HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:17 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
701 Posts
Question
Wing taper: strait LE, strait TE, or dual taper?

I am working the bugs out of my foam cutter & have found a decent formula for wing & fuse dimensions. I have 90% of my electronics, i'm just trying to figure out a few design details that are bugging me.

What are the characteristics of the above mentioned wing tapers? I just don't like the look of a constant chord wing so I wanted to see what the differences are depending on which way I set the templates.

My electronics will weigh in at approx 400gr, yea it's hefty but it's what I've got to work with. I am going for a high wing 48" design with 750-900gr of thrust, depending on prop selection. Since I'll be soo heavy I figure every advantage would be worth the effort. I have decided on a flat or nearly flat bottomed airfoil with 10" root & 8" tip chords. This will give approx 430sq in. including the ailerons.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Last edited by psguardian; Jul 15, 2012 at 07:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:26 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,172 Posts
I'm also not too keen on the look of constant cord wings, but I love the way they fly.
Because of their lift distribution they are resistant to tip-stalling and are generally well behaved. I usually put on tapered full-span ailerons for 'looks.'
The most efficient lift distribution is obtained by using Spitfire type elliptical wings. However these tend to stall 'all over' whereas with the un-tapered wing the 'lazy area' at the tips stalls later than the in-board area.
Variations on the elliptical theme are often seen in high performance sailplanes that have an elliptical leading edge and a straight trailing edge.
Also used are multi-tapered wings, where the straight tapered sections approximate the elliptical plan-form.
Basically, go for a shape that pleases you.
Avoid wings with very pronounced taper and very small cord tips.
Do not have a wing section that becomes thicker, in percentage terms, nearer the tips.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Jan 2012
701 Posts
Elliptical wings, I think, are beyond my cutting skills at present lol. I had seen a chart showing stall characteristics for different designs, on some website, but I can't find it now. Guess I'll take up the hunt again now that I've been away from it for a day.

I'm leaning towards strait LE with the tops of the templates even (since the tip will be thinner than the root this will put a few degrees dihedral into the underside, though I doubt it will be notable.

~psguardian
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Jan 2012
701 Posts
Found it! Just needed to take a break from the search I guess lol.

wing stall chart

As I read it (after elliptical), a gentle taper will have the best stall characteristics.

~psguardian
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Jul 2005
164 Posts
psguardian

Personally, I have found that LE taper with a straight trailing edge is one of the most stable forgiving shapes. This also allows ailerons to be straight and untapered which improves control. Hope this helps
oct2633 is offline Find More Posts by oct2633
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Jan 2012
701 Posts
Good point, I suppose that's why most commercial air liners are set up with strait TE. That way ailerons & flaps are head on and square.

~psguardian