HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:21 AM
United States, PA, Perry
Joined Apr 2002
492 Posts
Ray, 10 X 6, or 10 X 7 would be much better. The eflite 480 is the motor that comes stock on the Radians, use the same props you would use for the Radian. PS I have a spare 480 and esc in my tool box. I use a Rimfire 10 on my 2m Lil Bird. Good power. Bill
Hawksnest is offline Find More Posts by Hawksnest
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:05 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Hayes View Post
Question: Over-Propped ... for the motor/battery sizes ???

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
WWW.skybench.com
Ray,

I think Ed (Aeajr) did an excellent job of laying it out. It's always been one of those gray areas for me.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:38 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,516 Posts
Typically, if the MFG gives you prop recommendations for your motor, just follow them.

On the 480 Ray listed, 10X7 is the recommended prop for 3S. So 11X6, 11X7 or 10X8 for a 30 second run with a long cooling period might be tollerated by the motor. No gurantee, but if the recommended props don't get it done, and you are not using a calculator, this would be my recommendation. But I would not go running with those larger props for 2 minutes at full throttle.

Also, plan for at least 130 watts/pound for ALES. So Ray's 28 ounce all up glider would need about 230 watts to meet that minimum. 250 to 270 provides plenty of margin and will likely give you the option to climb at a more shallow climb angle to run up wind some before hitting 200 meters, if you wish.

ALES does not eliminate the benefit of having extra power, it just removes the requirement for gobs of extra power that LMR rewards.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:37 AM
Miamisburg OH
Joined Dec 2003
494 Posts
Ray

Use a watt meter! Use the info from the calculators and the manufacturer to get something in the safe ballpark and then measure it to see where you really are, and make adjustements from there. Not all props are the same, but I have a 12x6 folder from Maxx Prod that doesn't get over 20A on the stock Radian motor with a 40C 3s pack. If I recall correctly, you have your motor mounted ahead of the firewall and you will have good cooling, so you may be able to push a little more current than recommended. But as Ed said, you may not need to push it to have it work for ALES.
John Lueke is online now Find More Posts by John Lueke
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:48 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,638 Posts
I really appreciate all the info and advice, thank you all very much, who knows ... maybe I can give Marc G some ALES competition at the Nats next year with an OLY lll, or Big Bird XL, or maybe my 14 year old Big Bird.

I definitely will order a Watt Meter.

I'll keep the 13-7 prop on My 2M lLil Bird, I love the speed and vertical climb. This weekend I'll time the launch to the 200M cutoff and check the equipment for excessive heat. Around here, the prop of choice for the Radian is 11 -7 or 8.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
WWW.Skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes