HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:11 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,334 Posts
New Product
New Devo 7E Radio from Walkera!!

Continuing the furious pace of new releases from Walkera and coming hot on the heels of the superb Devo 10 radio is the new smaller format, telemetry enabled, Devo 7E.

This new radio is a combination of the Devo 6/6S case format with the display and menus of the Devo 10. The display is really great, it feels even clearer than the Devo 10 because of the slightly smaller size but identical resolution, it's backlit so great for indoors and easy to see even in bright midday sun as shown here:

It provides full a 7 channels: Elevator, Aileron, Throttle, Rudder, Pitch, Gear(Throttle Hold switch) and Aux2(Flight Mode switch). The size of course is great for smaller hands (kids and ladies) who find difficulty with reaching around a larger TX. It sports (unlike the Devo 10) those nice rubberised grips too,

Around the back are the familiar charging and DSC ports so you can use it with your PC Sim. It uses 4 AA cells and has a JST plug if you want to use an alternative power pack.

The menu format/navigation, while not as easy as the great Colour LCD Screens in the 6, 8 and 12, is very easy to navigate once you get used to the button combinations and where things are in the menus.
There's the familiar SYSTEM for all the controls of the TX which affect everything, Display, Buzzer, Vibration Alert (another great addition!!).
Then there's the MODEL menu which controls which model is selected and their names, the copy, receive functions etc.
Finally the FUNCTION menu which controls all the model specific settings like throttle curves and dual rates etc.
There are set out in the reverse of the order above so the things you're most likely to want to change are accessible most easily (which is a nice touch and shows good thinking by the R&D guys).

A couple of things which are different between it and the 6/6S are that it has more model memories - so if you are approaching 30 models in your collection you can still use just this one TX to fly them all! The vibrating alert and stick programmable switches (to turn on timers etc) are great touches too.

Of course, as per all new releases from Walkera, you have a telemetry capability. I've only really used the LiPo alarm function for battery status so far but already I find it gives me peace of mind when flying - not least because I'm bad at starting and hearing my timers! If you have more sensors then you can get additional information direct to your TX.

Like the rest of the Devo series it's upgradable online so you can always get the latest available features that the Techies at Walkera are working on. The best thing here is that they have followed the 6, 8, 10, 12 and given it a proper USB port! No more messing about with UP02 adaptors like for the Devo 7, just connect it up with a standard cable that, if you're anything like me, you have millions of already. Great! (Also, a note on that, the upgrade process it very well done, the boot part of the chip isn't affected so the risk of damaging the TX during an upgrade is much reduced compared with flashing a PC BIOS 5 or 10 years ago. Don't be nervous about upgrading!))

Missing is the AMPLI menu, you operate at the units full power mode all the time I expect ~10mW but this should be good for flying most models up to 500m away or so without any difficulty and keeps the unit simple.
If you travel, you benefit from a familiar TX with almost half the weight compared to a Devo 10.

The only thing I wish it really had is a power light behind the Devention logo which showed when the power was on. The WK2801Pro had this and it saved me from flat batteries a couple of times.

Basically it is a small TX with a big TX punch!

Here are some more photos of this new arrival.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Last edited by thwaitm; Jul 16, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:15 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Nice write up!

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:42 AM
Hobbyone
Joined Aug 2011
91 Posts
why not write this thread in MICRO HELI ? People in MICRO HELI know WALKERA very much ~~
one01 is offline Find More Posts by one01
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:41 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,334 Posts
Thread closed and moved to Micro Helis... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1693112
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Closed Thread