HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:45 PM
Help me pick up the pieces
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2011
120 Posts
Discussion
Best flying WWII warbirds

What WWII warbird airframe is your favorite to fly when you consider handling, lack of bad tendancies and overall flying? I've had a few US planes but curious what other user like to fly.
crockett828 is offline Find More Posts by crockett828
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:47 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Parkzone spit and jug. Ground handling sucks, but they fly awesome.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:30 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,037 Posts
Agree. I've had 5 or 6 Spitfires over the years and set up correctly they are sweet and easy flying planes. Same for the P-47. I still have the old EPS E-flite P-47 and last summer bought the large FMS P-47. I put 1500 watts of power in it and it still handles as sweet as can be when throttled back.
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:36 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
The PZ Corair V.1 can't be beat, other than the ground handling on grass. Once in the air, it's almost a trainer the way it handles.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:47 PM
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Nov 2009
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmd_man View Post
The PZ Corair V.1 can't be beat, other than the ground handling on grass. Once in the air, it's almost a trainer the way it handles.
+1 finally an afternoon without rain and a blue sky flew my PZ Wildcat, Mustang and Corsair all are great but must the Corsair is outstanding no bad tendencies can't speak to ground handling as I hand launch and belly land
bayoubengal is offline Find More Posts by bayoubengal
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:58 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
888 Posts
Bf 109G

My Derek Micko "fun scale" 80" Me 109G (available from Manzano laser works) flies fantastic,
I was sceptical when he recomended it at a first scale model but now that I've flown it I believe him.

Due to its size the ground handling is good and and the built in washout makes it nice and stable.

BIW.
BuildItWright is offline Find More Posts by BuildItWright
Last edited by BuildItWright; Jul 16, 2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: add pic
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:30 AM
United States, IA, Ida Grove
Joined Feb 2008
283 Posts
The FMS A6M3 Zero, 1400mm is a fantastic flying plane. I've flown many different models from various manufacturers and they all fly very nice when built and set up properly. The Byron Zero was my favorite, the Royal .60 size, my least favorite. (It was heavy). The Zero has a genreous wing area and good tail moment. Light wing loading and aerodynamic purity all come together in a great flying plane.
rleed is offline Find More Posts by rleed
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, MO, Kingsville
Joined Nov 2001
1,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmd_man View Post
I have to agree with this one as well, I have had mine for years, and it still flys just great...not one bad habit at all. I have quite a few other PZ planes, as well as FMS and old GWS, skyangel, eflight, electrifly, even a big VQ that is electric. The PZ corsair is like a trainer...slows way down, looks good. I really hope they do not mess it up with the new version...it was very good the way it was.
cherokee is offline Find More Posts by cherokee
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:23 AM
USA, IL, Oak Lawn
Joined Apr 2007
1,435 Posts
I love my kyosho spitfire 50 EP and my Hangar 9 p-47 conversion. Both fly real well.
Thrawn150 is offline Find More Posts by Thrawn150
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ElectriStar and me
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
United Kingdom, England, Leighton Buzzard
Joined Apr 2012
296 Posts
durafly p51 mustang,in fact i love all my durafly warbirds.ive got some great parkzone planes to but i find them just a little too floaty for my taste.
Markbinim is offline Find More Posts by Markbinim
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,295 Posts
My old Alfa Wildcat was a great flying plane. A real sweetheart that was basically my trainer as it was only my second plane (the multiplex easy glider was my first).
Michael Richards is offline Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:26 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,925 Posts
I'd have to vote for the PZ Spitfire, although I also love their P-47, 109, Wildcat, and Corsair . . .
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:26 PM
Georgetown IN
Joined Jul 2010
961 Posts
PZ P-47 is my "go to" plane. It does everything well. It can be modded to fly crazy fast if you wish, it can fly slow and scale, ground handling is very good, landing speed is slow and manageable, etc., etc., etc.

Spitfire is very good, but landing speed is higher (no flaps) and ground handling is very tricky (narrow track, strange geometry).
10AE is offline Find More Posts by 10AE
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:26 AM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,229 Posts
I have a FMS 1100mm F6F and a PZ F4F, which are both excellent flyers with good manners.
I prefer the F6F because it has a more axial roll and lower wing loading for the same size electrics.

I also have a much modified Tian Sheng FW190 which is very nice to fly and is easily my favorite warbird.
Fast, maneuverable, and dead easy to hand launch.

For non US WW2 warbirds I reckon you can't go far wrong with a decent FW190.
And there are so many choose from ATM
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:36 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett828 View Post
What WWII warbird airframe is your favorite to fly when you consider handling, lack of bad tendancies and overall flying? I've had a few US planes but curious what other user like to fly.
To me....Warbirds are not suppose to be easy to fly floaty aircraft....much like the foamie versions that most of us fly in lour ocal parks and club fields....myself included.
I like the heavier wing loading and something that flies more like a fighter and and less like a Super Cub....something that has to be flown to the ground and not just turn down the throttle and glide in for a landing.

My pic is the e-flite P-51B....it's 6 lbs and flies straight and true in the wind, it looses altitude at less then half throttle and has to be flown right to the ground to land....now thats a warbird.
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade