SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:36 PM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,308 Posts
This appears to be almost a direct replacement

Maybe I'll order one just to have on hand....
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0kv-EDF/Detail

- S
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:00 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,308 Posts
Update with pics

the first ESC got way too hot and it was a cheapo so I swapped it out with another HK Cheapo.... Similar issue cooler but still too hot. Bear in mind I bought the "kit" without electronics, but as I understand it the parts that come with it are about the same quality level or less as what I used.

So I tore it down and stared at it awhile and wound up running the motor wires out the back and around the top of the wing and mounted the ESC about midway back, (see pics) This cooled it off enough that I was able to fly it and it was only 12 degrees above ambient temperature after a full 6 min. flight.

This also moved the CG back real close to what is recommended and it seems to fly better as well.

only 6 flights on it but now that I have the electronics tweaked we can get down to some real flying now.

I'm not happy with the Tower SG92R's but until one fails I'll live with them and put my Hitec's in when needed.

I had issues seeing it at a distance - I have some vision issues - so I added a bit of color to the bottom to assist with orientation.

Over all I really like it!

- S
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:06 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
802 Posts
Liking the idea of this plane even more thanks to this thread. Nice Pix and update -S- :-)
Can the wings be disassembled for transport in the original box?
And is there a downloadable manual?

-8th
8thelephant is offline Find More Posts by 8thelephant
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:14 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thelephant View Post
Liking the idea of this plane even more thanks to this thread. Nice Pix and update -S- :-)
Can the wings be disassembled for transport in the original box?
And is there a downloadable manual?

-8th
I had kicked around the idea of making it easy to take apart but my truck is big enough so I didn't.... It could prolly be done because the wing halves sorta notch together.

If I get a few this week I'll take some pics of the wing joining I have another kit I bought that is still in the box.

It comes with a manual, I did not see on one the TechOne site, but honestly you really wont need it except for throws.....

It really is a simple creature.

I have one aileron control horn that is coming loose hopefully now that i've typed that I'll remember to tighten it up tomorrow! Simple fix just keep forgetting.

Good luck!

- S
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:29 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
802 Posts
OK, I got a version with motor & fan only.... my LHS gave me a great deal and had only two left!
Went with a HobbyWing FlyFun 40a which seems to be the top of the product line even though very affordable.
My standard Emax ES08MA servos fit perfectly as does a 2200mah 3S batt.

Looking at the wing spar and how loose it is in the wings; I think there's a little tinkering to be done to make the airframe usable with multiple disassemblies. The Tails also need to be removed to store it in the original box.

This is going to be a fun ship
-8th
Last edited by 8thelephant; Aug 15, 2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:01 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,308 Posts
Quote:
OK, I got a version with motor & fan only.... my LHS gave me a great deal and had only two left!
Went with a HobbyWing FlyFun 40a which seems to be the top of the product line even though very affordable.
My standard Emax ES08MA servos fit perfectly as does a 2200mah 3S batt.

Looking at the wing spar and how loose it is in the wings; I think there's a little tinkering to be done to make the airframe usable with multiple disassemblies. The Tails also need to be removed to store it in the original box.

This is going to be a fun ship
-8th

Must be nice to have a Hobby Shop that would carry something like this!

I'm 3.5 hours from one that MIGHT carry it......

Anyway good luck! I'd love to see how it works out as I have another I'm going to build and that one I'm going to use Good servos and ESC just to see if there is any different!

The Hobby wing should work fine, I've not had the opportunity to buy on but I hear they are nice and defiantly better than what I'm using!

I have used the eMax servos in my SuperCub for about 10 flights no issues yet

You'll love it!

Take care, - S
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I can CRA$H that!
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Dec 2010
141 Posts
Mine should arrive today!
thndr1mj is offline Find More Posts by thndr1mj
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:18 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,308 Posts
I ran 7 batteries through it today, now that I'm geting a bit braver I'm getting 5 min. per battery and still coming down with 20% left so taht is a good thing.

Other than not putting enough glue in the tail fins and having to reglue them I have had no issues since I mounted the ESC externally.

Balanced it our nicely as well.

It's very close to becoming my new go-to plane!

