SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Build Log
A-6 Intruder 50mm w/PLANS, "i12flyrc" maidened 40" 70mm version W/VIDEO

UPDATE: plans added on page #8, maiden video on page #6
UPDATE: "i12flyrc" Mike has maidened his 40" span 70mm version! post #265 to read the flight report

hi all,
I picked up two of these fans http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Version_.html and was planning on a twin project, then a single, then a twin,.....I decided to go with a single. I have test run these fans and I am impressed, very smooth and really push.
I have the plans penciled out and have a good idea on how I want to build it. I wont ink anything till it flies in case I change something but I think it will be as drawn. this is not an exact scale build but should look pretty close when done. I "think" I can do this airframe at 4oz's maybe a tad less, but that is my target. I want to be at 10oz's or less AUW, if it hits 11 or 12 thats fine too but I am going to try for lite as possible. I will be using depapered $tree foamboard.

specs:
WS.........................26"
LNGTH...................28"
FAN........................HK 50mm Alloy EDF 4800kv (3s Version)
ESC.......................HK Red Brick 20A ESC
SERVOS...............2 x 9gm
BATT.....................SKY LIPO 1000mah 3s 30c
AUW......................10-12oz's
RATED THRUST..16oz's (from some testing I think this is accurate)
MAX AMPS............18

so there it is, and I hope to start cutting tonight

couple plans pics to tease you with

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Last edited by sloperjoe; Nov 20, 2012 at 02:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:53 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,238 Posts
Sloperjoe,

You're just an EDF building machine!!! And you're not picking any easy builds either. I think, I've only seen ONE A-6 Intruder build, and it was a pusher at that. Do your stuff, man. I'm happy to see ya work your magic.

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:57 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
keeping an eye on your build Joe.

Vic
vicentel is offline Find More Posts by vicentel
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:15 AM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
654 Posts
Sounds like healthy little fans! Will be watchin
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:45 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
just got home from work....now I can go to work

Joe
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:20 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
thanks guys,
well got the wing parts cut and the tail feathers too. got to cheat some on the tail because I had a two layer sheet laminated and left over from a previous build. tomorrow I will lam the wing and get it and the stabs sanded to shape. the wing as you can see will be 3 layer, there will be no spar, I "think" it should be plenty stiff at three layers for the 10oz load (hopefully 10oz )
weight for these parts so far is a whopping 1.5oz's and thats before sanding witch should put me at closer to 1oz or less for the finished wing and stabs...so far so good
I also redrew the nose to be closer to the scale three view I have.
time for beddyby

Joe
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:12 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Wow Joe! You've turned into a building machine! This looks like it will be another great build, will be watching!!!!! w
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
more of an experimenter than a building machine
I've always loved designing and building things, its actually what I do for a living, only with piping systems, tubing systems, and steel fabrication...RC aircraft is way funner an way more relaxing.
anyhow I had a cool brainstorm on a way to build the intakes that should be easy to do and look good. I want to build the Intruder with the same concept as the Phantom so the airframe will be made in groups ie wing, upper/lower fuselages, and tailgroup. my hope is to show building complex shapes isnt really all that complex and hopefully some of you will build one too....maybe think of a better way to do something and improve the design..but mostly for me...THIS IS JUST FUN
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:09 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,238 Posts

This is going to be a real treat! Build on! Build on! Build on!

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:24 AM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
937 Posts
Subscribed. I've always wanted a 70mm Intruder, Watching with much interest.
i12flyrc is online now Find More Posts by i12flyrc
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
had a little delay on the build but now I can go again
laminated the three layer wing last night and drew on the fuse reference lines and sanding guide lines, found a slight scaling discrepancy in my "scale" three view from the side top and front view, so when I started drawing out formers from the front they didnt look right. so right now I am eraseing and amending the nose section and top view of the plans so it will "look" right from the front....
shouldnt take too long and I can start the fuse sections. I should have the wing and tail sanded out tonight.

Joe
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:49 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Movin right along Joe! Too bad on your set back, I'm sure you'll have it straight right away.. W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:12 PM
Skilled crasher
Ukraine, Kyiv city, Kiev
Joined Oct 2010
81 Posts
One of my favorite planes, together with A-7 and A-10.
What about intakes? Intruder doesn't have big intakes, and especially exhausts, that isn't a problem for a jet, but for EDF it could be.
Also, will it have retracts?
sashaNar is offline Find More Posts by sashaNar
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:31 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,256 Posts
The Intruder is modeled way too seldomly. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:04 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
@ Walt, no big deal just looked a tad "skinny" from the front when I started doing the formers, should look kinda frogish from the front, instead it was looking more lizardish...was easy to fix and didnt affect anything but the front fuse section.

@sashaNar, the intakes will not be scale nor the exhaust, I have yet to see an "exact" scale model of the intruder, least not an EDF. no landing gear, this is just going to be a 50mm park jet belly lander.

@Vic, thanks, I have a set of plans I drew up almost 20 years ago to do this airframe (alot bigger than this one) for slope flying, never did get around to building it. but now-a-days alot of things are possible to build.

just got home from work and off to do the sanding

Joe