoba.html
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:13 PM
United States, OH
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't say that the government is less than effective. But the government does work slowly, for good reason.
There is no "good reason" for moving slowly.

I prove ownership, supported by neighbor testimony, along with utility bills, tax forms, etc. They drag the squatters out in cuffs, immediately. If there are kids involved; off to foster care.

Why protect obvious proven criminals?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:18 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
There is no "good reason" for moving slowly.

I prove ownership, supported by neighbor testimony, along with utility bills, tax forms, etc. They drag the squatters out in cuffs, immediately. If there are kids involved; off to foster care.

Why protect obvious proven criminals?
The squatters in this case appear to be victims themselves, not criminals.

There are many very good reasons for moving slowly. Not the least is the protection of the children in this case.They aren't squatters in the traditional sense. The family believed they owned the home legitimately.

In fact, there have been so many of these types of deed wars that most mortgages require title insurance just in case. Imagine if someone appeared with a 50 year old legitimate title, and the government forcibly kicked you out of your home immediately. Then it turned out the deed was not actually legitimate. It has happened many times over, and will happen many more times. Fast, not so good in these cases.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Jun 2010
288 Posts
If you own property you have to maintain constant vigilance. Lots of horror story's like this for landlords. Renters get very smart real quick.as the laws favor them and they have no assets.

Brand new landlords have to pay their dues also. The landlord is always a bad guy and gets no sympathy.

3 stories 1- A friend bought a new house and decided to rent the old one . Didn't do a good credit check etc etc. A family of ,get this, 16 people moved in. Ripped the place up, never paid a dime in rent,sued the landlord for renting a hazardous house etc etc. Took 18 months in Ca to get them out. Zero assets so he got nothing in damages.

2- A retired Fireman friend bought two industrial buildings in City of Industry for rentals. Firemen in Ca are VERY well paid folks. The Renters used the building to store toxic waste collected from their business. Took about 6 months to fill them both up. Never paid the last 3 months rent. Disappeared with no trace.

The Fireman is personally responsible for clean up and in CA it is super expensive. Looks like about $250,000. End of life as he knew it.

Now my problem. We share a common well with a neighbor who moved in two years ago. The Well is on my property and I'm responsible for upkeep. According to the deeds I'm to charge for owning the well and split maintenance and electric costs. Neighbor says hes not paying. Water rights are very tricky and to get this taken care I'm looking about a $10,000 lawyer bill. You can't get comp for lawyer bills and I'm dead while they get a free ride. I figure it costs me about $1500 a year for their free water.

That's life in the USA. My youngest is a lawyer and the only option is to spend the $10K. he tells me. Never ever own property with a well in common. My lawyer in this case did a miserable job on the Deeds. Who do you trust?
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1