HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:30 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,092 Posts
Question
Best flying warbird

Looking ahead to when I assemble an ARF warbird what would you say is the best/smoothest/most honest/on rails warbird?

I'm partial to the Corsair, a friend has a P-51 and says it's the nicest flying plane he has.

What say you?
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:27 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,444 Posts
There are about a thousand different factors which come into play when talking about "best" flying anything but, in a very general sense, the P-47 is often considered to be an ideal single engine fighter type warbird.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,385 Posts
I agree with Chad on this one. When I did my research for giant scale, everybody pointed me towards the P-47. Big wing area, wide landing gear. The guys flying them in the club love them.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:36 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2010
158 Posts
same here, I have an ESM P-47 with DLE30 flies almost like a trainer, very good to take off, great in the air, very stable, good power / speed, very nice to land.
Oldtimer
oldtimer47 is offline Find More Posts by oldtimer47
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,308 Posts
I agree, I have nothing but warbirds,P-51,spitfires me109,jugs etc, and of course my favorite P-40 warhawks. Ive flown just about every brand of jug out there .60 to Giant scale and can truly say the P-47 is the most docile.
helifann is offline Find More Posts by helifann
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:30 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,092 Posts
Sounds like the P-47 is leading the pack. Since I have a fondness for the Corsair if anyone has flown it and the P-47 could you give a flight comparison?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:03 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Bob View Post
Sounds like the P-47 is leading the pack. Since I have a fondness for the Corsair if anyone has flown it and the P-47 could you give a flight comparison?
I'm gathering the gear for the TF 61 size P-47 now. Good to hear everyone thinks they fly nice. This will be my first gasser, but I figured it would be a good one to go with.
I'm a big fan of the Corsair too. Basically taught myself to fly with the Parkzone Corsair. The only bigger one I have flown is the H9 50 size setup on electric and I can say it's also a very stable flyer. 65 crash free flights so far. can't say that about anything else I have. I know it can be run either electric or glo, but not sure about gas.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:50 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
606 Posts
The DLE 20 is an excellent fit for the TF .61-size P-47. The J-Tech compact inverted pitts muffler is a great fit as well. Balance should be spot-on with that package. I fly mine with a 16x8 prop.

Mix a little down elevator with the flaps at full deployment. Great flying plane!
Lifer is offline Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:07 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,141 Posts
I prefer the Focke Wulf 190D. The aircraft has the moments of a pattern plane, so it flies smoooooooooooooooothly.

Besides that, you won't see too manmy similar models, when you take her to the flying field.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:05 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
easy flying warbird

If you just want an easy to fly model that qualifies as a warbird you might consider an L-4 Cub like I did.. I'm flying a 110 inch Hempel L-4 and just love the way it flys and the looks.. Or an L-19..
Other wise what the others are saying. Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I prefer the Focke Wulf 190D. The aircraft has the moments of a pattern plane, so it flies smoooooooooooooooothly.

Besides that, you won't see too manmy similar models, when you take her to the flying field.
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:55 PM
Deadstick
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Nov 2004
77 Posts
I have owned both and flown both. I would take the P-47 over the Corsair for a first war bird. Better ground handeling. less landing gear trouble, both in the build and the operation, more colors to choose for the finish. Now I have had 3 corsairs, and don't get me wrong. I think its a great flying plane. But if I only have the 2 to choose from, for a first warbird, the P-47 wins. ANY warbird??? Fokker DVII
JeffEE is offline Find More Posts by JeffEE
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:14 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,950 Posts
Well I can add the Will Hobby Sea Fury to the list as of this weekend. This thing definitely flies on rails. But the ARF needed a ton of careful planning and building to get there. I think any warbird can be made to fly stable and land easy if you do 2 things: set your CG at 25% MAC or further forward even than that, and make sure you have generously sized flaps and don't be shy about deflection.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:01 PM
USA, IN, Seymour
Joined Oct 2009
235 Posts
Best Warbird

I DO NOT DISAGREE about the P-47.

I have a real fondness for the Corsair. No real problems in the air at all.......sometimes they waggle the tail though.

Right rudder on takeoff. Level wings on landing and steer with the rudder.

Nothin, Nothing looks like a Corsair on final with flaps and gear down.....!!!!
corsair167 is offline Find More Posts by corsair167
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:05 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
606 Posts
600BOB,

Have you made your decision yet?
Lifer is offline Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:53 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,092 Posts
No not yet. I'm just gathering opinions and information at this time. I am currently working on a sort of warbird, a deHaviland Tiger Moth mostly because I wanted a biplane but I want a fighter at some point too. I was just at the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field Seattle and there is a Super Corsair on the floor that sure looks nice