HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:00 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,615 Posts
Discussion
Microsoft Unveils Touch-Based Version of Office

Here's something that will probably result in another debate for you folks between PC vs Mac.

Its interesting to see Ballmer take this approach but I seriously doubt the efficiencies of doing spreadsheets on a tablet will be high.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/17/te...of-office.html
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:21 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
I have to say that ALL these tech companies are rushing way too headlong into 'touch.'

Honestly, it's NOT the best user interface for all situations. It's MUCH more efficient to use a mouse and keyboard sized for human hands from a resting position, than it is to be constantly messing with a touchscreen in front of you.

For desktops, touch is useless AND pointless. Add to that, that you end up with a nasty/smudgy screen. My friend has one of those HP touch all in one desktops, the screen gets NASTY.

Where touch makes sense is in small / portable form factors and that's where it should stay. I'm pissed Windows 8 is based almost entirely on a 'touch' based UI (Metro.)
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:12 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief View Post
I have to say that ALL these tech companies are rushing way too headlong into 'touch.'

Honestly, it's NOT the best user interface for all situations. It's MUCH more efficient to use a mouse and keyboard sized for human hands from a resting position, than it is to be constantly messing with a touchscreen in front of you.

For desktops, touch is useless AND pointless. Add to that, that you end up with a nasty/smudgy screen. My friend has one of those HP touch all in one desktops, the screen gets NASTY.

Where touch makes sense is in small / portable form factors and that's where it should stay. I'm pissed Windows 8 is based almost entirely on a 'touch' based UI (Metro.)
All good points. Remember it is better to be pissed off than pissed on.

Years ago after the Apple GUI interface came out the University of Chicago did some research on the accuracy of theses done on DOS and the Apple Lisa. I don't think anyone was surprise to find out there were fewer errors on the theses created in DOS. Might be interesting and might not.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:06 AM
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
Joined Aug 2007
1,198 Posts
In all fairness, I use a word processor and a spreadsheet on my tablet. I'm running ICS, so I can just plug in a mouse for a mouse pointer and have a small tablet bluetooth KB. It's vastly more portable than my laptop and I can still use the tablet no problem without the KB/mouse (as I do most of the time).

I for one would actually like a good, competent word processor on my tablet. There are several places where it's advantageous over a laptop.
kalnaren is offline Find More Posts by kalnaren