HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
Be waiting for the vid. Mine balances @ 200mm, seemed (from what I could tell in the wind) tail heavy. Was real touchy on stall. I had forgotton my 1/2 ounce of lead to add to the nose. In all fairness it was not a day to maiden it. Will give it another chance on a calm day. The KFm4 wings I normally fly think nothing of windy flying, guess the PW is more critical.
Flyitall. is offline Find More Posts by Flyitall.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
My PW 1200 flew okay built as designed, but didn't fly well at all with a bunch of FPV gear on board. So it went to the "to-be-destroyed" bin. Actually, that should be called the "to-be-experimented-on" bin. Soooo... in an effort to see if I could get it to happily carry more weight, I added a KFm2 airfoil to the wing, I then filled in and fixed the elevons to make them part of the wing and added additional 2" control surfaces on the back of that to increase the overall wing area. Finally, I replaced the small vertical stabs with larger ones made from coroplast. I loaded it up with a 3000 mah flight battery and an additional 1500 mah battery to simulate the weight of my FPV gear. To my surprise, it flew very well. Not a speed demon, but a high lift wing designed to loiter and do some relaxing fpv sight seeing. I was also flying the stock 53 gram 1250kv motor with a 9x5 GWS prop so it should be pretty effecient. Cruised around on 1/2 throttle. Here are some photos.
daronj is offline Find More Posts by daronj
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
That looks like quite a creative save! Maybe NP should hire you for R&D! Mines in time out while I figure out if I really need the creative experience.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Feb 2008
28 Posts
Ok Here's the Popwing 1200 video
flight weight 30 oz
cg as in directions.....195 --206... middle of cg is neutral... rear cg nose heavy
2200 ma lipo 3 cell
two things I did not say in video...fins are on top of the wing to add a little more height
added iron film on the hinge line for a "just in case"

1200 Popwing (10 min 26 sec)
chippedprop is offline Find More Posts by chippedprop
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
Nice flying! Looks like you have it all worked out.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
what's wrong with my 1200 ??

I need help from someone that knows more than me.
On the previous page I read where 'ChippedProp' was experiencing 'snap roll', well, I think that's what is happening to mine every time I try to launch.
I have two PW900 and they both fly perfectly. This 1200 has me baffled. It's a good thing these things can take a beating because this one sure has.
My CG is right at 200. The wing is balanced from side to side. I'm using the supplied motor (T-motor AS2212-10 KV1250). I did have to add quite a bit of weight up front to balance it properly.
I've tried 6", 7" & 8" props. I don't know what else to try.
SpinningProp is offline Find More Posts by SpinningProp
Last edited by SpinningProp; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
A couple more things I forgot to mention. I'm using a DX6i w/HK ORG Rx, 2200 30c battery.
Expo rates on both Aile & Elev set at 60% + 40% recommended by a friend
who has the identical 1200 wing. He even tried launching mine and he couldn't
get it to fly. His flies fine.
Last edited by SpinningProp; Feb 05, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:38 AM
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
I guess not too many people are into the PW1200, anyway, I got mine flying. I moved all the elctronics to the top. I read somewhere that the heavier the wing the CG needs to be more FWD...and that worked. Flies beautifully. It's actually more stable than my 900. I'm glad I got this thing flying before it destroyed itself !
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:31 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Nov 2006
723 Posts
Just got a PopWing 1200, all I can say it's nothin' like a 900 or Mini....different design approach. The 900 and Mini are zoom machines (combat). Clearly the 1200 will be much better at carrying payload (FPV gear) and will be much better at power-off soaring (sink rate and glide). Haven't started the build yet but I'll report about my motor trials. Here is what I'm starting with

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...tor-1.9/Detail

With an AeroNaut 8 x 6 folder
FD Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FD Pilot
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:20 PM
Quad Smasher
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2012
224 Posts
The comment about the pw 1200 taking a beating made me chuckle. I had the same experience. Started with cog dead in the middle of the prescribed range. Mine was almost unflyable and took some amazing crashes. It would go into crazy spins.

