HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:55 PM
LSF V,LSF Secretary,AMA Lifer
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Holy crap those ALES guys fly some big planes. My Radian would have shriveled up and hid if I had stayed for ALES.
There were several Radians that competed in the ALES event. They did pretty well, I'd say that in the right hands a Radian would not have been a handicap. The winds stayed pretty low and lift could generally be reached other than a couple of early morning flight groups where lift was not yet to be had for anyone.
Robglover is offline Find More Posts by Robglover
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:23 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,974 Posts
Nats ALES is over and we're heading north to Michigan to do a little touring and then on to Jack's ALES Over Addison event next weekend. Four days of ALES flying in seven days!

The Nats were great. Absolutely fantastic soaring weather both days and although it was hot, it could have been a lot worse. Got to meet some guys that I only knew from here on RCG. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. I'm typing on an iPad while Lauren drives so I'll run down the top 10. Someone else can fill in the rest if they wish. So, after two days and 12 rounds, the top 10 were:

1. Marc Gellart 12503
2. Bob Burson 12351
3. Kerry Cochrell 12112
4. Dan Myers 11938
5. Jack Iafret 11839
6. Arthur Marklewicz 11447
7. Paul Perret 11098
8. Randy Brust 11014
9. Ed Franz 10963
10. Don Richmond 10825

Thanks to Rob Glover for taking on the ALES CD duties and to Ed Franz the electric ED.

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,591 Posts
+1 Randy! Ya, I won it, but I had a great time, with folks I have flown with for years and some very new friends. Bubba Rob ran a great contest and thanks to Kim and Lauren for scoring. Also, a major thanks to Bob Burson for some very good calls as Bob timed me in 10 of 12 rounds, and Paul Perrot got me in the other two, thanks to Paul as well.

There are all kinds of things that are the same as TD and there are a few that are really different. ALES has such a simplicity with no winches, no retrieving, no batteries and no winch line to fix. It almost kind of wierds me out to stand out there with nothing but landing tapes in the field. I almost felt like I was not doing my timing job when I went out the first few times with no chute to grab, maybe a throw to do, etc. By the end of the two days, I was getting pretty comfortable with all this simplicity.

I realize that some detractors just seem to want to knock ALES at any turn, but there are some real advantages to it and the airframes are out there that fly just as nice as their pure sailplane bretheren. The other side to that equaion is that so many much less expensive airframes are flying that allow newbies to fly the event as well. More folks flying TD events is good for TD, which ever launch method you use.

Hopefully will make Polecat next year, I hear that both flying and culinary arts in large supply.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:30 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,795 Posts
Congratulations to everyone and especially to Marc aka OVSS Boss!
You should bring that Tragi to Montana this year.

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:36 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,693 Posts
Way to go Mark!! You should give Ed Franz a big kiss...lolol

Thanks for a good time Rob, Ed and company!

Dan
Kaw1000 is online now Find More Posts by Kaw1000
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:01 PM
Mexico
Joined May 2004
234 Posts
Robert was ahead during the first day with a bent wing plane (AVA F) and Mark tipped the scales with a full house ship (Tragi 801) on the second day.

Given that both are first rate pilots, I'll be interesested to hear about the relative merits of their sailplanes platforms in the context of ALES.

All the best,

Luis
Luis Moya is offline Find More Posts by Luis Moya
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:01 AM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
748 Posts
I have to wonder

Way to go ALES entrants. I have to wonder how many more would have competed had ALES been closer to the other events they entered?
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:42 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,591 Posts
It was interesting Luis, Bob and I were so close for the entire contest, I am not sure which had the advantage. It was so nice weather wise, 80's, dry air, low winds (like almost calm at times), and the calls for air were usually pretty clear. So, we could make launches that were strategic and if need be when the first call did not work, we could cover some ground. I launched once on Tuesday that we went downwind, not really there. There was an upwind call but Bob said I could not make it there, "No problem Bob...", and I cruised upwind and made it easy.

When I decided I wanted to fly ALES, all I did was buy fuses that fit the wings I had. The Tragi fuse took a while to get, and when I picked up a used Supra (string launch sailplane) Barry had an e-fuse for it, so I got it just to hedge the bet on the Tragi. The Tragi fuse came in about two months later. They use the same motor, same speed control, same battery, I really like that too.

It took me a while to get landing zero'd in cause the slide has not been a part of landing for me for a long time. I just refuse to stick that front end in the ground too hard, but I do wish that a very small arrester would be allowed. Maybe 1/2" total length off the fuse and just a blunt edge, just something that keeps wet grass from making a 3' slide into a 10' slide.

Bottom line, I think you need to fly what you are use to. I really do not like RES ships and about all I fly are full house sailplanes, so the weapon of choice is pretty obvious.

Marc
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:46 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,591 Posts
Curtis, I would love to bring the Tragi out, if we were driving I might. But shipping is another thing and I refuse to carry these things on the airlines. So hey, maybe someone has a beater Radian and I could make that my stead for the day.

Marc
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:01 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
As I understand it this was an "unoffical" event this year. Does it go offical next year?

What does that mean exactly?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,591 Posts
It is not a rule book event, that is all Ed...

Lots of SIGs do this.

Marc
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:10 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,679 Posts
So is that 12,503 points out of a possible 12,600: 1,000 per round time points x 12 = 12,000; plus 50 landing points x 12 = 600?

Very nice flying!

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,591 Posts
Yes it was Kevin, a very good two days.

Thanks, Marc
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:03 PM
United States, PA, Carlisle
Joined Oct 2011
315 Posts
2012 Nats

Just got home from the Nats. Not a bad trip, roughly 500 miles one way. What a fantastic experience!! I placed 15th out of 21, but that's okay, it was more than worth the trip. I would personally like to thank all the guys who gave me some help and advice, especially Kerry, Denny, and Jack. I would also like to thank Randy and Lauren Brust and Ed and Kim Franz for their warm generosity and friendship.

I am pleased with my performance other than the boneheaded zero flight when I landed a few yards outside of the cones. That was on the first day and fortunately I didn't repeat it for the second. I also discovered leaving altitude at 6:30 or 6:45 would have been a better idea than 7:00. A 10:24 is not cool. My Oracle was flying well and I got a lot of positive comments about it's yellow and red covering being very visible against the blue sky. I didn't have any problems keeping it oriented, even when it was a very short yellow line with a red dot on each end!

I've been doing this soaring for only a little over a year, so I can't complain. I have done the Polecat twice now, once with a Radian and my Oracle this year. Lord willing, I will be returning to the Nats next year.

Oh, and let's not forget Lauren and Kim and all they do during the event!
dreisinger is offline Find More Posts by dreisinger
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:46 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,974 Posts
Dave,

It was great to have you at the Nats ALES this year. I've been to all 3 Nats ALES so far and they keep getting better and better. It's nice to have some of the big guns of soaring starting to join in to show us how it's really done.

Regarding the landing out, I know just how you feel. I had the same thing happen to me last year on my last flight knocking me from way up in the standings to way down.

Hope to fly with you again at the mini Polecat this fall. Keep on the old man to make sure we have it!

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust