HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:21 PM
Left, NO your other left!
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Jun 2008
792 Posts
I love the build. You have done a great job. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it is done. Here is a video of my Kadet Sr night flyer.
Kadet flying at night. (10 min 16 sec)

-Andrew
weathervane is offline Find More Posts by weathervane
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:24 PM
Dark Yet??
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Dec 2009
1,498 Posts
Finished the wing saddle and the wing fillet. Shaped the leading edge of the wing. Wing is complete except for glassing the center.
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:33 PM
Dark Yet??
Joined Dec 2009
1,498 Posts
Weathervane, that is awesome! Great job. Could you post some pics showing the plane up close and some of the wiring? It looked like clear covering on the fuse and transparent red/green on the wing with matching LED color? Please give me some more details, yours is a great example to go by.

This the foamy I built to test the RGB controller. Should make some nice effects on the Kadet.

RGB Foamy (2 min 6 sec)
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:54 PM
Dark Yet??
Joined Dec 2009
1,498 Posts
The ESC is going to be right behind this top cutout for cooling.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:58 PM
Dark Yet??
Joined Dec 2009
1,498 Posts
Made a servo tray and mounted it low and aft in the cabin area. I wanted it low enough to put a tray at the bottom of the window level to hold the light controllers and other electronics.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:05 PM
Dark Yet??
Joined Dec 2009
1,498 Posts
In the past I have covered planes and then found the push rods to be too floppy and unsupported. Made up all the linkages, test fit the horns and braced all the rods.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:01 PM
Dark Yet??
Joined Dec 2009
1,498 Posts
The battery hatch is going to be on the bottom. I cut out one cross brace. In case the fuse would be weakened by the large hatch opening, I boxed it in with CF.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined Jun 2008
792 Posts
Thank You

Thank you. It is not my design. I coppied it from someone else. Here is a build thread that I did.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56979

Yes, you are right. There are red, green and blue LED's under the red, green and blue transparent covering. The fuse has white LED's under regular white monokote. The white defuses the color and makes it look like a soft white light bulb.

There are 231 LED's in there. (95W, 49R, 50G and 37B) All hand soldered to bare copper wire. About 500 solder joints in total. Post #65 on page 3 has the info on where I got my LED's from.
-Andrew

[QUOTE=Barn-E-Stormer;22896708]Weathervane, that is awesome! Great job. Could you post some pics showing the plane up close and some of the wiring? It looked like clear covering on the fuse and transparent red/green on the wing with matching LED color? Please give me some more details, yours is a great example to go by./QUOTE]
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:35 PM
Dark Yet??
Joined Dec 2009
1,498 Posts
I read thru the build. Very nice.

Today I ordered 25 meters of LED strip and another RGB controller. I hope to use the Cree lights in the fuse.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Jun 2008
792 Posts
Oh yea. One more thing. With the leading edge of the wing sheeted and a solid firewall. The plane can and will totaly disappear. mine does from time to time. Only when coming straight at you.
-Andrew
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:02 AM
Dark Yet??
Joined Dec 2009
1,498 Posts
I don't plan on sheeting the leading edge. Was that just a mod you did or did I miss that on the plan?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:49 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,387 Posts
Have you decided on your covering scheme? I hope you go with white all over, it will really allow your RGB controller to shine!
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Jun 2008
792 Posts
Ok, your plane is different than mine. My plane was a basket case when I got it. The guy was going to toss it. I thought it was a plan built plane. I'm guessing it was not.
I have built up ribs in my wing and a sheeted LE. Mine is also a 3 channel plane.I also had to cut the hatch into the nose. Mine was already a tail drager.So I really have no idea where and what mine is from.
-Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn-E-Stormer View Post
I don't plan on sheeting the leading edge. Was that just a mod you did or did I miss that on the plan?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:41 PM
Dark Yet??
Joined Dec 2009
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Have you decided on your covering scheme? I hope you go with white all over, it will really allow your RGB controller to shine!
Yes I am going all white on the fuse, lit from inside. The wing will be white but with some color accents. I don't know whether to use all white covering and just LEDs to change the color or maybe some panels of red/green on the wing tips. I wish I had made the wing tips out of depron, then they could be lit from inside. I guess the wing tips and the front of the fuse will have some strips on the outside.

Any suggestions and/or pictures are appreciated!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:48 AM
Which one is aileron again?
USA, VA, Blacksburg
Joined Apr 2006
793 Posts
I would add a strip of color to the wings just inboard of the tips to help with any day flying. Otherwise I think I like the idea of all white covering.
prototype3a is offline Find More Posts by prototype3a