HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by pmullen503, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:27 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,734 Posts
Discussion
9x gets a Spektrum module from a HP6DSM

Spektrum module extracted from an Eflight HP6DSM and mounted in my Turnigy 9x.

Set up the 9x (with er9x firmware r760) to PROTOCOL=>DSM2 and DSM TYPE=>dsm2only. Set receiver to bind mode and power up the TX while holding the trainer switch. Works perfectly.

Range test on the ground was better that 4/10 mile (limit of ground LOS in my hilly area) and range in the air was the visibility limit of a 1.5m glider (for both the Spektrum and Flysky modules).

The now module-less HP6DSM can still be used as a sim controller or buddy box for my DX6i by cutting the power and ground lines to the HP6DSM trainer port.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Last edited by pmullen503; Jul 23, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:49 AM
Not da momma!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2012
86 Posts
This might sound obvious, but just to be 100%, I need to have er9x flashed on my 9x in order to do this, right? Sorry, but I'm getting anxious waiting for my smartieparts order to arrive.
mrmarc is offline Find More Posts by mrmarc
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:57 AM
Joined Sep 2008
1,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarc View Post
This might sound obvious, but just to be 100%, I need to have er9x flashed on my 9x in order to do this, right? Sorry, but I'm getting anxious waiting for my smartieparts order to arrive.
Yes, upgraded firmware is needed to produce the signal the Spektrum module needs (which is not standard PPM).

You can work on the install before you have the programmer, the radio functions normally when the Spektrum module is not powered up. The stock module (on stock firmware) still works fine, I've just moved the antenna.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:43 PM
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Aug 2012
27 Posts
dsm hack

I want to try this and I have the smartie board on the way now, but I have one question. Could you explain how you switch from the dsm to the factory module? I see you have a servo connector installed but do you have to open the radio every time you want to switch from BNF to the original turnigy reciever? Also would this allow me to fly any bnf model?
Rifled is offline Find More Posts by Rifled
Last edited by Rifled; Aug 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifled View Post
I want to try this and I have the smartie board on the way now, but I have one question. Could you explain how you switch from the dsm to the factory module? I see you have a servo connector installed but do you have to open the radio every time you want to switch from BNF to the original turnigy reciever?
There is a DPDT switch (see last photo) mounted where the Turnigy badge was that switches power and PPM to the Spektrum module. When the Spektrum module is off, the stock module functions normally. You don't have to open the radio, just throw the switch.

You must have the right protocol selected on the 9x in the model memory to match the module you are using. Not sure if it's always necessary, but I power down the radio when I switch modules.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:55 AM
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Aug 2012
27 Posts
Switch

Ok, I see the switch and understand that it can disconnect power and ppm to the new dsm2 module that I will install from my hp6dsm but where do I find the power and ppm for the factory module to interrupt with the Dpdt switch?

I want to be able to easily switch from flying bnf to other planes already using my turnigy receivers. Also do you know if I use the module from the hp6dsm transmitter will this allow me to fly all bnf models? Spectrums web site only shows it is compatible with a few but I don't know if that is because of the module or the firmware in the hp6dsm?

I truly appreciate any help thank you.
Rifled is offline Find More Posts by Rifled
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,734 Posts
You can pull everything from the module pins. Off hand, I think pins 2 and 4 are ground (from the top). Pin 1 and Pin 3 are Vbat and PPM. I can't remember which is which but Vbat is straight voltage from your battery and PPM is the other. The last pin was for the FM antenna and is unused.

I used a servo connector to allow me to disconnect the from and back halves of the radio. I ran Vbat and PPM wires from the 9x's module pin pads to the DPDT switch and then through the servo connector, from there to the 3.3V BEC and the Spektrum module.

All your BNF should work if they are DSM2. The HP6DSM module is not DSMX.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:41 PM
Not da momma!
Joined Jul 2012
86 Posts
So basically, even if you have the DSM module turned on, the original module, when connected, still receives power. Or did I miss the part where you explain how you're interrupting power to it? Did you cut the trace and are supplying a separate 5V to it through the switch?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,734 Posts
Quote:
So basically, even if you have the DSM module turned on, the original module, when connected, still receives power. Or did I miss the part where you explain how you're interrupting power to it? Did you cut the trace and are supplying a separate 5V to it through the switch?
That is correct.

It would be simple to have the DPDT switch send power and PPM to either module by cutting the traces. The reason I didn't wire it that way is that I would need a 5 pin connector to completely separate the two halves of the radio (or attach the antenna, Spektrum module, and BEC to the front half of the radio). Things move pretty fast in the 9x world and I wanted to leave the radio in as original a condition as possible for future modifications.

You can actually leave both connected and powered simultaneously. Some people run it that way all the time. I remove the Flysky module when I use DSM2 and power down the Spektrum module when I use the Flysky. Just seems like a better practice to me.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:39 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,868 Posts
Thank you for the pictures!!!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:10 PM
Not da momma!
Joined Jul 2012
86 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. Now to find the +5V going to the rear module...
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,734 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up. Now to find the +5V going to the rear module...
There is no +5V pin in the module bay.

The module pins from top to bottom are:
1.PPM
2.GND
3.Vbat (straight from battery via main on/off switch)
4.GND
5.Unused

Get a 3.3V BEC (hobbyking or Hobby Partz) to supply your Spektrum module. 5V will instantly fry your Spektrum module!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:04 AM
Not da momma!
Joined Jul 2012
86 Posts
It's not for the dsm module. It's so I can toggle the power on and off with the switch. I'm using the voltage regulator from the hp6dsm to provide the x1txn with 3.3v. I thought the rear module receives 5v?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Sep 2008
1,734 Posts
Quote:
It's not for the dsm module. It's so I can toggle the power on and off with the switch. I'm using the voltage regulator from the hp6dsm to provide the x1txn with 3.3v. I thought the rear module receives 5v?
The module pin is Vbat. The HP6DSM has a 6V battery, the 9x is 7-12V depending on what battery you use. That's a big voltage drop for a 3.3V linear regulator. In the 9x, Vbat is stepped down to 5V before its feed to the 3.3V regulator (which is too small to power the Spektrum module).

A switching BEC is a better option.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:36 AM
Not da momma!
Joined Jul 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
The module pin is Vbat. The HP6DSM has a 6V battery, the 9x is 7-12V depending on what battery you use. That's a big voltage drop for a 3.3V linear regulator. In the 9x, Vbat is stepped down to 5V before its feed to the 3.3V regulator (which is too small to power the Spektrum module).

A switching BEC is a better option.
Not sure how 3.3V is too small for the DSM module when the guides I've read say to feed the DSM module 3.3V via either a 3.3V regulator or a UBEC.

Anyhow, I think you might be misunderstanding me, or I may not be clear. I thought I read that somewhere else that the rear module received 5V. If that were the case, my plan was to cut the original trace and instead route the 5V to the rear module via the switch tapped into a 5V source on the board.

I think there's just a misunderstanding here. If the rear module receives more than 5V, then basically, my easy solution won't work.

FWIW, I'm tapping 5V for my 3.3V regulator (from the HP6DSM) from here:

Again, I must have just misread the part about the rear module using 5V. In this case, yes a BEC would be the better route.