HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:38 PM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Joined Apr 2010
754 Posts
Discussion
DJI OSD for NAZA GPS and WK-M ?

I know it's not out and DJI never said anything about an OSD for Naza or WKM, but I think that is pretty obvious and they are waisting time in releasing it!

So, would be nice if they hurry up and include a few configurable info like:

-Artificial Horizont Level
-RTH altitude configuration
-Multiple batteries amps and volts (main flight pack and FPV)
-Home direction and distance
-GPS declination adjustment
-Speed
-Altitude
-Etc...

Are you listening DJI?
Velociraptor73 is offline Find More Posts by Velociraptor73
Last edited by Velociraptor73; Jul 18, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:59 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,293 Posts
Actually the photos that they showed of the Ruling transmitter with video downlink showed OSD. I think that there was a video at one point. I haven't seen it for many months.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Apr 2010
754 Posts
Well, if DJI doesn't know how to do it, someone does!

Naza+MisioOSD.mpg (1 min 41 sec)
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:51 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,293 Posts
There are a lot of options for OSD using the Naza and WKM. I use Eagle Tree OSD Pro with GPS and eLogger. Works great for my FPV F450. The Team Black Sheep uses the EZOsd and has a simple OSD built into their CORE. I don't know any one that is waiting around for DJI to introduce theirs.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Apr 2010
754 Posts
Tahoe, did you manage to get GPS information from DJI GPS in the Eagle Tree OSD screen?
I have an Eagle Tree and a RVOSD5 laying around but haven't tried them on yet. My F550 frame is already packed with stuff and at the moment what worries me the most are the GPS status since I suspect it to be inconsistent with full sat lock sometimes and it's impossible to know if sat lock is gone when you are flying FPV.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:29 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
i just hate the idea of needing 2 GPS antennas and another voltage sensor.

i for one have seen more people have issues with current sensors on multirotors... i am not ever going to use one. to big of a risk for a total blackout with one.

i would love for DJI to have a Naza+WKM OSD that allowed us to use our own vTx gear.

I HATE the idea of having to use their vTx to use the OSD
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Apr 2010
754 Posts
I totaly agree with you Adidas, but I wish I had a volt/current sensor to warn me of every battery cell in flight. Today on first test of my new 4S pair of 3300mah batteries one of them finished with 2.89v in one cell! Forgot to check battery cell out of the box, but I hope it is not a bad unit or has been ruined now!

Are you serious that a lot of people had black outs mid flight using current sensor? Any specific brand that should be avoided?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:45 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
i have seen around 5 posts in the last week about connectors and current senesor not working and causing black outs on multirotors.

EZOSD is the one i have seen multiples on..

for a fixed wing the amp draw is relatively low and a current sensor is easy.... on a multirotor that can pull 200a at peak full thrust you have some balls or stupidity trusting a little tiny trace on a PCB to carry all that load

I use telemetry on my Dx8 for volts and I time every flight
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:34 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor73 View Post
Tahoe, did you manage to get GPS information from DJI GPS in the Eagle Tree OSD screen?
I have an Eagle Tree and a RVOSD5 laying around but haven't tried them on yet. My F550 frame is already packed with stuff and at the moment what worries me the most are the GPS status since I suspect it to be inconsistent with full sat lock sometimes and it's impossible to know if sat lock is gone when you are flying FPV.
I have it fit on the top plate of my F450. The EagleTree GPS is on the Right Front Arm and the Naza GPS is on the Left Rear Arm. It all works fine for me.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Jan 2012
42 Posts
OK, folks, I guess I am due some more explanation on this...

First of all let me be clear on one thing - I have no relation with the owner of the project, I have no benefits in selling this product, etc. I am just poor customer of the guy who has made it This OSD is a standalone product that has no relation to any of the FC manufacturer, including DJI.

So, with respect to the hardware - it is well know (at least on our local market - Poland, EU) product that has been developed some time ago and is designed for multirotors. There are many of us - FPVers - who are successfully using it. It works like a charm with MikroKopter.de, MultiWii and some other platform that is rather local one. The size of the board is MikroKopter standard, so 50mmx50mm. All you need is to upload appropriate firmware for the platform you want to use it with.

This is commercially available since late 2010, so as you can see for quite some time. Some pic:

The full description and original thread (in Polish) can be found here: http://rc-fpv.pl/viewtopic.php?t=1628. There is also another one on RCG dedicated for MWC version (and yes, in English): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393857

I’d say MIS OSD has all functions of a modern and high quality OSD’s that are available on the market. It does pretty much everything. Just to mention some of functions:
- artificial horizon
- altitude (with baro on FC)
- the distance from the base
- variometer
- current measurement (with the external current sensor)
- voltage (both AV and main LiPo)
- RC RSSI
- timer
- GPS positioning
- speed
- number of satellites locked

And some others depending on the platform and the equipment you have. It is worth to mention that is has in-build LC filter for better quality of AV signal. The OSD view is very much configurable with some predefined layouts you can play with.

With respect to DJI NAZA the OSD is not yet commercially available. I would say it is ready, but need some beta testers to confirm that there are no issues anymore.

The only known limitation for NAZA is that if you have gimbals servos on F1/F2 output active you will have to have Y cable and in case you would like to manually control camera pitch you will be affecting artificial horizon as well (at least this is what I understood, however I am not a NAZA user).

Anyway - I guess you can follow the RCG thread in order to get in hold of the guys down there.

Good luck!
Jack2010 is offline Find More Posts by Jack2010
Last edited by Jack2010; Jul 19, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:08 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
well damn, that looks killer!

so lets see if i understand

it works with like 35 different flight controllers... just update the firmware to match your flight controller.... it works with the WKM and Naza (some limitation)

wow, 2010 how the hell did i not know it existed

cool
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Apr 2010
754 Posts
Thanks Jack2010!

As Adidas said, it looks killer!

Does the maker has a thread for it here at RCG?

I want to jump into the beta tester list by yesterday! LOL
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2010 View Post
It works like a charm with MikroKopter.de, MultiWii and some other platform that is rather local one.

The full description and original thread (in Polish) can be found here: http://rc-fpv.pl/viewtopic.php?t=1628. There is also another one on RCG dedicated for MWC version (and yes, in English): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393857
It is all there... and I am not aware that it is working with WKM.
Jack2010 is offline Find More Posts by Jack2010
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:23 AM
Joined Apr 2010
754 Posts
Looks great!
Maybe DJI should buy a licence to sell it as their own.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:57 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,293 Posts
Sidney posted on another thread that the OSD vtx and vtx will be available in another 2-3 weeks. They modified the form factor to make it smaller. I have to go back and look to see if the preorder S800 people will be getting the OSD vtx or just the vtx.
Site Sponsor