HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:33 AM
Los Angeles, California
Joined Jun 2006
410 Posts
Help!
How to Solder Micro Deans connectors

Hello

Does anyone have tips on how to solder the battery wires to the micro Deans plugs. Even if I soldered/heat shrunk one wire ... then the other, still the two prongs look awfully close to each other.

I tried looking for videos/tips on this forum, but couldn't find any. Any links to instructions (preferably with photos/videos) will be very much appreciated.

cheers, Khan
wrathofkhan is online now Find More Posts by wrathofkhan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:53 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
How-To Solder Micro Deans (1 min 32 sec)
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:53 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,692 Posts
#1 Get a hands helper from Harbor Depot to hold the parts.
#2 Like was shown, solder the wire to the outside edge of the pin.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:53 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,237 Posts
I tried them once and found them to be a pain. Just could not get the solder to flow right without deforming them from the heat. So I gave up and now use EC2s which are really easy. The EC2 are only .4grams more per pair and I like not having exposed pins.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:21 PM
Ignint McNugget
behind Jaggi lines
Joined Jan 2004
907 Posts
I've given up on micro deans also; I was tired of all the sparking when I got into parallel charging. You need seriously steady hands to avoid it!

I switched to mini T-plugs (look like miniature versions of the ubiquitous Dean's ultras). Never heard of EC2's until the previous post - they look like a great option too. Both are just 0.4 g/pair heavier than the Deans minis.
Rumple is offline Find More Posts by Rumple