HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:47 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
about all I had time for yesterday after getting home was to build the splitter. in the pic you can see where I sprayed wax paper with elmers adhesive and stuck it down onto the wing and forward fuse sections, then spray some on top of the wax paper...this way I should be able to build the whole lower fuse/intake section and then be able to lift it off. this will make sanding the separate parts much easier, and eliminate the need for cutting a hatch for the fan install.

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:38 PM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashanar View Post
heh, me too. I also don't like parties with people that barely know each other. If i am partying, that would be only my old good friends.
awesome progress on the intruder! Makes me want to build my one... Huh, what to buy first - osd for my fpv, or edf power system and servos?
edf!
i12flyrc is offline Find More Posts by i12flyrc
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:04 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
625 Posts
Sloperjoe, you are a master at the foam board building. Looks great! I like the wax paper idea. Lt.
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:01 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Joe, great idea with the wax paper!!! Great build you got going! w
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
well, still have one more layer to add to the intakes, not too altogether sure how this is going to look after I lift it off...but sometimes things just look funky till the rest of the plane takes shape so we shall continue on with style

Joe
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:34 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
got the second layer done and pealed it off. dont look too bad, now I can put a nose on it, then cut a canopy, and install the tutle deck. those should be a breeze compared to these intakes. no wonder nobody does A-6's very often..kind of a
but that definitely was the hard part and its done...tank gawt!
as you may have noticed they are not boxed as I originally had hoped to do...thought those would've been easier.. turns out a two layer bent foam intake was easier... havent weighed it yet cause I still have several temporary formers in it and some sanding to do but I'am pretty sure I havent hit the 3oz mark yet

Joe
Last edited by sloperjoe; Jul 23, 2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:53 AM
Joined Feb 2012
625 Posts
Awesome work!!!! I am going to have to break out the DS foam and practice. practice, practice....looks great
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
man I tell ya, musta stared at this thing for 3hrs before deciding on a plan of attack..my eyes is tired..
I gotta go to bed..

Joe
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:29 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,230 Posts
Sloperjoe,

Dude, have you earned eight hours of shut-eye time!!! This build is a treat!

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:39 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Joe, your doing a great job, I was really wondering how you were gona do the ducts, good ideas.. w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:24 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Great execution of the round ducts, truly masterful. Now you're going to have to put together a step-by-step instruction set, with pictures, to show how you did it

Vic
vicentel is offline Find More Posts by vicentel
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
Skilled crasher
Ukraine, Kyiv city, Kiev
Joined Oct 2010
81 Posts
So, are the round ducts made of two layers of foam?
Here you can see the exhaust ducts. I wonder how will you make them large enough for EDF.

Theere are Prowlers, but the rear part is same.
sashaNar is offline Find More Posts by sashaNar
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Feb 2012
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperjoe View Post
man I tell ya, musta stared at this thing for 3hrs before deciding on a plan of attack..my eyes is tired..
I gotta go to bed..

Joe
Joe, I have a question about using epoxy. If I am trying to round a glued corner, the epoxy is a harder material than the foam(even when its green) so it is difficult to sand the epoxy down flush without taking off to much of the foam? I end up with a "raised" epoxy line. Any suggestions. Also I did find a glue that does work well on foam board. It is the Ultimate RC Foam Glue, have you ever tried it? Lt.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
@Lt599,
I try to use as little epoxy as possible on a joint, wipe any off that squishes out, and when sanding a joint round I start right on the epoxy line and carefully work out from there, sometimes you will have a raised line, but if the epoxy got squeezed really thin it sands off nice.
cant say if I have tried Ultimate RC Foam Glue, does it dry quickly? I tried some stuff from the craft store that was supposed to be specially made for gluing foam...glued up a test piece and waited, and waited,...set it aside overnight...let it set all day...the next morning it looked dry...did the pull test...came right apart and the inside of the glue joint was still "wet", after sniffing it I came to the conclusion that it was basically Elmers white glue
my whole thing on glue is:
#1 availability, if its hard to get I wont use it.
#2 ease of use.
#3 cure time, if it needs to set for hours I definitely wont use it. not that I am impatient, I just dont have the room available to let projects sit for long

so if its all 3 of these I'll try it..

@sashaNar,
sinse this is NOT a scale build it will not have scale exhaust.

@Vic,
Nnnnnnno...

@Walt,
I was wondering how I was gonna do them too..

thanks all!
Joe
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
woooops,
failed to add the pics showing the temp formers and rear ducting placement on the above "intake building" post..
so here ya go.

Joe