HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:45 AM
Australia, QLD, Rockhampton
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
Help!
3 axis gyro for Airplanes..Which one is the best?

Hi,

I have a PZ Trojan which I have been flying for few weeks now. I flew it in a fair bit of wind and didnt enjoy the landings. I saw one of the club members fly a plane with AS3X the same day it dint seem to mind the wind much.

I want to install the 3 axis gyro on the Trojan. Which gyro should be a good one to buy? Any tips? I have seen a thread about how to install a gyro in an airceaft but that was not a 3 axis one. I intend to use the gyro on all my other planes.

Any suggestions?

P.S: I dont want to spend more than $200 on a Gyro.
risingstar is offline Find More Posts by risingstar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:47 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,209 Posts
Learn to fly, grasshopper. You gonna put gyros on all your planes? That's gonna get expensive.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:02 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,025 Posts
I was thinking of posting the exact same question as the OP.

Learn to fly is good advice. But there are times when you're at the field and the guys who know how to fly don't because it's too gusty. Reports are that the UMX Beast 3D with it's ASX3 gizmo can fly when larger planes are grounded due to the gyros. I'd like some of that. The PZ T-28 can handle a reasonable amount of wind, but when conditions are gusty, especially the sort of random ground level gusts you sometimes get in a field rimmed by tall trees, any help stabilizing the thing for a landing would be most welcome.

There must be some nice little 3 axis gyro that can be stuck in a plane like the PZ T-28 to increase it's stability in gusty wind.

- Ken
(My PZ T-28 is the plane I take to fly when the wind is a bit much for my extra 300, or as it turned out yesterday for when I crash the extra. I don't want gyros on the extra, but I think I do on the T-28.)
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Learn to fly, grasshopper. You gonna put gyros on all your planes? That's gonna get expensive.

mw
LOL my thoughts exactly.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:48 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,232 Posts
The FY-30A flight stabiliser (Google it) would do the job nicely. It's a 3 axis inertial gyro with three in-flight switchable modes, off, 3D, or stabiliser.

'Stabiliser' mode automatically self rights the model into straight an level flight from any attitude, no matter how extreme, sort of a 'panic button' if you have lost control.

'3D' mode is similar to AS3X and is good for steadying the plane in windy conditions and makes most aerobatics really smooth and stable.

'Off' simply disables the gyro and the model flies as normal.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:21 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,379 Posts
I dunno... I'd be somewhat scared on that first takeoff when my control inputs aren't going straight to the servos.

You should be able to program one of these boards to do it, though. I'm not sure how effective it would be.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:38 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
You should be able to program one of these boards to do it, though. I'm not sure how effective it would be.
There's the OpenAero project going in the FPV forum...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1568554

I'm using it to keep the plane stable in the wind. It does have the option for full stabilization. However you need to buy the programmer and another cable..

For full stabilization out of the box I'd suggest the FY-30. I have the FY-20 and never used full stabilization mode. Just kept it in '3d' mode to dampen the wind. Sure I know how to fly.. At the same time I don't like my lighter foam airplane tossed around in the wind.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:57 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I fly and am a very good pilot and see no harm from using any tool in the box. I wouldn't mind having something that would let my plane circle so I could do whatever I needed to do if I needed to. For myself it would, will, be another new tool to play with.... DaveZEE
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:16 PM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
I fly and am a very good pilot and see no harm from using any tool in the box. I wouldn't mind having something that would let my plane circle so I could do whatever I needed to do if I needed to. For myself it would, will, be another new tool to play with.... DaveZEE
Like answer my Cell phone when it rings. Cell phone rings activate the Gyro to circle the airplane. Cool.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:28 PM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Hi,

I have a PZ Trojan which I have been flying for few weeks now. I flew it in a fair bit of wind and didnt enjoy the landings. I saw one of the club members fly a plane with AS3X the same day it dint seem to mind the wind much.

I want to install the 3 axis gyro on the Trojan. Which gyro should be a good one to buy? Any tips? I have seen a thread about how to install a gyro in an airceaft but that was not a 3 axis one. I intend to use the gyro on all my other planes.

Any suggestions?

P.S: I dont want to spend more than $200 on a Gyro.
try the eagletree guardian 2d/3d.think thats the kind of thing your after..
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:55 AM
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza44 View Post
try the eagletree guardian 2d/3d.think thats the kind of thing your after..
I think this is what I need. Thanks a ton
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:56 AM
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
The FY-30A flight stabiliser (Google it) would do the job nicely. It's a 3 axis inertial gyro with three in-flight switchable modes, off, 3D, or stabiliser.

'Stabiliser' mode automatically self rights the model into straight an level flight from any attitude, no matter how extreme, sort of a 'panic button' if you have lost control.

'3D' mode is similar to AS3X and is good for steadying the plane in windy conditions and makes most aerobatics really smooth and stable.

'Off' simply disables the gyro and the model flies as normal.
Thanks mate.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:23 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
guardian 2d/3d uk supplier if anyone wants one..
they got a good review so thought id get one n try it out too..

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...TeWT5Mi93f_7wQ
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:48 AM
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza44 View Post
guardian 2d/3d uk supplier if anyone wants one..
they got a good review so thought id get one n try it out too..

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...TeWT5Mi93f_7wQ
Was looking at Eagle A3 PRO.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Eagle...ht_2665wt_1037

Weighs only 8gms compared to 11gms for the Guardian.
Any reason why I should not get a A3 PRO?

Cheers
Last edited by risingstar; Jul 19, 2012 at 03:19 AM. Reason: oops !
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:50 AM
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
And yeah. The A3 Pro is a lot cheaper than the Guardian, while doing the same thing. Correct me if I am wrong.