Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:18 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Discussion
Homemade CNC from DVD Laser

Hey folks,

My cousin the physicist sent me this article on making a laser cutter with a diode from a scrap DVD player. Doesn't seem to have a lotta power...the article says 150mW from a DVD burner, but they say it's strong enough to melt plastic and burn paper. Would most likely cut balsa....but they say a Blu-Ray player yields around 1W....so that would be the ticket.

Sounds interesting, but complicated? Doesn't look *terribly* convoluted...somewhat time consuming, but folks here don't mind that...!

Apparently one can use a piece of software called "Grbl", which is a hacked version of G-code....but I'll betcha there are others.

The author says "With free G-code generator extensions to various drawing programs, sending a page to an engraver is only slightly more complex than sending it to a regular laser printer."

One problem I can see would be the axis length. Some parts require a good stretch, so you'd have to come up with a way to lengthen at least one of the axis.

Still....an interesting concept.
whowhatwhere is offline Find More Posts by whowhatwhere
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:38 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,130 Posts
Can you copy the thread to the -

The Builders Workshop forum
and the-
CAD/CAM forum

As they may be able to determine the feasibility of the idea for model use.

eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:27 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Sounds good...I'll take a crack at moving it.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:32 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Thread moved to suggested locations and closed.
Closed Thread