I added 60 grams of lead to the front and suddenly found it to fly pretty good. I am still trying to determine the sweet spot and have ordered some larger batteries to replace the lead weights. My current batteries weigh 195 to 205 grams. My motor weighs appx 50 grams.

Through it all the wing has held up very well.
DavidPDX is offline Find More Posts by DavidPDX
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FD Pilot View Post
Just got a PopWing 1200, all I can say it's nothin' like a 900 or Mini....different design approach. The 900 and Mini are zoom machines (combat). Clearly the 1200 will be much better at carrying payload (FPV gear) and will be much better at power-off soaring (sink rate and glide). Haven't started the build yet but I'll report about my motor trials. Here is what I'm starting with

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...tor-1.9/Detail

With an AeroNaut 8 x 6 folder
Hey FD, Can you put a link up to the exact hub & folding prop you are using?
I think I would like to try a folding prop. I don't like prop-savers and I already cracked a motor mount on one of my wings from landing on the ground when I miss the catch.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:59 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Nov 2006
723 Posts
SpinningProp,

I use this series of AeroNaut prop hubs with 7-8" prop blades. Select the collet size for your motor shaft diameter

http://www.espritmodel.com/aeronaut-...ropellers.aspx

Blades

http://www.espritmodel.com/aeronaut-...denthaler.aspx

I use an APC 7 x 5E on my PopWing 900 and an AeroNaut CAM 8 x 6 folder on my PopWing 1200. I use a AeroNaut CAM 8 x 5 folder on my Zupair Z1

Enjoy, report your experiences
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:57 PM
Joined Dec 2010
59 Posts
I just Maidend the 1200mm Popwing and from what I have been reading on the forums....was very apprehensive. I was pleasantly suprised. Cg was spot on (200mm from nose) (no adjustments) and only a slight "up elev" trim was needed. Very spirited wing with gentle glide characteristics. No tendency to tip stall or "death spiral" when checking stall characteristics at altitude. I put in "no" Expo and 20 degrees of throw in both directions (very sensitive to control inputs, however). High speed passes exhibited no elevon flutter. Overall....very impressed!!!!!
----------------------
Flying Weight: 597g (with heavy turnigy battery)
CG: 200mm from nose
Motor: Turnigy 2826/2200kv (320 Watts/29 Amps...need to change my ESC)
Battery:Turnigy 2200mah 11.1v 30c
Propeller: APC 7 X 4 Pusher
ESC: 30 Amp
Servo: 9 gram HXT 900
Rx: Value Hobby 6ch micro rx

I expected to crash and have a bunch of problems....those you-tube videos describing the death spiral and takeoff torque rolls had me nervous. At full power...all I had to do was gently, toss it and the wing was up and gone! So those on the fence....give it a shot. It fly's very nice. I will say that it is not a good choice for those not comfortable flying high performance/aerobatic planes.
Mike
Mike Sloan is offline Find More Posts by Mike Sloan
Last edited by Mike Sloan; Mar 23, 2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 06:43 PM
Everything is Upgradeable.
USA, FL, Gainesville
Joined Aug 2010
1,036 Posts
spinningprop- your wing snap rolls for one of 2 reasons. tail heavy or servos cant handle the torque. from what i have read its the first one. also a simple cure for props not breaking at landing. set brake on and flatten the prop right before touching down.
postalflyer72 is online now Find More Posts by postalflyer72
Old Mar 25, 2013, 01:38 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Nov 2006
723 Posts
Started my Pop Wing 1200 build. Right now I'm modifying the trailing edge to reduce drag and increase area. Doing everything within reason to improve efficiency for soaring so a folding prop is central to the build. Making my own airfoiled winglets too, will document the build. Using HS-81 servos and AR400 Rx. Working now on lightening the tailing edge add-on.

Motor selected:

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Firepowe...otor-E-630.htm

Prop/hub selection:

Aeronaut 30mm folding hub/spinner
http://www.espritmodel.com/aeronaut-...denthaler.aspx
Aeronaut CAM 8 x 6 blades
http://www.espritmodel.com/aeronaut-...ropellers.aspx
Last edited by FD Pilot; Mar 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM.