HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:11 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
173 Posts
Discussion
Nitro Planes 1200mm Pop Wing

Nitro Planes just introduced their 1200mm Pop Wing. Looks like a Techone product but no where does it state that it is so I assume that they are having someone else manufacture it for them which is ok.

I just received my kit. I've purchased a lot of rc kits over the past 50 yrs (darn, there I go again giving my age away) through hobby stores and mail order houses and found this kit one of the most professionally packed I've ever seen. Kit came double boxed, yes double boxed and items inside were individually package and secured which were protected against crush damage. The only way this kit could be damaged is if the delivery truck backs over it. Whoever is in the the kit packaging dept has been down this road before. The instruction manual is well laid out. All in all,,Class Act! Won't have a chance to get it in the air for a couple of wks so can't report on component quality but I did notice it came w/ the AS2212 which is stated in the description rather than the T2208 in the header (N.P. - you might want to make a correction to this). I've been following Nitro Planes customer service & product support history through various medias and to tell you the truth was very surprise when I opened up the box. Oh, by the way,,arrived @ my front door w/in 2 days. My first purchase w/ N.P.

I'm starting this thread w/ the hopes of those folks who have them can share their setups, mods & videos.

Fuselage length:513mm (20.2in.)
Wingspan: 1200mm (47.2in.)
Flying Weight: 520-560g (with battery)
Motor: AS2212 motor, KV 1250
ESC: 30 Amp
Propeller: GWS 8040
Servo: 9-16g servo * 2pcs
Radio: 4/more channel (Not Included)
Battery: 1800-2200mah 11.1v 25c? (Not Included)
NorCal is offline Find More Posts by NorCal
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:31 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,078 Posts
ill be lurking around, looking at it but im never sure about nitro planes
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Trinidad Scorpion
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:24 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
173 Posts
I know how you feel,,,been there done that! Was very hesitant making any purchases but just threw the dice because I had a hunch that the 1200 was a model that they personally were putting together because the Techone name was not in the description or on the wing.

Haven't been down the road returning anything for credit or exchange but I've read where it can sometimes be a hassle,,,, I guess like some other companies. Anyway, in my current situation the transaction went very smooth.
NorCal is offline Find More Posts by NorCal
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,078 Posts
i have been looking at the popwings but this one just so happens to recommend the standard 11.1 1800-2200 that i have lots of laying around. But its a toss up between this and a 3D, but can only afford one right now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
ill be lurking around, looking at it but im never sure about nitro planes
I'm no fanboy, but I've been totally satisfied with both NP and Hobbypartz.
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
My PW came today...pretty much agree w/ Norcal's initial post.

Unless somebody beats me to it I'll post up the build log & maiden
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:20 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2006
602 Posts
I have one and was wondering what motors and props are working for this one. Mine flys but is minimal. I have a exceed rocket 2826-1050 and 10-6 prop. A 9-6 wouldn't keep it up after hand launch. Had to add some lead for cg and running 2200 turnigy 25c lipos.
Beardiedrg is offline Find More Posts by Beardiedrg
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardiedrg View Post
Mine flys but is minimal.

What the...????

I thought these things were supposed to be fast???
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Jan 2006
602 Posts
The 900 I have is great but the 1200 is not going well, I ordered a bunch of motors from leaderhobby, so it sits. I should of ordered the mini popwing instead.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Oct 2008
4,078 Posts
So what's the problems with the 1200 your having? Is it just a lack of power or something more?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Jan 2006
602 Posts
need to hear what motor combinations are working for it, it flys, just no power for climbs or much of anything else. No speed. The rocket motor is powerful, maybe not enough rpm from it.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,078 Posts
time to bump it up a couple cells?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Aug 2010
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
time to bump it up a couple cells?
I bought the kit for the 1200 Popwing and put a 400 SloFly on it from Heads Up RC. I had a 2200 Mah 3 cell with an APC 9x5 prop on it. It was a slow flyer for sure (hence its name). but it was very stable. I guess a .10 motor with a high KV would be interesting as it needs a high KV to be interesting to you young fliers. A small prop on that .10 motor with 3 cells might be enough but if you use 4 cells check the amperage and CG before you go for a test flight. The CG was hard to get with the setup I flew it with and a heavy motor and battery might make the CG hard to acheive. Good Luck!
doublebuck is online now Find More Posts by doublebuck
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,078 Posts
slow flying is not a problem. My favorite plane is my little ol' slow stick that will float with no power in any wind over about 5mph.

any news on the power issue?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:49 PM
September 2010
United States, OR, Lakeview
Joined Oct 2009
332 Posts
Very interested in what motors you are looking at installing in your Popwings. I am thinking about a very high KV that I used in a Mini Slinger for my 35" Popwing. Its an EDF motor that runs at 4400KV with a 5X5 prop. I have had good success with high KV motors and small props on my wings in the past and the Mini Slinger is so fast that it can only handle full power in vertical climb outs. My first one exploded after fluttering.

Will be lurking to see how your Popwing motors work out.
Outback Joe is offline Find More Posts by Outback Joe