HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Kmot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:47 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,976 Posts
Idea
Updating my 10 year old TXT-1

I built the Tamiya TXT-1 monster truck and completed it in January 2002. I ran it on the stock Tamiya silver can motors for awhile and then I installed Trinity black can Monster Maxx motors.

In 2004 I installed a set of Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem motors along with MP Jet planetary gearboxes. This was because rock crawling was just starting to get popular and this particular truck had participated in the 1st RC4WD Rock Crawling Competition and I realized it needed to be geared down for use as a crawler.

But shortly the TXT-1 fell out of favor as a crawler because dedicated rock crawler designs came about rapidly.

With the planetary gearboxes on the motors and the other gearing in the transmission and differentials, it had a final drive ratio at the wheels of 213:1

Yeah, ridiculous torque and pulling power. Nothing could stop it. But, it was slow as molasses in winter!

I decided recently that I was going to pull the gearboxes from the motors and return it to it's former fast self. But not with the same old Trinity motors.

I have some very high power brushed motors from the days before the brushless revolution. These motors are nothing to sneer at. They make mind boggling power. So I decided I would try to fit a couple of them into the TXT-1. Looks like they will fit.

I will be using a pair of Velkom 2828/4 motors. These were manufactured by Model Motors of Czechoslovakia, the same company that now makes the popular AXI line of brushless motors.

I have ordered a set of 5mm, 32P pinion gears. WHen they arrive I can finish the installation.

Stay tuned....
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Last edited by Kmot; Jul 14, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:27 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,976 Posts
The pinions arrived a few days ago. I disassembled the motors so that I could grind some flat spots on the armature output shaft for the grub screws. These motors are very, very impressive the way they were manufactured. Superb machining, assembly, and materials. And probably before CNC machines were available there.

So the motors have been installed back into the transmission. The trans is ready to go back into the truck.

I also took down my Kyosho Mega Force from the shelf. I am going to get it running again as well.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:32 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,976 Posts
I got the new Velkom motors installed into the TXT-1 today. Loaded up a pair of 5000mAh LiPo's and gave her a test. First time I pulled the throttle trigger it almost flipped over. Then drove it around the yard at a relatively sedate speed for about 10 minutes or so, breaking in the brushes.

It's a beastly thing now. Power is quite insane. That's the way I like it.