HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by AirborneRME, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:38 AM
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Jul 2012
69 Posts
Warthog News!

Planning is pretty much complete, starting to organize all the data, procure parts and tools, and getting ready to really dive in!

Hoping to soon have my laser cut foam parts and begin fiber glassing and making molds!

Stay tuned

I also plan on getting some flying in later today with the foam cargo I scratch built!
AirborneRME is offline Find More Posts by AirborneRME
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:33 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
801 Posts
Great thread you've started and I wish you success on your A-10 build. I'm a huge fan of the A-10 Warthog and would love to be able to afford a twin turbine RC model of this great plane. I created an 80" electric pusher A-10 a few years ago and really enjoyed the experience of that project and I also learned alot about scratch building. Here is link below if it helps your build any. Most important thing to remember is to have fun.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537700
moxjett is offline Find More Posts by moxjett
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:05 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,939 Posts
Ummmmm.....RME, that is no trainer you've built. With no dihedral it isn't self-stabilizing at all. Have you done a hand launch test glide over long grass to see if trim is anywhere close to flying trim? It looks like a plane but could be a rock. Even I can't fly a rock.

OK, from the video, it looks like you have some critical weaknesses at both wing/fuselage joints. There was lots of flex there that should not happen. The plane did exactly what a roll-unstable plane will do. It rolled and you weren't ready for it. With that flex, you probably couldn't stop it no matter what. Controllable airframes must be mondo rigid.

Needs a total redesign for at least 50% longer wings, more stability via wing dihedral, much longer fuselage because she's beastly short-coupled, vertical stab looks about the right size, can't tell about the rudder, but that horizontal stab is WAY too small and the elevator might as well not exist.

Like I say. Looks like a plane. More likely it's a rock. You need to learn to fly with something YOU KNOW will fly because somebody else designed and engineered the thing. All the sim time in the world can't prepare you to fly a rock.

Once you have some first-hand experience with several planes that will fly, you can have a feel for what works and what doesn't. Not having flown, you really can't see the difference between a rock and an airframe.

I'm quite sure no pilot could have flown your trainer much better than you did. If you must build, please build something from plans engineered and designed by someone who is good at it. Learn from THEIR examples, both good and bad (you'll see lots of things not to copy in well-designed planes). THEN after you have four or six planes under your belt you'll be ready to reconsider that cargo plane. In the meantime a Hobby Zone Champ would be a blast and would teach you to fly. Success is the best motivator for a long-term project like you have set for yourself.

Maybe some cheap and dirty free flight planes would help. They can be built quickly, torn apart and rebuilt, no risk to radio equipment, lotsa advantages and you could get four or six airframes under your belt in a hurry. Get yourself some Frank Zaic yearbooks. If you don't know who he was, you really need to check it out. Everything we do flows from his work in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. Find out what flies and why.

Looks like you're trying to INVENT radio control modeling. That is a process that takes a hundred planes, full time over ten years and an intense tolerance of failure. In the meantime, everyone else who started at the same time as you is an expert at flying and having fun flying for hours every week before you have a single successful flight under your belt.

Learn from other people's success and failure! That's what humanity is for. Even on the A-10, are you working from model plans or full-sized airplane plans? Hey, Google up Killer Chick and check out her slightly used A-10! It's air conditioned. She flew it home with NO HYDRAULICS! Wouldn't want her mad at me, that's for sure. But I'm glad someone as tough as the airplane is flying 'em!
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Aug 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:21 PM
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Jul 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Ummmmm.....RME, that is no trainer you've built. With no dihedral it isn't self-stabilizing at all. Have you done a hand launch test glide over long grass to see if trim is anywhere close to flying trim? It looks like a plane but could be a rock. Even I can't fly a rock.

OK, from the video, it looks like you have some critical weaknesses at both wing/fuselage joints. There was lots of flex there that should not happen. The plane did exactly what a roll-unstable plane will do. It rolled and you weren't ready for it. With that flex, you probably couldn't stop it no matter what. Controllable airframes must be mondo rigid.

Needs a total redesign for at least 50% longer wings, more stability via wing dihedral, much longer fuselage because she's beastly short-coupled, vertical stab looks about the right size, can't tell about the rudder, but that horizontal stab is WAY too small and the elevator might as well not exist.

Like I say. Looks like a plane. More likely it's a rock. You need to learn to fly with something YOU KNOW will fly because somebody else designed and engineered the thing. All the sim time in the world can't prepare you to fly a rock.

Once you have some first-hand experience with several planes that will fly, you can have a feel for what works and what doesn't. Not having flown, you really can't see the difference between a rock and an airframe.

I'm quite sure no pilot could have flown your trainer much better than you did. If you must build, please build something from plans engineered and designed by someone who is good at it. Learn from THEIR examples, both good and bad (you'll see lots of things not to copy in well-designed planes). THEN after you have four or six planes under your belt you'll be ready to reconsider that cargo plane. In the meantime a Hobby Zone Champ would be a blast and would teach you to fly. Success is the best motivator for a long-term project like you have set for yourself.

Maybe some cheap and dirty free flight planes would help. They can be built quickly, torn apart and rebuilt, no risk to radio equipment, lotsa advantages and you could get four or six airframes under your belt in a hurry. Get yourself some Frank Zaic yearbooks. If you don't know who he was, you really need to check it out. Everything we do flows from his work in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. Find out what flies and why.

Looks like you're trying to INVENT radio control modeling. That is a process that takes a hundred planes, full time over ten years and an intense tolerance of failure. In the meantime, everyone else who started at the same time as you is an expert at flying and having fun flying for hours every week before you have a single successful flight under your belt.

Learn from other people's success and failure! That's what humanity is for. Even on the A-10, are you working from model plans or full-sized airplane plans? Hey, Google up Killer Chick and check out her slightly used A-10! It's air conditioned. She flew it home with NO HYDRAULICS! Wouldn't want her mad at me, that's for sure. But I'm glad someone as tough as the airplane is flying 'em!
"Nuts" - Lt. Gen. Harry W.O. Kinnard

Building is fun, buying a trainer and flying it takes all of the fun out of learning a plane from the inside out, what works where and why, etc etc. I'm already 50% finished with my second scratchbuild, learned a lot from my last build as well as a lot of suggestions from veteran fixed wing rc pilots. I'll admit after a few more crashed planes I may give in a just buy a trainer piper cub, but until then I will build on with both my scratchbuilt foamies as well as the A-10. As I said its just fun to build, and fun to learn.

As far as the A-10 I started working with a 1:100 scale model but have recently moved to full sized plans, they are in the process of being put into a CAD program for laser cutting. I'm horrible at math though, luckily my lady graduated top of her class with a math degree fr teaching and absolutely loves the stuff!

Anyways stay tuned for more A-10 news and a new video (hopefully of a successful flight) of my most recent scratch build!

Happy flying to ya
AirborneRME is offline Find More Posts by AirborneRME
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:53 PM
United States, IL, Northbrook
Joined Sep 2011
524 Posts
any updates?
Dirty Dee is offline Find More Posts by Dirty Dee