HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:13 PM
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Feb 2010
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif View Post
micro tricopter? What servo?

When I put mine in high it makes a buzzing noise and does not respond.
I am using the 9 gram hobby king servos. I get a buzzing too. I think a digital may work better
MIDNCOCO is offline Find More Posts by MIDNCOCO
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:42 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
866 Posts
I say "hear. Hear" to rcbif! My tri flew fine before and showed these issues. We're just asking about it. Certainly not ordering anyone to do something about it.
I ordered a couple digitals. I fly over water at times and didn't want to ditch a $300 tricopter if I can ditch a $150 equivalent.

Long live the king, long live KapteinKuk!
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:17 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,115 Posts
All posts from that phal muppet have the same tone, just ignore him.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:29 PM
Hulk likes flying things
United States, IN, Kokomo
Joined May 2008
613 Posts
Yeah, I'm a bore.

Ignore my suggestion to use digital servos and you will never get your V2 to fly.
I outlined why analog servos won't work.
You can lead a horse to water...

Go ahead flame me...I love the heat.
just let me know if digi servos fix your tail problems.
Phalanx-0 is offline Find More Posts by Phalanx-0
Last edited by Phalanx-0; Jul 17, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:13 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
I'm inching towards building my first tricopter (inspired by an RCexplorer and hallstudio's "cheap tricopter" videos) and have been ordering parts. I got a new KK2 board as it sounds like it flys better, especially for a newbie like me. I was a bit behind in reading so didn't read about these potential servo problems until last night. (I had just ordered an earlier version board too when the new one was released, so I have that to use as an option if need be).

I only have analog servos right now. If I was going to order a digital one to use with the KK2 board does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good choice?

I'm not going to be doing any camera work (for a while anyway), so maybe I can just live with it?

I'd appreciate any experience.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:55 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
I'm inching towards building my first tricopter (inspired by an RCexplorer and hallstudio's "cheap tricopter" videos) and have been ordering parts. I got a new KK2 board as it sounds like it flys better, especially for a newbie like me. I was a bit behind in reading so didn't read about these potential servo problems until last night. (I had just ordered an earlier version board too when the new one was released, so I have that to use as an option if need be).

I only have analog servos right now. If I was going to order a digital one to use with the KK2 board does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good choice?

I'm not going to be doing any camera work (for a while anyway), so maybe I can just live with it?

I'd appreciate any experience.

cheers,
Andrew
Well at this point (what hulk up there fails to understand) is we have a few people with digital servos on their tricopter, and most all of them have tail wobble, except MIDNCOCO. I'd ask what servo he has. However, MIDNCOCO hasnet really said if his wobble is completely gone?

My tricopter flys okish by LOS after getting it somewhat dialed in, but the faster flying I do fpv really messes with the yaw.
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:58 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,115 Posts
Who's flying V2's anyway thought that was a German Missile of WW2.

I have some digital servos on way, they will beat the KK2 which has obviously been on the back of a HK delivery snail for over 3 weeks now.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:51 PM
Hulk likes flying things
United States, IN, Kokomo
Joined May 2008
613 Posts
Hrm...seems as tho this guy has a stable tail
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=97
I'd recommend this family of small digi servos
http://www.advantagehobby.com/181968/EFLRDS76T/
I own several. They seem robust, as I thrash mine pretty hard.
Phalanx-0 is offline Find More Posts by Phalanx-0
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Jan 2006
21 Posts
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share my experience with the tail servo jitter and how I solved it.

I'll be direct to the point, the cause of the servo jitter is vibration.

I've been flying my tricopter for some time now starting with the original KK board. My main focus is aerial video (I'm no expert, but still learning). Because of this, it was essential for me to have a very stable platform. I spent hours balancing my motors and props (using magnetic prop balancers, etc.) when I first built my tri. It flew very well and stable.

Then came the KK2 board, slapped it in my tri, did some tweaks and it was all good. Flew perfect and no tail servo jitter. One day while playing with the autolevel, I happen to hit a wall (damn wall!). No major damage from the looks of things. Flew it again and suddenly the tail servo started jittering severely! Damn, I thought my new KK2 board got damaged!

Through a series of trial and error, the main culprit was one of the prop collet holding the prop got slightly bent when it hit the wall (Damn wall!). It was just a small bend, but enough to cause a small vibration on my tricopter's body and eventually affect the KK2 board. The KK2 board is very sensitive on the yaw axis. Anyway, I replaced the prop collet alone and the servo jitter stopped completely.

I'm no expert, and mine could be an isolated case, but I hope this helps.

