SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:57 PM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,314 Posts
Just put my Neptunes in the truck!

Couldn't open the box I'm at work. More tonight!
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:13 PM
Bedford, Mass. USA
Joined Dec 2007
386 Posts
Awesome! The assembly is very easy. I put mine together with CA with a bit of kicker to hold the parts together and let the wing sit for 30 minutes before flying it.

I'll be flying some more tonight as well.
javabeans is offline Find More Posts by javabeans
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:57 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,314 Posts
So far so good!

I'm liking it so far, well done well packed, hardware is OK not super good but not bad.

I took a bunch of pics maybe I'll do a mini-review this weekend if time allows.

Setting up the radio now, and if everything works out I'll fly it tomorrow after work, Friday at the latest!

- S
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:14 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -S- View Post
I'm liking it so far, well done well packed, hardware is OK not super good but not bad.

I took a bunch of pics maybe I'll do a mini-review this weekend if time allows.

Setting up the radio now, and if everything works out I'll fly it tomorrow after work, Friday at the latest!

- S
It's Done!

Easiest and most relaxing build I've ever done.

Many pics I'll upload this weekend if there is any interest!

S
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:05 AM
Bedford, Mass. USA
Joined Dec 2007
386 Posts
Got two more flights after work. This thing can certainly fly well at very low throttle. And it's quiet for an EDF, but at low throttle it's almost hard to hear.

Looks like 4 minutes is the longest flight time I can count on with a 3S 2200. Both packs were down to around 25-30% afterward, leaving a slight margin for increased thrust or go-arounds.

Also 100% rates is where I ended up. She doesn't roll like my Assassin, but that is a maneuver machine for combat. Quite aerobatic and a lot of fun to fly at full travel.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
Hi!

I fly my Neptune one week now, found a 3000 Lipo best for balance weight. For starting I have a little bit height on mixer.

A really nice plane which makes fun from slow to fast.

Today I have made a small video (ok, the neptune seems to be very small the whole film) :
@xels Neptune Techone Impeller Nurflügler - Sinsheim Flugplatz (4 min 11 sec)

Best regards!

@xel / Germany
axel999 is offline Find More Posts by axel999
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
177 Posts
Quote:
It's Done!

Easiest and most relaxing build I've ever done.

Many pics I'll upload this weekend if there is any interest!

S
Yes! Any info you can post on build would be appreciated!
NorCal is offline Find More Posts by NorCal
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:42 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel999 View Post
Hi!

I fly my Neptune one week now, found a 3000 Lipo best for balance weight. For starting I have a little bit height on mixer.

A really nice plane which makes fun from slow to fast.

Today I have made a small video (ok, the neptune seems to be very small the whole film) : http://youtu.be/aGKlqQCPHTQ

Best regards!

@xel / Germany
+

Beautiful country! looks like and awesome place to fly.

I saw a few dots up there!

I'm whipped tonight I may try to balance mine but its still 103F (39.4C) and I just dont wanna go out

but after seeing that Vid.... hmmmm... it should cool down in an hour or so.

-S
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:44 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
Yes! Any info you can post on build would be appreciated!
NorCal,

It really is the simplest plane I have ever built they have made it so easy it's not funny!

I bought the Kit, without ESC and Servos all the rest of the parts have bumps and dents and slots too simple!

I'll get the pics out of the Cam tonight and get it ready for when it's too hot outside Saturday!

-S
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:52 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,314 Posts
Speaking of CG

Book says 170mm to 180mm curious where y'all started and have you moved it around a bit?

-S
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:55 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Book says 170mm to 180mm curious where y'all started and have you moved it around a bit?

-S
ROFL - Unless I'm really stupid, the manual shows a pic of the CG being located 170-180 from the Trailing edge forward.

The Text says 170-180 from "the Root Leading Edge""

Maybe I'll get lucky and it's 340mm over all!

-S
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:33 PM
Bedford, Mass. USA
Joined Dec 2007
386 Posts
I just stuck a 3S 2200 into it and threw it into the air. There really isn't much room to adjust the battery for CG... I just have enough space for the ESC, Rx and battery with no extra. It's a deep root wing so the CG is very forgiving anyway.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:58 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by javabeans View Post
I just stuck a 3S 2200 into it and threw it into the air. There really isn't much room to adjust the battery for CG... I just have enough space for the ESC, Rx and battery with no extra. It's a deep root wing so the CG is very forgiving anyway.
Great, Kinda funny I'm usually mr obsessive and have to rebuild it and be sure it's perfectly balanced etc... this time I'm just gonna fly it!

That is step 8 in my 12 step program!

Thanks!
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:06 PM
Bedford, Mass. USA
Joined Dec 2007
386 Posts
I'm usually pretty anal about CG etc as well, but this time I didn't have a choice and went on blind faith.

Like yu said, it's good therapy.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:37 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,314 Posts
First flight report!

Well I did it, it was still too darn hot but It's Texas it's always hot!

Took it out to the back 40 and I decided only to use high rates based on Java's report and kicked it up about 1/2 throttle and launched it with my right hand.....

It was a bit sloppy and I scared the heck out of many grasshoppers as it rode along the grass before I gained altitude but it was up!

I didn't push it, because I heard some grumpiness out of the motor it was cutting out briefly during high throttle gotta look at that,

I did 4 min on a 2200 mAh 30C EZ-Flite battery and it came down with 57% 11.66 volts pretty good.

So next battery I increased the timer to 5 min and same type of battery it came down 42% 11.47 so I may get 6 min. out of it.

I did a good look over before the 3rd battery and the ESC was so hot I couldn't hold on to it and it melted the glue on the Velcro.... I brought her back in before the 3rd flight.

for this build I used el-cheapo parts which i Rarely do, but I've had them laying around and wanted to see if they were any good.

I wound up putting maybe a 1/8 inch of reflex in it to fly level at 1/2 throttle, I believe it is really very nose heavy, but like I said I'm trying not to obsess but if it Is I'll fix that and is should have to require less work out of the ESC but I bet I swap it out with a Castle real soon :-)

I had 50% expo in it and I upped it to 60% for the second flight and that is where I like it so far I still consider myself an intermediate pilot and always error on the side of tame until I get used to an aircraft.

Sooooo now I'm going to try to find the real CG locations, and get it closer or I may try it with a 1800 mah battery and see if it flies better with less heat on the ESC

The ESC is a 40 AMP Tarot desigend for Heli's I may need to see if I can tweak some settings I didn't even look at the presets really I really tried to just throw it together...

Over all I can tell I'm really going to like it, I LOVE my assassin from CTH but this is more what I was looking for right now, a floaty easy to fly Wing and it fills that bill.

We shall see on longevity, I had two good landings but they were in tall grass no damage, I had two false starts on the second flight and did not make it off the ground I tried launching with my left hand so I could keep my right on the sticks.... that may not be how I do it in the future never know.

so I'm going to let it all cool down, see what I need to do to balance it look at the ESC and see if I can tweak it a bit and I'll try it again tomorrow!

So far I give it a Thumbs up!

I have had to other Techone kits and both the motors pooped out rather quick and I head that EDF generally are not a long lived motor so I may tear it down and preemptively start looking for a regalement just so I have the info when I need it.

Good luck guys I have proven against my better judgment you can just toss it together and fly it!

- S