HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:04 AM
Joined Mar 2011
18 Posts
I tested mg930 from hk on my tricopter. So far it seems to work better than analog servo.
Leo82 is offline Find More Posts by Leo82
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:48 PM
United States, MA, Sturbridge
Joined Jun 2008
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo82 View Post
I tested mg930 from hk on my tricopter. So far it seems to work better than analog servo.
Does that mean there was no wobble from the servo or was there only very little wobble?
slowjett is offline Find More Posts by slowjett
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:56 PM
Romania, Europe
Joined Aug 2009
283 Posts
KK2 on flying wing

Hi there, although I use the KK2 new board on a FW, not a copter, I experience the same jitter problem with both my elevons. I use Corona MG digital brand new servos. I've played a lot with gains and limits but nothing seems to go better.
I suspect that actually the KK board picks up the little movement of the servos (they are made in steps) and trys to counteract them............
I say this because when I move very very slowly the stick, the jitter does not appear....only when I move the stick normally and when I rock the FW in my wing and the KK starts to work.....
This is a link to a short movie ....
MOV05644 (3 min 33 sec)

I expect the new firmware as quick as possible because this is my long waited FPV platform......and it is not OK to sale a device which is not working as advertised.......
serjuro is offline Find More Posts by serjuro
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:54 PM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
982 Posts
I've had the same jitter problem with a Naze32 board on a Tricopter. I have almost completely eliminated the problem by checking the entire tail system including the motor mounting mechanism, servo and pushrod assembly. I did the following:
1. Balance motor and prop
2. Make sure the tail mount is rigid, can only rotate and there is no end play or lateral play
3. Make sure the servo and the link from the tail to the servo is rigid and has no play or slop (I used ball links)
4. Select a servo that is smooth and has no backlash when turned by hand
5. Mount the main controller board on gyro foam and make sure the connecting wires are not transmitting vibration to the board

The entire tail motor mounting, drive and servo must be free of any movement except that demanded by the servo and the servo must be capable of driving the mechanical load.

Just my twopen'th.

Peter
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,089 Posts
Their HS-5085MG came in today and I tried it out but it still wobbled like th HS-85MG. I took all the props off and just spun it up and moved the tricopter around and it didn't wobble at all if that helps in any way. Maybe it has to do with the props? I did balance them all and the motors too. I'll have to work on it more later. I'll probably switch to my old KK board just to get up and flyng again first and then try some other stuff later.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:38 PM
Just noticed I can change this
Toowoomba QLD, Australia
Joined Nov 2005
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
I'll probably switch to my old KK board just to get up and flyng again first and then try some other stuff later.
I have done the same. After mucking around with pack after pack trying different things, the old KK board feels way better than I could get the tail on the KK2.

I've already ordered a bunch of stuff for a quad now to use the KK2 with Can't let it go to waste!
Okisub is offline Find More Posts by Okisub
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,089 Posts
Yeah, I'll likely do the same later when I feel the need for a quad again.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:05 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crezzee View Post
Hulk you have done yourself no favours with your comments.

There is a problem with this board in tricopter mode - fact.

There is a solution for the problem - low pass filter code in firmware (Mr kk has acknowledged and is fixing)
LPF removes high frequency vibrations detected by the more sensitive MEMS gyros, it's is not a solution to the problem, but a method of hiding one of the symptoms. Fix your vibration source and you don't need the LPF code in the firmware which limits responsiveness, something MultiWii buiders have known for ages.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erknie View Post
LPF removes high frequency vibrations detected by the more sensitive MEMS gyros, it's is not a solution to the problem, but a method of hiding one of the symptoms. Fix your vibration source and you don't need the LPF code in the firmware which limits responsiveness, something MultiWii buiders have known for ages.
I guess you don't get it. THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THIS BOARD IN TRICOPTER MODE.

The board needs to be fixed.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:30 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowjett View Post
I guess you don't get it. THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THIS BOARD IN TRICOPTER MODE.

The board needs to be fixed.
The board isn't broken, your copter is.

I have a fair grasp on the science of what's going on, it's obvious you don't and are just QQ'ing. Your vibrating tri-copter is upsetting the sensitive MEMS gyros, but you expect someone to fix it for your. I am quite sure Rolf will put in the LPF code so you can keep flying a crappy vibrating copter. Having to use LPF is just using earplugs to cover an engine noise in your car, when you should really be trying to fix the engine noise.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,052 Posts
Quote:

I have a fair grasp on the science of what's going on, it's obvious you don't and are just QQ'ing. Your vibrating tri-copter is upsetting the sensitive MEMS gyros, but you expect someone to fix it for your. I am quite sure Rolf will put in the LPF code so you can keep flying a crappy vibrating copter. Having to use LPF is just using earplugs to cover an engine noise in your car, when you should really be trying to fix the engine noise.
Really? My tri is about as vibration free as you can get it. No problems running my various KK boards, my Multiwii or the NAZA i used last week. This issue only shows up under KK2 board. So get off your high horse please.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:31 AM
Romania, Europe
Joined Aug 2009
283 Posts
Hi folks,
As I don't get help and answers to often here, I tried to isolate my problem.
I"ve taken the KK2 board from the flying wing and place it on a stable table.
The result ? : even with the board perfectly still and not affected by any movement/vibrations, the 2 elevons are still jittering like hell...........so the problem is not the feedback felt by the board from the normal movement of the servos....
Now I wait to see if mr.KK has an answer for this one........LOL
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:43 AM
Build Fly Crash Repeat
Worcester UK
Joined Nov 2004
806 Posts
Erknie you have done yourself no favours with your comments.

There is a problem with this board in tricopter mode - fact.

There is a solution for the problem, Mr kk has acknowledged this and is fixing.

Some of us do know how to balance motors and props!

Quote:

crezzee is offline Find More Posts by crezzee
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:20 AM
Hulk likes flying things
United States, IN, Kokomo
Joined May 2008
621 Posts
I'm still watching and waiting to see what the outcome will be. As the previous writer -Erknie - said, the LPF will only be a bandaid to the real problem of vibration induced overcorrections.
@ Serjuro
Nice installation on the plane.
Did you try plastic (non-metal) geared servos?
You have to admit that m/g servors are more notchy.
Can you dial down the sensitivity of the gyro(s)?

@Slowjett
can you provide a picture showing your board vibration isolation and a picture of the tail servo setup?
Phalanx-0 is offline Find More Posts by Phalanx-0
Last edited by Phalanx-0; Aug 01, 2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:37 AM
Romania, Europe
Joined Aug 2009
283 Posts
@Phalanx,
Thanks for appreciation.
I did tried some cheap plastic gear servos but not being placed on the wing...same problem.
I just want to underline that my problem is not necesarry vibration related because I've taken away the board still connected by wires and placed it firmly attached on a table.....so no vibration were present on the flying wing or on the kk2 board...........jitter/loop random random unwanted throws were present like before..........
So a software fault/bug being present because of the nowelty software is my firm believe that is the problem.......

PS I can dial up and down the gyro gains right from the board LCD screen but then the total travel of the servos are severely reduced...........
This is another very annoying thing for me because I have Pgain and P limit...........and Pgain is acting like a P limit...........and P limit amount seems to have no great effect ont the Travel adjustment, as it suppose to do..........