SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:40 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
284 Posts
Help!
1.3 GHZ bluebeam whip antenna from RMRC

Hello all,

I'm trying to get my first FPV system set up and running.

I have the 1.28 Ghz set from RangeVideo and the 1.3 GHZ bluebeam whip antenna from RMRC.

I'm using a 25" CRT TV as the viewing source.

The stock vee antenna provided live video, but fuzzed out and eventually got the BSOD within 50 feet away of the video receiver. I upgraded to the bluebeam antenna from RMRC, and the same thing is happening. The bluebeam antennas (vTx, vRx) are both mounted pointing straight up, as suggested. The range is disappointing, so I figure I must be doing something wrong.

I've searched the forums for hints and tried many, but none are helping.

Should I return the bluebeam antenna set and use a 1.3 GHz optimized patch antenna from RMRC with the stock vee antenna instead of the bluebeams?

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.
2MacGyver is offline Find More Posts by 2MacGyver
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:48 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
Are you testing indoors, through walls etc? Or out in the open?
Even just the basic set should reach out hundreds of yards, and can go a couple miles
with the bluebeam antennas. If you're only getting 50 feet then you're either experiencing
severe multipathing (can happen if you test through your house), or the video Tx is dead,
or one of your antenna connections is not being made at all. Since you get same
symptoms with two different sets of antennas, it's most likely a video Tx failure.
Oh.. and don't test with either Tx or Rx antenna near the ground. That'll also cause
enough multipathing to cut your range to nothing. Get it up on a tripod.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:21 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
284 Posts
Ian, thanks for your suggestions.

I'm testing outside in the open, not through walls. My initial tests were inside and I'd have it hooked up to my LCD TV and the video worked fine. There would be a few seconds of BSOD every 20 seconds or so, but the video was pretty clear. That was only up to 25 feet away from the TV though.

While testing it outdoors, I'm out a few feet off of my covered back patio, about 15 feet away from my house. In the front and on the sides there is no interference (trees, etc.), it's just an open lawn. Am I still too close to the house?

I had the video transmitter mounted on a tripod about 4.5 feet off the ground. Should it be higher than that? Both antenna connections are solid. The signal was ok (kind of fuzzy a little) before I even took off, then disappeared completely to the BSOD after about 30-50 feet away. Flying up high or out level a few feet off the ground didn't change it.

Are the 1.3 GHz bluebeam omni antennas better than the bluebeam whip antennas?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:26 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
Where you're testing should be fine.
This is not an antenna choice problem. You could use a straight whip at both ends, and
get more range than this if Tx and Rx are functioning properly. Does your video Tx get
almost too hot to touch when it's been sitting still for a while while powered on?
It should. If it doesn't, it is defective.

BTW, what control system are you using and is it powered up near your video Rx while testing?

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:26 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
284 Posts
Yes, the video Tx does get very hot (almost too hot to touch) after a few minutes of being turned on. It has always done that. I was wondering about the heat and glad to know it's normal.

I'm flying a DJI F550, NAZA flight controller, 2.4 GHz Spektrum DX8 radio, AR8000 radio receiver. The video Tx is mounted as far away as possible from the AR8000 receiver. I'm not sure what the "control system" is, but if it's the RC radio, yes it is powered up and is about 5 feet away from the video Rx. The video Rx is connected to the CRT TV, and I stand in front of the TV to monitor video signal while flying LOS.
Last edited by 2MacGyver; Feb 26, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:29 PM
United States, VA, Madison Heights
Joined Aug 2011
771 Posts
Dude!!!! Those Blubeams are for 5.8GHz not 1.2GHz. That's your problem.
MASHTON is offline Find More Posts by MASHTON
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:02 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
284 Posts
Aha! I was wondering why the didn't look like the 1.3 GHz bluebeam antennas that I ordered from the RMRC website. I just checked my order confirmation and it was the 1.3 GHz antennas that I ordered:
1 x 1.3 GHz Bluebeam Whip Antenna Set (RHCP) (1280BLUEBEAMWHIP)

I'll contact RMRC for an exchange.

Thanks Ian and Mashton!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:27 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
FYI the SWR is so far off using those antennas, I wouldn't power up the transmitter or receiver anymore with them on. It works them both to hard.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:44 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
Before reading the rest of the thread, I took a look at those antennas and thought "wow those are tiny for 1.3...wait a minute!!" I have the same RangeVideo Tx/Rx/LPF and same DJI F550 as OP and I was getting 1/4mi out of the rubber duck stock antennas when testing. I mounted my Tx out on an arm and the airflow from the prop keeps it cool to the touch.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:38 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
If youve been browsing forums enough you would know that those are 5.8ghz antennas just by looking at them. I cant help but think of the potential damage that has been done to the vtx because the wrong antennas were being used.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:55 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
There actually is still a problem here. He says he loses video at 50 feet using the stock
Vee and dipole supplied with http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...f2c6f2f240a646
If that's true, something else is wrong. While you may see increased multi-path and
cross polarization while banking using linear antennas, the signal should still be good for several
hundred yards while ground testing.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:08 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
Ian, Im relatively new to all this but I have found with both my 5.8g and 1.3g setups the stock antennas only give me 50 to 100 meters at best. Once I went to the CL antennas I got much longer distances. Im just interested in what you are saying as i have had 2 different frequencies on different setups give me poor results with stock antenna. I know the manufacturer specs say different but I havent had that experience.

Cheers
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:11 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
It depends on the antennas. If you are using the big 8" tall whips, 1.28ghz should be good for some decent range, prolly close to a mile with some altitude.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:30 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
Note the "stock" antennas in this case are a tuned Vee for the Tx and a dipole for the Rx.
It should give a lot more range than the OP says he's getting.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:47 PM
Aerial Photography
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2012
103 Posts
Hm yeah that 5.8 antenna might have damaged your tx/rx so I am not sure how reliable tests are going to be with that equipment now. It is a drastic measure, but I think it would be best to get another set of tx/rx altogether.
I would recommend racewood tx/rx found here http://www.dronesvision.com/racewood...er-blue-label/ and here http://www.dronesvision.com/racewood...as-blue-label/

This should give you several kilometers of range with some altitude with the CP antennas. Make sure you use the proper ones though.

You can also upgrade the SAW filter in the rx to this one http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=468
It will give you a better signal and is not very difficult to do. Just youtube the video on how to do it.

One more thing, are those DJI 10" props? If so get rid of them ASAP because they explode in mid air, ask me how I know. It is actually a known problem with those props.
kdrcguy is offline Find More Posts by kdrcguy
Last edited by kdrcguy; Jul 16, 2012 at 07:55 PM.