EDIT: Just wanted to add... the bent prop collet was the front right prop. It caused a very minor vibration, but the KK2 got affected by it, causing the yaw servo to jitter a little, thus causing more vibration back to the KK2 board, thus causing more vibration back to the yaw servo, and so on. I guess what I'm trying to say is that a small vibration would exponentially increase vibration (did that even make sense?) lol Sorry I'm not good at explaining this part.
SleekStryker is offline Find More Posts by SleekStryker
Last edited by SleekStryker; Jul 19, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Australia, NSW, Wauchope
Joined Jan 2012
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx-0 View Post
Hrm...seems as tho this guy has a stable tail
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=97
I'd recommend this family of small digi servos
http://www.advantagehobby.com/181968/EFLRDS76T/
I own several. They seem robust, as I thrash mine pretty hard.
Hrm...
Seems hallstudio has tail servo jitter aswell.
Refer to post 918 in kk2 q&a that suggests reading before asking questions.
TLHover is offline Find More Posts by TLHover
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Joined Jun 2005
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleekStryker View Post
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share my experience with the tail servo jitter and how I solved it.

I'll be direct to the point, the cause of the servo jitter is vibration.

I've been flying my tricopter for some time now starting with the original KK board. My main focus is aerial video (I'm no expert, but still learning). Because of this, it was essential for me to have a very stable platform. I spent hours balancing my motors and props (using magnetic prop balancers, etc.) when I first built my tri. It flew very well and stable.

Then came the KK2 board, slapped it in my tri, did some tweaks and it was all good. Flew perfect and no tail servo jitter. One day while playing with the autolevel, I happen to hit a wall (damn wall!). No major damage from the looks of things. Flew it again and suddenly the tail servo started jittering severely! Damn, I thought my new KK2 board got damaged!

Through a series of trial and error, the main culprit was one of the prop collet holding the prop got slightly bent when it hit the wall (Damn wall!). It was just a small bend, but enough to cause a small vibration on my tricopter's body and eventually affect the KK2 board. The KK2 board is very sensitive on the yaw axis. Anyway, I replaced the prop collet alone and the servo jitter stopped completely.

I'm no expert, and mine could be an isolated case, but I hope this helps.

EDIT: Just wanted to add... the bent prop collet was the front right prop. It caused a very minor vibration, but the KK2 got affected by it, causing the yaw servo to jitter a little, thus causing more vibration back to the KK2 board, thus causing more vibration back to the yaw servo, and so on. I guess what I'm trying to say is that a small vibration would exponentially increase vibration (did that even make sense?) lol Sorry I'm not good at explaining this part.
What model tail servo are your running? Digital? My tricopter is pretty well balanced. The only vibrations seem to be come from the servo twitching back and forth.

I could see why vibrations would effect the servo, but I dont think that's the majority of our problems. Even KK himself said it's because the analog servos cant handle the signal so they wobble. That's why I'm curious what servo your running.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:26 PM
Australia, NSW, Wauchope
Joined Jan 2012
240 Posts
Post 918 on this page i mean.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post22164439
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:27 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Joined Jun 2005
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLHover View Post
Hrm...
Seems hallstudio has tail servo jitter aswell.

hallstudio was the first one I messaged about this

from hallstudio (hope he dosent mind me sharing his PM)

"If its a fast back and forth about 1/3 to 1/2 inch i have it to. not sure how to help. i hope my servo does not burn up. on esc setup there is a high and low setting for rudder. check and see if its set to high or low. i set mine to low for analog and high for digital. not much help there on the wobble but when i had it set to high on the analog it burnt up in 3 or 4 flights."
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Jan 2006
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif View Post
What model tail servo are your running? Digital? My tricopter is pretty well balanced. The only vibrations seem to be come from the servo twitching back and forth.

I could see why vibrations would effect the servo, but I dont think that's the majority of our problems. Even KK himself said it's because the analog servos cant handle the signal so they wobble. That's why I'm curious what servo your running.
I'm using Hitec HS-82MG. I'm waiting for my new(better) motors to come in from rctimer to replace my emax motors. I'll record a before and after video and show you what I mean with regards to this issue. Should arrive sometime next week.

Try this for a test: Remove your KK2 board and isolate it from your tricopter body. You'll need long servo extensions. Secure your KK2 board on a solid surface nearby and throttle up. See if the servo twitch goes away. Please exercise caution here as it can be dangerous. It's better to secure the tricopter body on a rig.

I tried this test myself when I was troubleshooting it before. Which led me to conclude that it was the vibration. Which led me to the bent prop collet.

I'm not saying that this is the ultimate cause/fix, but it's something that could help you guys troubleshoot better.
SleekStryker is offline Find More Posts by SleekStryker
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:37 PM
Australia, NSW, Wauchope
Joined Jan 2012
240 Posts
I'm using hs82-mg aswell. They're analogue.
I'm going to try isolating the board and see what happens and report back.
Good suggestion. Hope its that simple.