HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by AirborneRME, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:54 PM
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Jul 2012
69 Posts
Haha, no no, I wont be building this to fly it for the first time, I am expecting this build to last over a year and a half atleast. This is a long term project just to have as a hobby. I do plan on training on a Cessna or Cub for starters and working towards a larger scale EDF A-10. I wouldn't dare attempt to fly this Jet until I have the confidence within myself as well as the confidence of some other experienced flyers. The time length of the build should give me plenty of time to work on my flying skills with the addition of some more practice after the build is complete.
AirborneRME is offline Find More Posts by AirborneRME
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:57 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,821 Posts
Subbed...
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Reality Check
People actually think that you're going to built the jet first and fly it before learning to park-fly the basics. Come on folks; let reality sink in... plenty of electric fun-flys and crashes await; clearly this is an ambitious-build -- but that is it -- a build; let him build it.

More photos/videos of the Miracles of Flight....as the learning-curves are explored will be forthcoming...(mine as well)

All this from someone that hasn't bought the scratch-build materials yet (me); I do need to that this Tuesday.

Build on, RME.
Kabuki986 is offline Find More Posts by Kabuki986
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Jul 2012
69 Posts
Thanks for the Sub man!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:23 AM
Joined Jul 2012
69 Posts
Cheer up everyone!

Sorry its been a few days since I posted some progress. I promise I'm still working on getting all the bulkheads drawn up and pricing foam so I can move towards getting the mold of my fuselage...BUT LOOK WHAT I HAVE BEEN BUILDING IN THE MEANTIME! Yes thats right a "Twins" Cargo! Pretty much just following other builds and adding my own touch to it. I will get some training on this, I already have half of the things I need if I strip one of my RC helis of its servo's batt, etc etc. Take a look below...

I'll most likely post a video of its maiden flight! Keep checking in for updates! Happy flying
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Jul 2012
69 Posts
Gettin some ideas for paint already!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Jul 2012
69 Posts
A-10 Bulkheads almost done/Trainer almost done

Working to complete my Bulkheads for the A-10 Build. I'm ready to get to the hands on part of this build. All this math and drawing on graph paper is getting old! Going to the depot this week and I'll prob buy a few pieces of blue foam and start cutting a few of these bulkheads out so I can start to see this thing come together as well as get some more pics up for everyone to see!

Also, The trainer is almost done..dubbed the RME FC-1 (RME Foam Cargo 1). I just put a coat of Cammo green paint on the fuselage and am awaiting my two motors, esc's, servos, and props! Take a look.
Last edited by AirborneRME; Jul 29, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:58 AM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
765 Posts
I reckon a paintball gun mounted in the nose would be pretty cool.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined Jul 2012
69 Posts
Haha yes I've been looking at some options for shooting a few things from this bird. I have found a few small fully auto plastic airsoft guns I could re wire to be fired with a servo and wire. I only ordered two outboard motors so I dont know if just those two motors would produce enough power to lift a paintball gun. I've got my camera mount near the nose of the plane though so I may have to do it like the AC-130 gunships and mount it out the side of the plane.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:53 AM
Joined Jul 2012
69 Posts
UPDATE Scratch built foam trainer

All electronics are ordered and I have began to put the "guts" inside of the plan. Pics pretty much explain it all. Take a look.

A-10 UPDATE: I have an appointment with a local shop that does CNC for a nice price. I have talked to them and they are able to form my fuselage for me out of one piece of foam!!! I will have some CAD work done by a buddy from school for free and should START FIBER GLASSING BY NEXT WEEK! Excited to get started. Check back for a few new things in the weeks to come that will include:

RME FC-1 foam cargo maiden flight!

A-10 Fuselage fiber glassing!
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:42 AM
Joined Jul 2012
69 Posts
http://youtu.be/4WAK4goqkXg

Testing out the control surfaces!

RC Foam Cargo Plane (maiden flight and crash) (0 min 45 sec)

Sooo I crashed it on my first flight! THE GOOD NEWS IS...I have since repaired the bird, adding extra strength to the wings, vertical staiblilezer, and the nose. Its currently raining but I'm hoping I can give it another go later today. Stay tuned! Also if you have any tips let me know!
Last edited by AirborneRME; Aug 09, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Jul 2012
69 Posts
Update!!!: HOBBY KING PROTOTYPE TURBINE!!!/Fuselage CNC

HobbyKing Turbine (4 min 33 sec)

What!? Hobby King will be putting out a turbine! Interesting, I'm wondering if their pricing will be competitive with Jetcat USA!? Kind of excited, may make my project a little cheaper.

Also! Have scheduled an appointment with the local shop that is doing my CNC! Excited to have my fuselage shaped out for my molds! Hoping to have some more pics of that project for you soon! STAY TUNED!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:26 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
765 Posts
Tough luck on the maiden crash. Hobby king turbine sounds exciting!
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Jul 2012
69 Posts
Its all fixed up now and ready to go! Made some adjustments and some improvements. I'm excited to fly it again! Of course it rains for the past few days right after I fixed it. Hopefully tomorrow it will clear up and I can try again.

Yes I'm excited to see what kind of price hobby king will put on the turbine! If they offer them in the right size I may get those instead of Jet cats.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Jul 2012
69 Posts
Trainer Rebuild/Warthog Update:

WARTHOG: Cad is now in the works and an appointment to get the fuselage CNC has been scheduled! Stay tuned for more warthog news!

Training news:

I have repaired the scratchbuilt trainer that I recently crashed on the maiden flight! Check out the vids and pics! Feedback is appreciated! Thanks guys! And be patient and stay tuned! I promise this Warthog will start coming together soon!

FC 1 Rebuild (2 min 36 sec)