- S
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:25 PM
Bedford, Mass. USA
Joined Dec 2007
386 Posts
S, That's good to hear. Glad that yours is up and flying.

I got back from vacation yesterday, so this morning I was able to fly again... and guess what the first plane was? Yep, I got 5 total flights on the Neptune today. I'm getting a solid 4 minutes on the stock components if I fly at half throttle after takeoff, otherwise the battery takes too much abuse.

Great flying today and looking forward to taking up again.
javabeans is offline Find More Posts by javabeans
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:12 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
802 Posts
Glad to hear more flight reports coming in :-)
My build has begun and the Elevons have been shaved where they bind w/ the wings.  Some modification is needed to put the wings back in the box w/ front fins attached. Do these really have any real benefitial flight characteristics?

After reading about the main tails coming off, I'm wondering if Velcro would suffice for attachment or if something like plastic bolts are necessary.

-8th
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:42 AM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Glad to hear more flight reports coming in :-)
My build has begun and the Elevons have been shaved where they bind w/ the wings.  Some modification is needed to put the wings back in the box w/ front fins attached. Do these really have any real benefitial flight characteristics?

After reading about the main tails coming off, I'm wondering if Velcro would suffice for attachment or if something like plastic bolts are necessary.

-8th
8th,

Mine came off for two reasons....

1 - I was very conservative with the CA - I resolved that!
2 - we had a bad cross wind and landing I flipped it over a few times and it went sideways... The foam held up fine which is a good thing!

If you are making them removable, I'd be interested in the velcro idea, I've heard of guys velcroing their motors on, so it might work....

the way the rear fins are laid out I don't think a nut/bolt would work too well you'd need to do front and rear of the real fin to keep then straight.

Post some pics if you can!

- S
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:51 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
802 Posts
Thanks for the advice S,
the build is about 70% complete with several mods and pix are on the way too.

I'm having trouble balancing the CG at the recommended 170-180mm (from the nose) with my 188g battery and wondering how much weight are everyone else's?
Trying my best to keep this bird light for some slope action in the future....

-8th
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the advice S,
the build is about 70% complete with several mods and pix are on the way too.

I'm having trouble balancing the CG at the recommended 170-180mm (from the nose) with my 188g battery and wondering how much weight are everyone else's?
Trying my best to keep this bird light for some slope action in the future....

-8th
8th,

I was obsessing over that as well and I said "screw it" and flew it.....

I had issues with the ESC overheating in the pod, so I moved it back near the motor (see pics in previous post) and it flies much better but I still have not checked CG, if it's going to drive you crazy like it usually does me I'd be more than happy to get an approximate reading....

Home sick so I'll do that in a bit and post the measurement either before or after a nap

- S
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:20 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,308 Posts
CG and you

8Th,

OK well this is interisting, I couldn't tell from the manual if it should be 170-180 from the front or rear because in my manual it shows in the pic from rear, but the wording says front.

Like I said I have not measuerd it after rearranging stuff I'm coming up 165 from the REAR and really like the way it flies, It is much better than when I had the ESC in the Pod.

I dont remember what CG was when it was in the pod, I may have listed it below somewhere but I'm not feeling like looking for it sorry (sick)

So anyway here is two pics, showing CG 165 from REAR and the top as to how I mounted the ESC, when I mounted the ESC I used that black plastic wrap and used a soldering iron to make a tapered divot in the wing and a small one in the Pod cover so that the cover sits flush and proper with no forces that may make it want to pop off.

I must admit this has become my go-to plane, and I'm trying hard to resist throwing some upgrades on it I have lots of ideas... but I'll wait till something breaks.

If anyone has start fiddling I'd love to hear it.

OK never mind the CG pic turned out soooo bad you wouldn't be able to see it but I measured from the bottom of the bird at the REAR along the center-line where the motor wires are supposed to go (mine don't) 165 MM up and that is where mine is

- S
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:54 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
802 Posts
Great S,
Thanks for all the info and photo. Yeah, I do obsess over CG a lot; especially with things I plan to throw over the slopes.
I'm collecting all my pix and will condense most of them into one post based on each mod.
Here's a teaser for the wing spar mod, which worked really well:
Last edited by 8thelephant; Aug 24, 2012 at 03:00 PM.