HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:39 PM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
939 Posts
Okay so now I'm a believer in Lok Tite 200. I have been cutting out the stab, rudder and wing layers. I decided I would lay in some carbon on the middle layer of the wing. I sprayed both sides and let dry to a tacky finish before putting them togetherThe first two layers lined up well and stuck solid. Then I did the same to the two layer set and the third layer.

Whoops , you had better line these up perfect, because once they stick there is no getting them apart. it wasn't lined up perfect but I can work with it. So overall went with 3 layers of 6mm and one layer of 3mm since I scaled it up 20%. These are solid and not coming apart, Don't know why I debated it so long, just have to get better lining them up next time.

Attached some pics of the middle wing layer before assembling the layers. I use a dremel router setup to route the slot for the carbon spars, then eoxy them in place. since this was the middle layer, the spar won't even show.

Working on Rudder and stab assembly atm.
i12flyrc is offline Find More Posts by i12flyrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:38 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,087 Posts
coming along nicely
I couldnt help but notice the work bench. Organized chaos
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:52 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Looking good Mike. Didn't know u were adding the extra 3mm layer with the 3 6mm layers. W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:43 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Mike,

Looking very good and it should be very cool a bit larger. If I do one it will either shrink to use a 40mm or grow to use a 56mm. Pictures are great, and I love the tip on scoring the spar slot area before routing. That would leave a very nice edge.

And just a thought on the wing alignment issues with using contact cement. I often take several sheets of wax paper laid side by side over the bottom panel. Lay the top panel over this, and you can move it around because of the wax paper, yet still see through to get the edges aligned. Then pull out one sheet of wax paper at a time, and press current section together. No more mis-alignment issues!

Keep it coming, looks like it won't take long!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:03 AM
Mike
Joined Jul 2003
939 Posts
At 26" the wing was three layers of 6mm or .75". So going up by 20% to a 40" span I used 3 layers of 6mm and 1 layer of 3mm depron. Total thickness is 7/8 of an inch. Not quite a 20% increase but I didn't want to go to thick.

Oh also got my Het fan unit and motor today.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:11 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
he he...actually $tree foam is 5mm... so you are probably closer to an exact scale-up than you thought
this is gonna to be cool!

oh by the way I have yet to get all three layers to line up perfect, so dont worry bout it, it isnt really a critical thing.

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:33 PM
Mike
Joined Jul 2003
939 Posts
Quick question for you A6 buffs. I've been trying to figure out if the full scale A6 uses a flying stab and ailerons, elevator and ailerons, or tailerons. Anybody know? I know Joe did tailerons, but at this size, if it is a full flying stab and ailerons I could set it up that way. trying to stay simple but keep thinking it has ailerons. I haven't been able to get good video online that would show how it is.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:25 AM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
hey Mike,
the tail was full flying and as far as the wing here is what I found on a "Intruder/Prowler" site:

The wing arrangement was somewhat unusual. The overall planform was nothing strange, a moderately swept wing with a small "leading edge root extension" at the front of the wing root; the wings folded straight up hydraulically at about a third of the span from the wing root. There was a prominent wing fence on both the inboard and outboard wing sections, intended to prevent loss of lift due to airflow diverted down the span of the wing; pictures of the development machines suggest that only the inboard wing fence was fitted early on. The flight control surface arrangement, however, was unconventional, each wing featuring:

A leading edge slat running from the wing root extension out to near the wingtip, split at the wingfold.

A slotted "flaperon" assembly fitted to the rear edge of the wing, running from the root out to near the wingtip, also split at the wingfold. The flaperon was capable of being used as both flap and aileron.

A spoiler directly forward of the flaperon on top of the wing, again split at the wingfold, that could be used for roll control as well as "lift dumping" for landings.

Air brakes consisting of panels top and bottom on the trailing edge of the wing near the wingtip. The airbrakes could be used on carrier approach, permitting a slow landing approach while maintaining engine thrust; if the approach was waved off, closing the airbrakes allowed the aircraft to regain speed quickly.
Early on, there was also an airbrake on each side of the rear fuselage, but they caused pitch problems. Although provisions for the fuselage airbrakes were retained well into A-6A production, they were disabled in service. Later A-6A production deleted the fuselage airbrakes, and the airbrake recess in earlier production machines was generally faired over. There was nothing particularly unusual about the aircraft's tail assembly, except for a cooling air inlet in the forward tailfin fillet. All flight surfaces were hydraulically actuated.

The A-6A featured tricycle landing gear, the nose gear being fitted with twin wheels and retracting backward, while each main gear had a single wheel and retracted forward into the inboard section of the wing, the wheel pivoting 90 degrees to lie flat. There was a carrier catapult attachment on the nose gear assembly, and a stinger-type arresting hook under the rear fuselage. There was also a peculiar-looking small fitting under the tail that served as a tail bumper and a deck tiedown attachment hookup, with a fuel-dump pipe in its rear.

here is the link:http://www.airvectors.net/ava6.html

Joe
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:17 AM
Mike
Joined Jul 2003
939 Posts
Thanks Joe!

Now I am leaning toward conventional ailerons and either a flying stab or standard elevator. All the videos I have watched make it appear as if it is a flying stab. I did notice the Flaperons which were confusing to watch since just the down flap seemed to deploy on one side but nothing on top. Now it makes sense.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:13 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Mike,from the photos I've seen the A6 has flying stabs, but I'm sure regular stabs and elevator setup would work. W
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:23 PM
Mike
Joined Jul 2003
939 Posts
Goingto go withRegular elevator ( based on the plans) and ailerons. Soooo much sanding. Got the rudder done, working on the stab then the wings. This is shaping up. Fuse next.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
excellent! dont forget some pics when you star the fuse

Joe
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:43 AM
Mike
Joined Jul 2003
939 Posts
Stab and Rudder completed for now. Slow progress on the wing. I have started sanding but between work, getting ready for some travel this weekend and eJets next weekend, I haven't been able to get as much done as I would like. I will post some pics tonight. I have the back half of the left side rough sanded at this point and will continue. I am using a flat metal sanding bar, a T-Bar with 100 grit and even an exacto saw to get at this.

I do like how it is shaping up though. Lots of depron dust, can't be helped though. Just have to keep cleaning it up so the wifey stays happy.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:11 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Great Mike! I'll be looking forward to your pics! w.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:39 PM
Mike
Joined Jul 2003
939 Posts
Here are some pics of the rudder and stab. Both are two layers of 6mm and 1 layer of 3mm depron. They areeach a total 5/8" thick. Leading edges have been rounded and trailing edges tapered on both sides to 1/8".

Once I get the fuse going, I will decide if I will go with a conventional elevator or flying stab.

Also attached pictures of the wing. Again this is three layers of 6mm depron and one layer of 3mm depron on the bottom, total thickness of 7/8". I have started rough sanding the wing with 100 grit sand paper, some of the carving was done with and Xacto blade and an Xacto had saw. I have the trailing edge down to almost 1/4", I have a little more to go then will start the leading and move to the right side.

The fuse will start after that. Definitely going with ailerons though.
Last edited by i12flyrc; Aug 31, 2012 at 05:21 AM.